Model Cars Magazine Forum

Something New At Hobby Lobby

My last visit to the Niagara Falls HL had nothing new, but lots of empty shelf slots. The tractor on it's own does nothing for me, but, I could see it as part of a truck diorama or something similar. But it does look cool, only cause its not something you see normally as a car model kit.

7 hours ago, Goose1957 said:

I saw that at Hobby Lobby too. What was unusual was that it wasn't shrink wrapped, but taped on the ends. Looked old school. Now I need one too, lol.

Jeff 

Saw a few kits at my HL that were taped & not sealed, maybe they are cutting down on plastic wraps like Walmart is going to stop using plastic bags...:unsure:

It seems that the new Revell kits aren't shrink-wrapped, only taped. I bought the Porsche tractor at my LHS yesterday, and the manager said he had just shrink-wrapped it. I'm thinking to myself, why would he shrink wrap a model that just came in? I got the shrink-wrap off, and it was taped on the short ends, just like the Panamera or most of the Revell Germany flat box kits I've purchased (some from him). Go figure.

Anyhoo, that little Porsche tractor is a blast to build. I'm probably half way through. I'm only detail painting most of the chassis pieces but will clear the body parts. If I see the Ferguson, I might pick that up too after this.

Interestingly enough, there is a small sticker on the bottom of the kit:

REVELL USA LLC
03-19-2019
NORTHLAKE IL

Its neat little kit, I highly recommend getting, I had fun building mine.  I dont know why you guys are all shocked that HL has it,  its been reboxed for the US, and its a part of the line of kits from Revell that HL sells.

Edited by martinfan5

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:15 PM, oldcarfan said:

I went by Hobby Lobby to get some paint and of course had to pass by the model kits. This one surprised me, I wasn't expecting them to be getting the Porsche tractor. One followed me home to add to my Porsche collection.

Looks like your Hobby Lobby also has the Revell "California Wheels" VW Beetle.  I thought that kit was long out of production.  Two Hobby Lobbys near me still have shelf spaces labeled for it and open. But I haven't seen the VW kit for probably over a year, and that was only 1 kit in one store.  I thought about getting it, didn't. Then next time I went back, it was gone. Typical. 

Thanks for heads-up on the tractor, I'll keep an eye out for that one.

Stopped to get some spray paint at my go to Hobby Shop today. They had the Round 2 AMT '55 Chevy reissue on the counter. This maybe old news but I hadn't seen one till now. Looking at the box they show some interesting new decals with two different sets of flams.   

On 4/29/2019 at 11:12 AM, Mike999 said:

Looks like your Hobby Lobby also has the Revell "California Wheels" VW Beetle. 

I've been looking at that kit for a while but always put it back. Is it same one that came out in the 60s as the Empi Inch Pincher 2?

6 minutes ago, oldcarfan said:

I've been looking at that kit for a while but always put it back. Is it same one that came out in the 60s as the Empi Inch Pincher 2?

No relation.  The Inch Pincher II was 1/25 scale.  The Calif. Wheels is 1/24 scale and a much newer kit.   

I bought one of the Porsche tractors two weeks ago at my local Hobby Lobby. I went back yesterday and they were all gone. 

I had remarked before on this board that I only saw kits on sale once at this particular store. Yesterday as I was looking at kits, one of the guys working there started a conversation. So I asked.. he told me that’s there is a guy who stops in nearly every day and will buy ALL the kits on clearance sale! No doubt someone reselling. Strange because I don’t even know anyone local into models!

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and saw the Porsche tractor and the '34 Ford pickup.  They did not have the '59 Imperial, so I bought the '66 Mercury and Ford GT snap kit.

Edited by Motor City
forgot to mention '34 Ford pickup

On 5/5/2019 at 3:21 PM, Tom Geiger said:

'..there is a guy who stops in nearly every day and will buy ALL the kits on clearance sale! No doubt someone reselling. Strange because I don’t even know anyone local into models!'

Most likely the guy buys them and lists them on Facebook Marketplace or parts them out on eBay. There is a local guy to me who always has kits for sale on FB that I know he bought on HL clearance and several people part them out and list the pieces on HL for silly high prices.

I finally gave up on Hobby Lobby and ordered that Porsche Tractor from an on-line vendor.  Along with the Round 2 '60 Chevy Pickup/Go-Kart, another Italeri 1/24 scale Guard Rail and Road Section, and a Round 2 '29 Ford "Mod Rod" that was on sale for $20.42.

I would like one of these.  It looks to be about the size of the Ford 8N we had on the farm.  One of our neighbors had a Golden Jubilee, I'm thinking it was a little bigger than our 8N though, it had a cool looking badge on the grille.