Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 70 Roadrunner

Steamboat

I just finished this one for a club build.  My first experiment with a vinyl top, and I learned a lot.  After much experimentation with the paint, I settled on Valspar rattle can flat black #86001. It was shot from about 3 ft. above the model.  The styrene strips on top are a bit too thick - lesson learned.  I used bits of monofilament fishing line to make the trim between the quarter window and back window, and covered them with BMF.  Paint is Gravity Colors Chrysler Sublime Green.  10 coats of Future were used as the top coat, and hand rubbed to a glossy shine. By the way, NOTHING sticks to Future, including decals, which I learned the hard way, and CA glue, which is a good thing.  The model is basically box stock except for the Beep Beep horn and a more detailed distributor.  Comments and suggestions are welcome.

grille.jpg.f2f3e682955b6aaba79b02b929bcd20c.jpg5ccda6365100e_driverside.jpg.c8d62302b6de0fb15e91dbceeb4dc603.jpg5ccda6524206d_rearquarter.jpg.ba45fa6348b1fed360e7f85919976658.jpg5ccda665debaf_psidecropped.thumb.jpg.70d1dccf5fcc3fe7d77b51960d431c70.jpginterior.jpg.fd46ee294ec84f61c0799bdc13bd33f4.jpgengine.jpg.51c4c52bfeba2febfd24f49f6e9cbdaf.jpg

Nice looking build Bill!

You're right about the top seams.

A little too thick.

But it can be a little hard to gauge how thick they should be.

It could just be me, but the seams appear to be a bit to far "inboard" as well.

It appears that they should be out towards the drip rail a little farther.

But I suppose it could be an illusion caused by the thickness.

Steve

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It could just be me, but the seams appear to be a bit to far "inboard" as well.

It appears that they should be out towards the drip rail a little farther.

But I suppose it could be an illusion caused by the thickness.

Steve

I think you're right.  I noticed it looked weird after I painted the top but the green was already done, so I decided it was too late to turn back.  Next time I will have all the construction work done on the top before I shoot any paint.

2 hours ago, High octane said:

Very nice build on that Road Runner Bill, and good color choice as well. BTW there are not two bottles on the right fender well under the hood, only one.

Actually Nick, that's not Bill's fault.

Both of those bottles are molded into the fender wells on the Monogram kits.

Steve

6 hours ago, Steamboat said:

I think you're right.  I noticed it looked weird after I painted the top but the green was already done, so I decided it was too late to turn back.  Next time I will have all the construction work done on the top before I shoot any paint.

Next time, get yourself some .007 clear film and cut strips for the top.

It's just about the perfect thickness.

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.7a21a987d924d1a362157095e5a4dfcd.jpeg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Next time, get yourself some .007 clear film and cut strips for the top.

It's just about the perfect thickness.

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.7a21a987d924d1a362157095e5a4dfcd.jpeg

Beautiful build. 

Scale building is always about visual compromise and material availablility.  I always find it interesting how something in proper scale can look sooo out of scale, either too big or too small. 

When doing the math for the suggested .007 thickness for 25th scale it comes out to .175", and .168 for 24th, which for simple comparison is in the area of 1/16".

Curious to see what the real world seam thickness is I went out and measured the have two cars (Lincolns) I have from the 70's. One is a MkIV the other is a MkV, both have vinyl roofs. Measuring the thickness of the seams I found the '74 was .092" and the '79 was .070". Doing the math for 25th scale the thickness works out to ..0036 which although correct might look too thin. 

Just wanted to offer up some real world measurements. I hope I don't come off as having to be right, not my intention. 

Edited by Rider

1 hour ago, Rider said:

Beautiful build. 

Scale building is always about visual compromise and material availablility.  I always find it interesting how something in proper scale can look sooo out of scale, either too big or too small. 

When doing the math for the suggested .007 thickness for 25th scale it comes out to .175", and .168 for 24th, which for simple comparison is in the area of 1/16".

Curious to see what the real world seam thickness is I went out and measured the have two cars (Lincolns) I have from the 70's. One is a MkIV the other is a MkV, both have vinyl roofs. Measuring the thickness of the seams I found the '74 was .092" and the '79 was .070". Doing the math for 25th scale the thickness works out to ..0036 which although correct might look too thin. 

Just wanted to offer up some real world measurements. I hope I don't come off as having to be right, not my intention. 

No offense taken to any comments.  All suggestions are welcome and will help us all improve. 

I just checked,  and I had used .040 half- round, which is. 020" in height. I have .010" available in both clear and white styrene.  I would think that .020 x .010 (1/2 × 1/4" in scale) strips would be visually about right.  

Thanks for all the thumbs up!

13 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Actually Nick, that's not Bill's fault.

Both of those bottles are molded into the fender wells on the Monogram kits.

Steve

Yes I know that and I was able to remove the  bottle closest to the grille on my '70 Road Runner build.

2 hours ago, High octane said:

Yes I know that and I was able to remove the  bottle closest to the grille on my '70 Road Runner build.

Well, lets just say that the Monogram '70 GTX/Roadrunner kit could use a lot of detail mods under the hood.

It all depends on how far you want to take it.

Steve