Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don Schumacher '68 Barracuda F/C

bogger44

Earlier in the week I finally managed to put the wraps on this one.  These Polar Lights kits aren't the easiest to build, but not the worst either.  That being said it was still a fun build and look forward to the days when I build the other ones I have lurking in the stash.  The decals gave me some headaches as, even with a coat of Microscale decal film applied, they cracked in several areas.  I just patched them up the best I could and did some small paint touch-up work to them.  The rubber supercharger drive belt broke on me, so I made one out of Tamiya masking tape.  I drilled out the ends of the headers as well, and the rest of the build is box stock.  Paint is Model Master GTS Blue Pearl lacquer.  Thanks for checking it out and any comments/questions.

2v2EsYBPWxAKN8F.jpg

2v2EsYF7rxAKN8F.jpg

2v2EsYiinxAKN8F.jpg

2v2EsYmmTxAKN8F.jpg

2v2EsYRgFxAKN8F.jpg

2v2EsY5ECxAKN8F.jpg

2v2EsYNySxAKN8F.jpg

2v2Es7v7gxAKN8F.jpg

2v2Es7ueNxAKN8F.jpg

2v2Es7us5xAKN8F.jpg

2v2Es7undxAKN8F.jpg

• bogger44 changed the title to Don Schumacher '68 Barracuda F/C
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:26 PM, bogger44 said:

Earlier in the week I finally managed to put the wraps on this one.  These Polar Lights kits aren't the easiest to build, but not the worst either.  That being said it was still a fun build and look forward to the days when I build the other ones I have lurking in the stash.  The decals gave me some headaches as, even with a coat of Microscale decal film applied, they cracked in several areas.  I just patched them up the best I could and did some small paint touch-up work to them.  The rubber supercharger drive belt broke on me, so I made one out of Tamiya masking tape.  I drilled out the ends of the headers as well, and the rest of the build is box stock.  Paint is Model Master GTS Blue Pearl lacquer.  Thanks for checking it out and any comments/questions.

2v2EsYBPWxAKN8F.jpg

2v2EsYF7rxAKN8F.jpg

2v2EsYiinxAKN8F.jpg

2v2EsYmmTxAKN8F.jpg

2v2EsYRgFxAKN8F.jpg

2v2EsY5ECxAKN8F.jpg

2v2EsYNySxAKN8F.jpg

2v2Es7v7gxAKN8F.jpg

2v2Es7ueNxAKN8F.jpg

2v2Es7us5xAKN8F.jpg

2v2Es7undxAKN8F.jpg

This is a fantastic build. I have this kit and the Gas Ronda Mustang in my stash. I have heard many comments about all the Polar Lights funny cars having issues. Never heard specifics in those comments. Could you tell me what you encountered?  

Thanks again guys, it's not my best work but it still looks good on the shelf.

13 hours ago, AAFC said:

This is a fantastic build. I have this kit and the Gas Ronda Mustang in my stash. I have heard many comments about all the Polar Lights funny cars having issues. Never heard specifics in those comments. Could you tell me what you encountered?

Thanks James.  All in all it goes together fairly well, with just a few hiccups along the way.  I'm not sure if what I experienced is what other folks come across when building these, but heres what I dealt with.  Nothing super frustrating or overly complicated but a smidge aggravating....

The biggest problem I'd say was the rear suspension.  Even with the chassis square and true, when installing it the left ("drivers") side of the axle was tucked up farther to the chassis than the other side, causing the right front tire to catch air.  Not sure why, everything was mounted and installed properly.  With finding no real answer why, I just trimmed off the top side of the mounting hub on the brake caliper and glued it/tire assembly to the axle at a location where all four tires were on the ground.

I had a bit of a time getting the roll cage to stay squared up, the right rear corner kept wanting to pop up.  Eventually super glue, holding it in place, and patience won out.

The drivers side lower tin work needed to be trimmed a bit on the top side to get it to fit better and not show past the bottom of the body.

The rear window needed to be trimmed down a little for better fitment.  I should have done a little more as mine still doesnt sit quite right (bottom left corner).

That's pretty much it I believe other than the relatively vague instructions and the aforementioned decals.  While not a pain free build, they are still quite a bit of fun to work on and are great subjects to boot.  I think you'll enjoy building your's (hopefully Lol) and wish you good luck!

Edited by bogger44

Thanks guys.

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 9:57 PM, GaryR said:

Looks good! fiddly kits. The gold wheels look really good, what did you use?

I agree, they are definitely fairly fiddly.  It was an old can of Plastikote Odds n Ends Antique (I think) Gold.  There was barely enough paint left in the can to get those wheels painted, so it got tossed out afterward.