Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Mercury Cyclone restoration

thatz4u

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:31 AM, disabled modeler said:

Al my friend.... I thought of that too...bad thing is I need some parts that are unique to the 70 and 71 Cyclones.

bumpers

taillights

glass

chassis

some interior parts

trunk spoilers

etc.

Might be able to get some parts for them from the MPC Nascar kit if I had any of them..???

Hi get a hold of Kevin at missinglink resin he makes the repop of both and has all of the parts your looking for and he has them chromed I have the two kits from him you cant tell them from the plastic kits.

15 hours ago, rickcaps55 said:

Hi get a hold of Kevin at missinglink resin he makes the repop of both and has all of the parts your looking for and he has them chromed I have the two kits from him you cant tell them from the plastic kits.

Thanks...With my so called budget I hope I can do something about that.    

• 3 months later...

This has been my #1 Holy Grail kit since the mid-1990's. Prices are just plain out of my budget. The story that I heard in the early-2000's was that AMT/Ertl was evaluating all of their model car kit tooling buried in a warehouse somewhere in the US, and knowing that there was consumer-interest in this kit being reissued in its stock form, they were pleasantly surprised to find tooling with "71 Cyclone Spoiler" lettering handwritten on the outer-surfaces of the tooling they found.

The tooling looked to be in good condition and ready-to-go, so they ran a test-shot and poured some liquid-styrene into that mold. Problem was, what came out of that mold was the MPC Hemi Dart! 

Well, that kit was also on the "consumer-wants" list, so that's what got reissued!  I don't know if that story is true or not; I just remember that it dashed my hopes!

On 8/22/2019 at 8:16 PM, '70 Grande said:

This has been my #1 Holy Grail kit since the mid-1990's. Prices are just plain out of my budget. The story that I heard in the early-2000's was that AMT/Ertl was evaluating all of their model car kit tooling buried in a warehouse somewhere in the US, and knowing that there was consumer-interest in this kit being reissued in its stock form, they were pleasantly surprised to find tooling with "71 Cyclone Spoiler" lettering handwritten on the outer-surfaces of the tooling they found.

The tooling looked to be in good condition and ready-to-go, so they ran a test-shot and poured some liquid-styrene into that mold. Problem was, what came out of that mold was the MPC Hemi Dart! 

Well, that kit was also on the "consumer-wants" list, so that's what got reissued!  I don't know if that story is true or not; I just remember that it dashed my hopes!

try the swapmeets, I found the Cyclone & a Revell 70 Torino as a package deal....?

• 3 weeks later...