Model Cars Magazine Forum

427 Ford Galaxie and Round2 Torinos Stock Car Racing Heyday 60's

Here's the 'kit' angle.

Grab one of those 427 Ford's while they are available to help you remember this article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_car_racing#Heyday

Wikipedia 'Stock Car Racing'.Read the Early Days and Heyday sections.Read them good.

Another 'kit' angle.

Hello Round 2.Bring out some Torino's and the Mercury versions and the race versions.

Those have been missing from their 'Big Push' bringing out all kinds of stuff lately.

Torino and sister cars are historically significant.Read the article.

I 'jumped over' the Torino's and homed in  on the Mercury Cyclones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Cyclone#Third_generation_(1968-1969)

This little bit about the '69 special models for stock car racing is right on the money.

'

Spoiler II

Mercury produced a version of the Cyclone for NASCAR called the Cyclone Spoiler II. The model was available in two flavors. The street version featured a 351 cu in (5,752 cc) Windsor block, and was used to enter into the NASCAR business. The racing version featured a 429 cu in (7,030 cc) Boss block, which was the same engine as the one in the 1969 Boss Mustang.

Cobra Jet

Mercury also added a new model to the Cyclone line: the Cobra Jet (CJ).[3] The Cobra Jet's engine was a 428 cu in (7,014 cc) which generated 335 hp (250 kW). The engine had a Ram Air option, a 735 CFM Holley four-barrel carburetor[4] although the option showed no quoted difference in horsepower rating. The Mercury Cyclone CJ had the following enhancements over the Cyclone and Cyclone GT: it had a blacked-out grille; dual exhausts; 3:50:1 axle ratio; engine dress-up kit (chromed parts); hood (bonnet) stripes; and a competition handling package.

Very gnarly little mobiles! 428 and 429 very cool engines!

Look close at picture.It's a Dan Gurney edition!

5cc280501a420_MercuryCycloneSpoilerIIDanGurney.jpg.b4c2176f1a3a612cb75142657ee49fa1.jpg

Edited by regular guy

Well.Lookee here!

https://www.autoworldstore.com/product-p/pol948.htm

Polar Lights Mercury  Cyclone.Looks like it's a Spoiler II to boot.

It's a pro modeler type kit.I would be happy with a leftover AMT or MPC Torino or Cyclone.Big block would be a plus.

What I DO LIKE about this kit is '427 or 428'.That is a pretty 'in the know' feature to add.

Haven't a clue about this 'Coca Cola' stuff.If it gets the kit on the shelf oh well!

Think I get what Round 2 is up to.

They are putting out the low volume kits at higher price extra feature version.

Bad sign for us 'Cheap Skate Experienced Tread Heads.'

5cc294cb64152_PolarLightsMecuryCyclone.jpg.0e90d66ddb078db5d582a03610a8dbc3.jpg

Edited by regular guy

Bobby Allison did have Coke sposorship on this car apparently.   A quick Googel search turned up a few real car photos.   If I were still building NASCAR stuff, this wold be a for sure car.   I built a Smokey Yunick version a few years back.   Still have an extra set of decals.

On 2019-04-26 at 5:15 AM, regular guy said:

Here's the 'kit' angle.

Grab one of those 427 Ford's while they are available to help you remember this article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_car_racing#Heyday

Wikipedia 'Stock Car Racing'.Read the Early Days and Heyday sections.Read them good.

Another 'kit' angle.

Hello Round 2.Bring out some Torino's and the Mercury versions and the race versions.

Those have been missing from their 'Big Push' bringing out all kinds of stuff lately.

Torino and sister cars are historically significant.Read the article.

On 2019-04-26 at 7:17 AM, regular guy said:

Well.Lookee here!

https://www.autoworldstore.com/product-p/pol948.htm

Polar Lights Mercury  Cyclone.Looks like it's a Spoiler II to boot.

It's a pro modeler type kit.I would be happy with a leftover AMT or MPC Torino or Cyclone.Big block would be a plus.

What I DO LIKE about this kit is '427 or 428'.That is a pretty 'in the know' feature to add.

Haven't a clue about this 'Coca Cola' stuff.If it gets the kit on the shelf oh well!

Think I get what Round 2 is up to.

They are putting out the low volume kits at higher price extra feature version.

Bad sign for us 'Cheap Skate Experienced Tread Heads.'

5cc294cb64152_PolarLightsMecuryCyclone.jpg.0e90d66ddb078db5d582a03610a8dbc3.jpg

If you have looked into the box of one of the Polar Lights (now owned by Round 2) Ford Torino Talladega's or Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II's you know that they come with everything needed to do a period correct NASCAR car.
The kits themselves are not exactly "Pro Modeler" style and are not easy to build as they needs a lot of work to be a nice model, so on a skill level scale where 3 are most difficult they are about 5...with that I mean very challenging.
There are two engines in both kits, a 427 and a BOSS 429 (no 428 as they didn't use that engine in NASCAR) so you can build both versions.
These are not difficult to find, there are lots of them on the auction site for around $20-$25.

Models we need IMHO is new tool kits of 1963 and 1964 Ford Galaxies...the old ones AMT did are ...well old and leaves lots to desire...so we need more correct ones...they can be based on the 1960 Ford Galaxie Starliner tool as the chassis and drive train can be used from that kit...but we need new bodys, interiors and bright parts.