Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have this Honcho bought on eBay which hasn't been built but looks like the body had been painted then stripped. I'm planning to do it as a Gladiator or at least a Gladiator look alike.

IMG_8956.JPG.927188cb9d7e98e56142657e3dd0eef3.JPG

IMG_8957.JPG.703bbe2836ec0c1330bd228700f4a186.JPG

IMG_8958.JPG.3f73050163630728eed3c1e601792710.JPG

Edited by landman

9 hours ago, landman said:

I have this Honcho bought on eBay which hasn't been built but looks like the body had been painted then stripped. I'm planning to do it as a Gladiator or at least a Gladiator look alike.

IMG_8956.jpg

IMG_8957.jpg

IMG_8958.jpg

Pat.... where did you get the nose conversion...???   I have this kit and have been wanting to do the same thing with it since we once owned one.

20 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Looks like you bought the only item that's not 'Out Of Stock' on their site !

Out of stock doesn't mean you can't get it. It just means he has to cast one for you. At least that's the way I interpret it. ^_^

10 hours ago, landman said:

Out of stock doesn't mean you can't get it. It just means he has to cast one for you. At least that's the way I interpret it. ^_^

Thanks Pat..!  I did not see the nose but I seen other stuff I should have not...got too many ideas for builds Id like to try...LOL..

There doesn't appear to be any glass for the rear window. removed the louvers, made a pattern for the glass , glued the frame in place and puttied it up.

IMG_8962.JPG.a883769fae79a049d2496a1c2f2f6163.JPG

IMG_8964.JPG.86682610d6a283ce2092b634b26b59ab.JPG

Edited by landman

12 hours ago, landman said:

That's a fair assessment --- I guess that I'm used to 'Out-Of-Stock' meaning 'Out-Of-Production' . Seems like the cast-as-needed business model is a wiser approach . 

Thanks .

7 hours ago, Bucky said:

I wouldn't go too heavy on the putty. The window unit has a little inset to it:

This one doesn't....unless I put it in wrong. I'll have to check that. The way it is, it goes in from the inside and sits pretty well flush. The putty is to fill in the seam. 

Started on the frame. While I was at it I looked at the other one (with the snowmobile). It is molded in white and the writing on the crossmember has been redone to read "Revell Inc 1981 China".

IMG_8966.JPG.61c2b810c3cfe8e24b9771cca7edfb41.JPG

IMG_8965.JPG.9593516993479146584d239f89be8f44.JPG

Edited by landman

9 hours ago, espo said:

I don't know if you read Auto Week Magazine but they have an interesting comparison between a restored 50 year old Gladiator and the new 2020. 

Nice article. That guy did some nice mods to his '64. the original was much more basic and crude.

Wheel time. Back in the day there was one in my village very much like this one except maybe a bit darker and on white/cream steelies. I want to do this one like that. I have some nice Fireball steelies. They are loose in the Trackers I wanted to use so I'll use the desert Dogs from the kit. By rights it should be Good Year Suburbanites but I don't have any. I turned the flange off the kit whhelbacks so they sink into the wheels a little deeper.

DSC03493.jpg

IMG_8967.JPG.6856664893cb661feb6e6d034ca21d50.JPG

Edited by landman

1 hour ago, espo said:

Fireball may have the Suburbanites your looking for. If he doesn't have them someone else on the Forum list should be able to provide the tires you need. 

I know he has them, either him or Scenes Unlimited. It's me who doesn't have the money.:(

Your build is looking good, I have the same combo on the back burner, but I'm not sure what to do with the grill. Every gladiator or wagoneer I've seen has 12 slots in the grill not eight. Do you know if there was an eight slot version?  

38 minutes ago, FredRPG said:

Your build is looking good, I have the same combo on the back burner, but I'm not sure what to do with the grill. Every gladiator or wagoneer I've seen has 12 slots in the grill not eight. Do you know if there was an eight slot version?  

No. This is the only one I know of. Never even noticed the difference. Go figure.:o