Model Cars Magazine Forum

How am I strip paint off a model car body

55 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Second, I find it odd that you avoid one the best primers to use in the hobby because it might be difficult to strip, to each their I own I suppose on that one.

The main reason that I don't use Tamiya primer is that I don't find it to be any better than any of the primers that I currently use, but it is definitely more expensive.

$11.00 was the price tag for a can, (5 oz?) of Tamiya primer the last time I bought a can at Hobby Lobby a few years ago.

I wasn't thoroughly impressed with the product, so I can't justify that sort of price.

As you stated, to each his own.

Steve

Just now, StevenGuthmiller said:

The main reason that I don't use Tamiya primer is that I don't find it to be any better than any of the primers that I currently use, but it is definitely more expensive.

$11.00 was the price tag for a can, (5 oz?) of Tamiya primer the last time I bought a can at Hobby Lobby a few years ago.

I wasn't thoroughly impressed with the product, so I can't justify that sort of price.

As you stated, to each his own.

Steve

Sure, but then you use that 40% off coupon and its like $7 a can,  I just restocked my supply for $8.99 per can( $2.99 ship) , which is a very good deal for Tamiya Fine Primer, just gotta shop around wink wink.

For primers, its one of the best hobby primers,  I have no doubts there are better primers once you get outside of the hobby world, and if you are using or use to using auto primers, I can understand why you may not think its very good.   Just as an FYI, Tamiya has two kinds, the normal primer and the fine, in my opinion the fine is far better than the normal primer.

54 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

That's too much unnecessary work. This is the '53 Ford body using only ELO and very little, if any, elbow grease:

You're not getting that from Super Clean in 20 minutes. And, like I said, you don't need a tub full of ELO to get it done.

Okay Joe.

I've never used the stuff personally, but if you can unequivocally tell me that it will plow through 12 to 15 coats of automotive primer, color and clear in 20 minutes, I'm all in.

I just don't necessarily believe that it can.

I just have reservations about spending money on materials that I try once and then abandon because it didn't work as advertised.

I've done that before!

Purple Power comes to mind. ;)

Steve

3 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Sure, but then you use that 40% off coupon and its like $7 a can,  I just restocked my supply for $8.99 per can( $2.99 ship) , which is a very good deal for Tamiya Fine Primer, just gotta shop around wink wink.

For primers, its one of the best hobby primers,  I have no doubts there are better primers once you get outside of the hobby world, and if you are using or use to using auto primers, I can understand why you may not think its very good.   Just as an FYI, Tamiya has two kinds, the normal primer and the fine, in my opinion the fine is far better than the normal primer.

I've tried both the regular and fine.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the product Jonathan, but it's so much easier and economical for me to swing into my local auto parts store and pick up a 12 oz. can of Duplicolor for less than $10.00.

It lasts me twice as long and does just as well of a job in my opinion.

Another thing that I love about Duplicolor primer is the fan spray nozzle.

I know people praise the Tamiya nozzles, but I didn't find them to be any better than any other round spray nozzle.

Steve

6 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've never used the stuff personally, but if you can unequivocally tell me that it will plow through 12 to 15 coats of automotive primer, color and clear in 20 minutes, I'm all in.

I just don't necessarily believe that it can.

I just have reservations about spending money on materials that I try once and then abandon because it didn't work as advertised.

As I told Jonathan, I can only speak from the results I got. It does eat through multiple layers of paint and primer, though. I had to strip off multiple layers of primer and paint (enamel, lacquer and acrylic) from a 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger hul and it came out clean. Try it and see. It's only an 8 buck outlay. You spend more than that on a set of AM tires. :P :D

10 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've tried both the regular and fine.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the product Jonathan, but it's so much easier and economical for me to swing into my local auto parts store and pick up a 12 oz. can of Duplicolor for less than $10.00.

It lasts me twice as long and does just as well of a job in my opinion.

Another thing that I love about Duplicolor primer is the fan spray nozzle.

I know people praise the Tamiya nozzles, but I didn't find them to be any better than any other round spray nozzle.

Steve

Steve, I really wasnt trying to convince you that you should use Tamiya, I really don't care what you or anyone else uses to build their models, I just don't have that kind of time:lol:;) ( not said in a mean way what so ever )  I understand why you use what you use,  and for me, I have to stick with the more plastic safe primes like Tamiya because I mostly build Japanese kits that can not handle the hotter automotive primers unless they are the two stage type.  You keep using what works for you , no reason to change what it inst broke right ?

Are you ready for this Steve?, we are going to agree on something for the second time in 2019,  I dont like Tamiya's nozzles either, they are very hard to do light coats as they spit when you press the down, no matter how lightly you press.

Edited by martinfan5

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

Steve, I really wasnt trying to convince you that you should use Tamiya, I really don't care what you or anyone else uses to build their models, I just don't have that kind of time:lol:;) ( not said in a mean way what so ever )  I understand why you use what you use,  and for me, I have to stick with the more plastic safe primes like Tamiya because I mostly build Japanese kits that can not handle the hotter automotive primers unless they are the two stage type.  You keep using what works for you , no reason to change what it inst broke right ?

Are you ready for this Steve?, we are going to agree on something for the second time in 2019,  I dont like Tamiya's nozzles either, they are very hard to do light coats as they spit when you press the down, no matter how lightly you press.

I understand Jonathan.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything either.

Just trying to get out opposing points of view.

Sometimes a new builder will take what one of us says and take it as gospel.

I just want everyone to understand that there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat. ;)

Steve

1 hour ago, fordlover632 said:

Will thinks everyone I did not expect getting this many replies in this topic thank you very much.

And now you get to weed through it all and figure out your best course of action.

But hey.......that's why we're all here! :)

Steve

As pointed out really early in this thread, there is a very long thread about what to use to strip paint of models.  Worth reading (or at least skimming over that lengthy thread).

The other thing is that there are so many opinions about what works best because there are many different brands and types of paint. There is no single best universal stripper: there are combinations of strippers and paints which work very well, marginally, or not at all.  So, there is no single answer - it depends on the paint and the stripper.

What we have here is rehashing info in that strippers thread mentioned earlier in this thread.

Edited by peteski

1 hour ago, peteski said:

What we have here is rehashing info in that strippers thread mentioned earlier in this thread.

Well said.

But you have to remember that often times people are looking for a quick answer and don't necessarily want to spend 2 hours weeding through a 40 page thread to find the information that they require.

I'm guilty of this one myself many times. ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

14 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Well said.

But you have to remember that often times people are looking for a quick answer and don't necessarily want to spend 2 hours weeding through a 40 page thread to find the information that they require.

I'm guilty of this one myself many times. ;)

Steve

Sure, we all like shortcuts. But the person who originally posted the question doesn't give any details, and they now have couple dozen of different answers.  If they wanted a quick answer, they should have told us what material is the body and what paints were used.  Then someone could likely provide an good answer based on their specific hands-on experience. Right now we are just shooting in the dark (basically providing the same barrage of various methods which is already in that stripping thread). :(

19 minutes ago, peteski said:

Sure, we all like shortcuts. But the person who originally posted the question doesn't give any details, and they now have couple dozen of different answers.  If they wanted a quick answer, they should have told us what material is the body and what paints were used.  Then someone could likely provide an good answer based on their specific hands-on experience. Right now we are just shooting in the dark (basically providing the same barrage of various methods which is already in that stripping thread). :(

I suppose you're correct.

But that's the nature of the beast. ;)

Steve