Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine Block Question

Hi, I picked up a small box of junkyard parts thrown in from a yard sale purchase.There are quite a few engines not complete so I was trying to salvage some stuff to make dirt  track engines. I am not to great at engine detailing but do know the basics between the big three makers,. I cant identify the one block with two side pics.There is a small crease /dip on the right side. The third pic is top view of intake manifold of different block  altogether. If anyone can please help with info on these two pics that would be great. Thanks.    T82

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

In my humble opinion,  if the valve covers and intake are correct for that engine it appears to be a small block Chevy. I am no expert on the older kits but the tranny looks to be an automatic of a pre '60's vintage. To me it doesn't resemble either the 350/400 model. 

2 hours ago, Rider said:

In my humble opinion,  if the valve covers and intake are correct for that engine it appears to be a small block Chevy. I am no expert on the older kits but the tranny looks to be an automatic of a pre '60's vintage. To me it doesn't resemble either the 350/400 model. 

It looks to me as though somebody glued the valve covers directly to the block, with no cylinder heads, so the engine is just about impossible to identify (and note that the valve covers don't match each other anyway)...though the valve covers do have the old smallblock Chebby bolt pattern. But...the trans CAN be identified, and since the trans is molded with the block, that at least gets the engine in the right manufacturer's ballpark.

Far as the trans goes, it looks to me like a Ford C6. It has the big servo housing in the right place, the right general shape, the signature bulge immediately forward of the servo, an integral bellhousing and a bolt-on tailshaft housing, but there's a dip in the top of the main case probably put there by the tooling designers so it would clear something else on the model...kinda like they used to put holes in blocks for the old wire axles.

This is a C6. Compare.    Image result for Ford C6 transmission

You also have to remember that a lot of tooling designers don't really understand how cars work or what the parts do, so you often get blobular parts that make no sense and have no solid basis in reality.

That's what we have in the white blob at the bottom. The intake manifold has non-symmetrical and incorrectly-staggered ports that don't exist on any real V8 engine, though they're sorta arranged like Chebby smallblocks and some others. But a Chebby smallblock (or big block) manifold would have a hole at one end for the thermostat housing, and a hole at the other end where the distributor goes.

Like this SBC manifold:   image.jpeg.c6301035eddaf2c3b0de8f1063a3d8a8.jpeg

The white thing is so bad, you wouldn't want to use it in anything you wanted to be a "nice" model. Funny though...the trans looks like it might be OK. Post some shots of the trans and we'll see if we can tell what it's supposed to be.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy