Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Duster 340

Kmb0319

Awesome Duster! I too was 16 in 1985, and yes the 60’s cars were the goods! Several neat rides at our school, 69 charger, 70 Dart swinger, 70 455 GTO, 69 442 etc! Fun times. Love the color and you did a clean job. Can’t ever go wrong with Cragars!

2 hours ago, Hmann68 said:

Awesome Duster! I too was 16 in 1985, and yes the 60’s cars were the goods! Several neat rides at our school, 69 charger, 70 Dart swinger, 70 455 GTO, 69 442 etc! Fun times. Love the color and you did a clean job. Can’t ever go wrong with Cragars!

I miss those days!  My first car was a 71 Chevelle.  It wasn’t an SS, but a basic 350 4-barrel Malibu coupe.  Some rust but solid, 120K miles, light green with matching interior and a black vinyl roof.  I paid $250 for it!!  Drove it for a year, and had done the body work myself to get it ready for a repaint, but an oil line ruptured driving home one night, which seized the engine.  After a few weeks of car shopping, I bought a 73 Plymouth Road Runner... a few rust bubbles, but shiny gray finish with black stripes, perfect black interior and a strong 360 under the hood for $1900.  Had a body shop fix the rust and put it in some local shows... not bad for less than $2,000!

Meanwhile, my best friend endured the hand-me—down car from grandma for two years, but right before senior year, found a 72 Cutlass Supreme... 350... orange with black vinyl roof and a cream interior.  It had 71,000 miles on it, and was owned by an elderly gentleman who washed it every week... you could eat dinner off of the engine.  He took it home for $3500.

Crazy what $ those cars command now.