Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Cars Magazine, The Future Ahead Of Us

7 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Right now 150.00 USD is 202.00 CDN

And if that means this site stays up and magazines will be coming, I'm glad to help?

Thanks Bruce, I am aware of the exchange rate on 150.  Follow  the link and look at the cost for non us subs, you'll see where the $300 comes from, I won't be investing that kind of money. . That $150 cost is for US subs, there is a different cost for subscriptions out side the US.  

14 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

That’s International postage, not Gregg’s fault

Never said it was. 

Regardless, it's still over $300 cnd for a hit and miss publication. I'll buy from a retailer when I see an issue on the shelf. 

Edited by Rider

I see some great responses here and can understand the uncertainty in investing in Gregg's plan due to past performance but also can see the need to help get the magazine back on track.

I think with Ace's background, he could prove to be helpful to Gregg's mission and guide him. I am sure there are others on here who could help drum up subscriptions and soon we could have MCM back in our paint stained fingers!

Totally disgusting.  Gregg has offered up a plan that he feels will get the magazine back on. All  he is asking is if you want to support getting the magazine back on track by buying a lifetime subscription if you desire.  No where has he asked for your opinion of what your opinion is on the matter.  In fact he requested that people refrain from being negative. Don't understand why people won't respect that request.

What a lot don't understand, or can't grasp, is the fact the with the direct dealer sales, MCM can pay for itself, each issue, if I can get the dealers to pay on time.

No other magazine that I know of can say this.

They all go through distributors, who now charge 60% of the cover, plus poundage fees.

I do all the invoicing, billing, accounting, etc., MYSELF.

There is no middle man, or anything that gets in the way of that cash flow.

Does this not make sense?

Or is the argument now going to be: What about us subscribers, we paid for .......

Yes, and a lot of that money went to Golden Bell Press. I did not see a single penny from before I took it all over.

I don't know what else I can say, explain, or type.

This will work, with the support, trust, and push from all of you, whether or not you subscribe, buy from the hobby shop, or get digital copies.

1 hour ago, Xingu said:

Once again the topic has ventured into personal attacks (whether you think it is or not, I don't care). I removed a bunch of posts. Keep it on track and keep it civil.

No where in my comment was it a personal attack. whether YOU think it was or not.

MY comment was based on Facts , Nothing more, nothing less.

Clients pay for 6 advertised issues PER YEAR and are getting 1. How is that an attack ? Please enlighten me

yes, I know Ill have a pm coming and this post will be deleted without reply. But I'll feel better

9 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

No where in my comment was it a personal attack. whether YOU think it was or not.

Clients pay for 6 advertised issues PER YEAR and are getting 1. How is that an attack ? Please enlighten me

yes, I know Ill have a pm coming and this post will be deleted without reply. But I'll feel better

Facts blur the issue. I got a PM too. 

In all fairness, this is Greggs thread, posting his ideas and thoughts on how to regain a foot hold, not an open forum to offer opinions and facts. 

Edited by Rider

1 minute ago, Rob Hall said:

I'm a subscriber, and given the past performance, I'm quite skeptical that we will see 6 issues per year in the future.     Just the facts. 

I was a subscriber. 

26 minutes ago, Rider said:

Facts blur the issue. I got a PM too. 

In all fairness, this is Greggs thread, posting his ideas and thoughts on how to regain a foot hold, not an open forum to offer opinions and facts. 

If comments and feedback  were not to be allowed then the post should have simply been an announcement with a link and instructions to where to subscribed to said subscription.

6 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

If comments and feedback  were not to be allowed then the post should have simply been an announcement with a link and instructions to where to subscribed to said subscription.

I agree 100%

. That was my point in posting my comment how I did.

A well written post pointing out the downsides to this plan and past posts on fact previous posted by Gregg on publication costs where included and pointed out and explained. That post was taken down. 

Still we have to remember, this is Gregg post, his mag, and his business plan, he never asked any of us for opinions just money for his idea. Who are we to inform others of our bad experience of missed issues, certianly not my place. I respect Gregg and his plan to continue to push on with his business and wish him great success. It truly is a great publication when it does get out.

3 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

I paid $30.00 for an annual subscription at least a year and a half ago.  Never recieved an issue.  Can that subsription fee be used as a credit so that the lifetime fee of $150.00 can be reduced to $120.00?

Good question. 

11 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

You obviously missed the dozen or so personal attacks that were removed. Don't worry, your posts were not the issue.

Carry on.

I think we've gotten to the end of constructive discussion here. I'll leave you all with some parting thoughts. 

In my discussions with Gregg, subscriptions have always been figured as number of issues. If you subscribed to 12 issues, you'll get the next 12 issues. 

I also think the backstory is important, and while it was out on other channels, I don't think it got a full airing here. Roughly 2 years ago, Gregg got rear-ended. He, and the car behind him pulled off, ostensibly to exchange information. After he got out of his car, the other car drove off. That collision re-injured his neck, leading to the current state of affairs. If I ever get my hands on this hit and run dude, he's going to regret the day he was born. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. 

I have contemplated posting this before, but I think you guys need to see what the whole situation is here at home.

The long/short story is, this 8th back surgery in February has been a failure.
Plus, for the past year and a half, I've been the full time adult day care provider for my wife's 87-year-old parents (both of them), with dementia, and other health issues.
She does the night shift, and by the time she get's home, I'm literally dead to the world.
We have now gotten some daytime hospice care for them, so it frees me up some during the day.

I know, hospice, that's a bad sign, but actually, it's the term the providers use so that they can provide the care they need before they really go downhill.

If any of you have done this, day care for your parents, you know what it's like. Doing this for both of her parents, well, let's just say there are days that well, just suck.

Still finishing up Contest Issue, #206. I know I may get a lot of negatives on the lateness of some of the shows, some are from 2017, but it's been passed around, and we think that with all the effort that went into covering the shows, we should include them. I will try and work on another Contest Issue as soon as I get up to speed.

Thanks again for all of your patience, and support, and not giving up on me, or the magazine.

I'm not going to give up.

I have way too much invested in this to give up, and I don't quit.