Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sledsel

May 2019 Round 2

Recommended Posts

As for the Pintos, all of those are hatchbacks. Here is one of mine that is the 1971 with a trunk and is the only one I know of that is not a hatchback, also has the thin bumpers. The quality is passable. Has the stock or boss engine. Someday it will get done; stock version.

20190501_235425.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer the MPC Pinto as it's a better kit, but I'll take whatever I can get!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 8:29 PM, 1972coronet said:

Neither is any V8 --- small-displacement Windsor or , especially , the Cleveland... let alone the 429/ 460 ! Why ? That stock differential ! It was , what , 6 7/8 ring gear ? Hardly acceptable even behind a 4-cylinder ! Perhaps it's an easy DIY swap , but it would be nice to see a 9" rear tooled up for the AMT and MPC Pinto and Mustang II .

I built a 302 in a '72 Pinto and even though I had an 8" rear end for it NEVER swapped it in and never had a problem with the stock rear axle. And it was a lot of fun, the wife was driving it one day when some guy was pestering her on the freeway when he noticed the twin exhaust pipes and after a couple of his attempts she just floored it at about 65 mph and it kicked down to 2nd gear (C-4) and smoked both rear tires (BF Goodrich Comp T/A radial D-50x13s) the guy pulled in behind her and didn't bother her anymore. And it was just the last high compression 302, and a 4412 Holley two barrel carb. But it did bend both main leafs in the rear springs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2019 at 6:15 AM, iBorg said:

Online research shows the Ridge Runner being released in 1975. MPC offered a 1977 and 1978 Pinto.

They also released a '74 sedan. Not a Runabout, the only other sedan released was the one year only 1971 Wonder Pony from AMT. The MPC release had the deluxe body side moldings and trim and the AMT kit was based on the no options base model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2019 at 6:33 AM, Daddyfink said:

The Pinto is being pretty much issued in it's final tooling configuration. The '76 had the grill we all know and love, and it was in '77 that things got funky. Hopefully they are doing this before the back date the tooling to something most of us really want, the flat nose Pinto. 

Sadly, not my kit. 

Image result for AMT 76 Pinto

They need to dig up the MPC tooling and give us the goods! 

Image result for mpc 76 Pinto

Related image

The '75 was the last with the the vertical teeth in the grille, the '76 had a one year only hideous (imo) eggcrate design grille. The '77-'78 flexible front end pieces became popular with mini stock racers who would pop rivet or structural adhesive plastic plates over the headlight openings to give them an aerodynamic appearance and get a forgiving front end out of the deal.

Edited by horsepower
Misspellings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2019 at 9:37 PM, myahway said:

As for the Pintos, all of those are hatchbacks. Here is one of mine that is the 1971 with a trunk and is the only one I know of that is not a hatchback, also has the thin bumpers. The quality is passable. Has the stock or boss engine. Someday it will get done; stock version.

20190501_235425.jpg

The MPC '74 Pinto was also a sedan as was their '76. But that one had the wrong grille making it a '75 in all actuality. The '74 had the deluxe body side moldings and trim, I am building a model of our first '71 using the early front and rear valance panels, the early interior tub, but the '74 body to get the body side moldings. 

Edited by horsepower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  AMT-1154 1/25 Fooler Fueler Digger Dragster $30.95 TBA
  AMT-1160 1/25 Coca-Cola White Western Star Semi Tractor Cab $47.95 TBA
  AMT-1161 1/25 Coca-Cola 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery Van $34.95 TBA
  AMT-1163 1/25 Don Garlits Wynns Jammer Dragster $32.95 TBA
  AMT-1164 1/25 Big Rig Semi Trailer $39.95 TBA
  AMT-1167 1/25 1925 Ford T Chopped Coupe $32.95 TBA
  AMT-1168 1/25 1995 GMC Sonoma Pickup Truck $32.95 TBA
  AMT-1169 1/24 Peterbilt 378 Long Hauler Semi Tractor Cab $78.95 TBA
  AMT-1170 1/24 Reefer Semi Trailer $78.95 TBA
  AMT-1171 1/25 Plymouth Valiant Scamp Kit Car

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AMT-PP22 1/25 Firestone Drag 500 Tires Pack (8) $16.95 TBA
  AMT-PP26 1/25 Monster Truck Tire Parts Pack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  MPC-920 1/25 1974 Plymouth Road Runner $31.95 TBA
  MPC-921 1/25 Don The Snake Prudhomme Wynns Winder Dragster $32.95 TBA
  MPC-922 1/25 1978 Dodge Monaco CHP Police Car $32.95 TBA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the GMC Sonoma will be a straight reissue or if they'll add anything new to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if those two really expensive Truck Kits are in fact reboxed Italeri.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

I wonder if those two really expensive Truck Kits are in fact reboxed Italeri.

That's what I was thinking too!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good gravy boat, Round2 is creeping those prices up .

Those two 1/24th kits stick out like a sore thumb in a sea of 1/25th scale kits, no doubt those are going to be reboxed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
8 hours ago, Mr mopar said:
  MPC-922 1/25 1978 Dodge Monaco CHP Police Car $32.95 TBA

Interesting, new decals and I hope, new wheels push- and lightbar too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firestone Drag 500 tires are they the gasser slicks ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Firestone Drag 500 tires are they the gasser slicks ?

They're probably the same ones as are included in the '69 Chevelle.  Those slicks are the ones used previously for the "small" M&H slicks (the hollow ones, not the "piecrusts").  Front tires are the smaller hollow units previously printed as Goodyear Polyglas GT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mark said:

They're probably the same ones as are included in the '69 Chevelle.  Those slicks are the ones used previously for the "small" M&H slicks (the hollow ones, not the "piecrusts").  Front tires are the smaller hollow units previously printed as Goodyear Polyglas GT.

may be good for 69'-70's pro stock cars ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

may be good for 69'-70's pro stock cars ?

I'm pretty certain those slicks were first available in '70.  Revell's '70 'Cuda Sox & Martin version has decals for the tire lettering, but it's incomplete as I recall (don't have that kit).  The tires and slicks in the Chevelle kit are very well done IMO.  They'll be good for early Pro Stock cars, before the wheel tubs and tube chassis came in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mark said:

I'm pretty certain those slicks were first available in '70.  Revell's '70 'Cuda Sox & Martin version has decals for the tire lettering, but it's incomplete as I recall (don't have that kit).  The tires and slicks in the Chevelle kit are very well done IMO.  They'll be good for early Pro Stock cars, before the wheel tubs and tube chassis came in.

that's what I wanted to here AWESOME ! Thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luc, I'll bet you $10.00 US that the CHP Dodge is Decals only. Sadly, I don't see Round2 spending any money on revising the tool. I wish they would too. I'd like to see it modified to produce  and older Dodge or Plymouth as well, and that will never happen either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, alexis said:

Luc, I'll bet you $10.00 US that the CHP Dodge is Decals only. Sadly, I don't see Round2 spending any money on revising the tool. I wish they would too. I'd like to see it modified to produce  and older Dodge or Plymouth as well, and that will never happen either.

Dunno, cuz didn't they tool up new wheels for the D100 P/U?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

Dunno, cuz didn't they tool up new wheels for the D100 P/U?

It would be nice to see new wheels and tires for the Monaco.  I don't have the most recent Joker version, but I assume it still has the overly wide wheels like previous issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luc, you are correct about the Wheels on the Dodge P/U. However, I contend since so much work had to be done to get the Dodge ready to go, that new wheels were not a problem.  The Monaco is on the shelves right now, with the Joker/Gotham PD kit. I don't see Round2 investing any more money in the kit, when all it needs is decals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, alexis said:

Luc, you are correct about the Wheels on the Dodge P/U. However, I contend since so much work had to be done to get the Dodge ready to go, that new wheels were not a problem.  The Monaco is on the shelves right now, with the Joker/Gotham PD kit. I don't see Round2 investing any more money in the kit, when all it needs is decals.

I have a couple of the goon kits,  the Force 440 and some resin bits and pieces to transform them into Monaco's and Fury's (CHP, Hunter & NYPD)

if Round-2 goes the extra mile they will sell me some extra kits, if not, then I spend my money on something else....no biggie.

 

Ps: If anyone here has some leverage with the powers at R2, then let them know to fix the damage on the LH grille insert, if not done already with the last release of the Goon car.

 

i004938.jpg

 

Edited by Luc Janssens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...