Model Cars Magazine Forum

Iconic cars not kitted

1 hour ago, Howard Cohen said:

The closest thing to a Mantaray was a clear slot car body done about 1970ish, not to be confused with the 'thingie' body. The slot body was fairly accurate. A friend has one and I have been asking for years to have it cast in resin but no luck :( 

Nichimo had a slot car Mantaray that was fairly accurate. Speed City Resin has asked for a donor of one to do a resin cast but we're still waiting. The MPC slot car of one was poor.

The McMullen Roadster was specifically proposed to one of the kit makers as a derivative of an existing kit tool. 

The project was not pursed due to concerns about the degree of tool modifications required for an accurate replica and the difficulty of tracking down intellectual property rights and permissions (as most of you know, the builder Tom McMullen and his wife perished in an aviation accident in the mid-1990's).    TIM  

The California Kid is one of those inescapably RIGHT cars that's made it impossible for me to look at a '34 Ford coupe and not think "black, flames, chopped, nerf bars" no matter how unoriginal the thought is. 

I would also add, and somewhat critically...

Slider-3.jpg

MORRIS-MINOR-TRAVELLER-BUYERS-GUIDE.jpg

No more iconic British car. The predecessor to the Mini, made from 1948 to 1972, 1.4 MILLION produced... lets get one of these from Ebbro before wasting any more design and tooling time on a bunch of same-o same-o one-off hot-rods (;-P)

best,

M.

There are a lot of iconic Australian cars that have never been kitted, even though there is a large hot rod/collector community. Are there enough modelers down under to make a local company successful with kits of, for example, the FX Holden or the GT Falcon, or the many many utes that have been produced?

Auburn 851 Speedster.  Sure, there's the Pyro kit, but it deserves better.

9091102.jpg

Miller 91.  About as iconic an American racer as you can find.  A few multimedia kits, and AMT almost released one in styrene.

5426033137_f2d8667318_b.jpg

Everyone loves Figoni & Falaschi, and this Delahaye is an iconic example of their work, yet never offered in styrene

Figoni_et_Falaschi_Delahaye_165_Cabriole

Ths Cisitalia coupe is possibily one of the most iconic pieces of Italian coachcraft, just as far as I know, never offered in kit form

cisitalia-1.jpg

And is there a more iconic piece of Americana than the Cadillac that gave us the tailfin?

1948-cadillac-series-62

Edited by Richard Bartrop

The good news is that many of the Roadsters and other customs can be done using many of the kits on the market today with just a little modification, we are modelers after all. I have seen some of the concoctions that others here on the Forum have created and the Manatray should be a walk in the park for some of them.