Model Cars Magazine Forum

JoHan 1963 Plymouth Fury Max Wedge

Brutalform

I’ve built a few later 60 cars, but I really would like to add a few of the early Max Wedge 413 and 426 cars. My back problems have kept me from the bench lately, but I’ve been messing around the last two days. 

Ive started on this JoHan 63 Fury, but I also have a JoHan 62 Dart 440, and I am also waiting on two resin cars to be delivered from MCW. I ordered a 1962 Plymouth Savoy sedan, and a 1963 Dodge 330 sedan from MCW. These two will have the fender well headers also.  They should be arriving any day now. 

I plan on using the Lindberg 64 Color Me Gone kit for the chassis, suspension, and engines. All cars will also have Fireball Modelworks rims/ wheels.  

Here are a few pics of the Fury, that I started last night. 

439BD612-8C79-4081-97C5-AAE29A4F1432.jpeg

61F03E28-E271-40CB-8E09-E9DDA3EDD5C6.jpeg

88487420-5A4B-43B0-85C2-6F955D73FF00.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nice work. The old Johan bodies are beautifully engraved and proportioned, and the substitution of the excellent Lindberg chassis and related parts is exactly what's needed. :D

Thanks Bill. 

Im really enthusiastic over these early Mopar builds. I kind of put five other builds on hold since I started playing with this car. I really should get my Roadrunner finished since it’s near completion. 

The JoHan kits are amazing as far as the body goes. I hope the resin kits from MCW are still the excellent quality since Dave sold the company. (Fingers crossed).

You go Tom!

I started a very similar project some months ago, but got a little side tracked when I decided to correct the interior.

It's still waiting in the wings, and I will hopefully get back to it in the not too distant future.

I just have to give kudos to Lindberg for producing the '64 Belvedere and '64 Dodge 330 kits!

While I have absolutely no use for either of them as a project, the chassis and engines are invaluable for those of us who need more detailed parts to put under our "good" Johan bodies.

In the future I will need a whole bunch of them to finish a line of Johan Plymouth and Dodge kits including a '62 Dart convertible, '63 Polara convertible and '64 Polara hard top, and '62, '63, '64 and '66 Furys.

I'm currently using one for my '65 Fury build.

Steve

I’m following your 65 build. 

I actually have the 64 Color Me Gone car started on the bench. It’s a plain white car.  Just waiting on some turquoise paint for the interior. That’s what gave me the idea for all this other Mopar stuff. 

52 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

You go Tom!

I started a very similar project some months ago, but got a little side tracked when I decided to correct the interior.

It's still waiting in the wings, and I will hopefully get back to it in the not too distant future.

I just have to give kudos to Lindberg for producing the '64 Belvedere and '64 Dodge 330 kits!

While I have absolutely no use for either of them as a project, the chassis and engines are invaluable for those of us who need more detailed parts to put under our "good" Johan bodies.

In the future I will need a whole bunch of them to finish a line of Johan Plymouth and Dodge kits including a '62 Dart convertible, '63 Polara convertible and '64 Polara hard top, and '62, '63, '64 and '66 Furys.

Steve

There is a guy on eBay that sells the chassis and engines from the Lindberg kits. Not sure if you would prefer to just get the whole kit, and rob all of the other parts out of it as well. 

I also have a chassis from the Moebius 65 Plymouth, but that floor is just a little to wide. I still might be able to finagle into one of these projects though, since it’s a complete chassis and was only $5. 

Edited by Brutalform

9 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

I have a choice of these three hood scoops. Looking online at some max wedge cars, it seems scoops are personal preference. I think the third one looks the best for this particular car.

C85B67BE-5356-4901-B61A-291AEE04059F.jpeg

This is the one that appears to be the most correct for this car.

Personally, I don't care for either of the others.

Actually, I prefer no hood scoop at all.

That is how I will finish mine.

In my opinion, the scoop looks too busy.

Without it, you get a much smoother, "sleeper" look.

This is similar to how I will be doing mine.

No scoop, and no wheel covers......minus the white walls.

Steve

image.png.b7bd83e6af0c0ad5c39f6c028d773bb8.png

10 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is the one that appears to be the most correct for this car.

Personally, I don't care for either of the others.

Actually, I prefer no hood scoop at all.

That is how I will finish mine.

In my opinion, the scoop looks too busy.

Without it, you get a much smoother, "sleeper" look.

This is similar to how I will be doing mine.

No scoop, and no wheel covers......minus the white walls.

Steve

image.png.b7bd83e6af0c0ad5c39f6c028d773bb8.png

Should look really fine. The max wedge engines fit pretty nice under a flat hood. 

I was planning on building the 62 Dart 440 with a more stock appearing look similar to your plan, right down to the steel wheels. 

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I was thinking, at one time, of using a similar hood scoop on my '65 Fury.

I just couldn't bring myself to glue a scoop to such a rare kit! ^_^

Steve

I know what you are saying. Since I’m going to use the Lindberg scoop, I can use the kits hood with its mounting holes, as well as the air cleaner inlet holes, as a template. Still will be extra careful. 

31 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

I know what you are saying. Since I’m going to use the Lindberg scoop, I can use the kits hood with its mounting holes, as well as the air cleaner inlet holes, as a template. Still will be extra careful. 

The '63 Plymouth is a little less scary.

It is much easier to find. :)

Steve

8 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

You'll be good to go using the Lindberg chassis and suspension for the '62 dart, '63 Polaras and the '62-64 Furys. They all used the B-body chassis with a 116" wheelbase. The '65 and '66 Furys were built on the C-body platform which had a 119" wheelbase. You can use the Moebius Mopar chassis or scarf up either of the Revellogram '68 or '69 Chargers. Some surgery will be required on these also because the '66-'70 Chargers were built on the B-body platform with 117" w/b.