[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
clayton

Hitop Coe pete

How about this.

dm_pb_352_beastie

Now that's a neat Pete might have to build an ho scale version. 

Posted (edited)

Ho  would be great.

Wonder if it has a bunk beds or what. Would be nice to see the inside.

Edited by clayton

Very Kool!!! Someone has to build it now!!!

Interesting. It's like a North American take on the Euro tractors.

9538_6343365917719.jpg.425ac504ff5d8534cf236c676e8ed0ff.jpg

Look great, wish the would still have coe in the U,S. Or even U,k trucks,,,I think just saying.

Does anyone know why the manufacturers in NA stopped offering COE trucks? THey used to be popular, I think because of length restrictions. But when those restrictions were lifted, why were they abandoned?

Honestly, I always thought the Euro trucks were better looking than their modern NA counterparts. Kind of surprised brands like Volvo have never really tried to market their COE here.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Does anyone know why the manufacturers in NA stopped offering COE trucks? THey used to be popular, I think because of length restrictions. But when those restrictions were lifted, why were they abandoned?

Honestly, I always thought the Euro trucks were better looking than their modern NA counterparts. Kind of surprised brands like Volvo have never really tried to market their COE here.

That's exactly it.  When the Surface Transportation Assistance Act became effective in 1982, the size and weight regulation changed, and the truck market went to conventionals almost overnight. The old size and weight rules were state regulations mostly based on the overall length of the combination tractor and trailer.  The Feds changed the rules on the Interstate and designated highways so length is based on just the length of the trailer(s) - the length of the tractor is not included.  States had to change their regulations to get federal highway money.  Drivers preferred conventionals for more space in the cab (no engine tunnel), better ride, and  easier to get into.  Fleets changed over to conventionals to retain drivers.

edited - rephrased a couple of things for clarity

Edited by Muncie

10 hours ago, Muncie said:

That's exactly it.  When the Surface Transportation Assistance Act became effective in 1982, the size and weight regulation changed, and the truck market went to conventionals almost overnight. The old rules were state regulations mostly based on the overall length of the combination tractor and trailer.  The Feds changed the rules on the Interstate and designated highways so length is based on the length of the trailer(s) - the length of the tractor is not included.  States had to change their regulations to get federal highway money.  Drivers preferred conventionals so the fleets changed over to retain drivers.

11 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Still see some cab overs here in Wisconsin, the guy I drive for has two Freightliner Argosy's and a 1996 KW K100 flat top. I noticed that years ago, it seemed like over night cab overs just disappeared..

Also because most COEs have the aerodynamics and fuel efficiency of a brick.

Spotted this KW still out working a few days ago , glad to see them occasionally on the road 

Resized_20190515_132256.thumb.jpeg.bb8aa35e1787921ce7d4bc1149307ab5.jpeg

The bad thing about them is that you are the first one at the accident.

16 hours ago, plastic trucker said:

The bad thing about them is that you are the first one at the accident.

Yes, there is that too!!! I'd rather be in a conventional than a COE any day!!

Or this. A few people say it is photo shop. Hey why not. Could be Pete's take on the kw. No matter looks good.

5b7ef15a4f6218804f0c7f30ef8a2c8f

15 hours ago, clayton said:

Or this. A few people say it is photo shop. Hey why not. Could be Pete's take on the kw. No matter looks good.

Nice!!!

Yeah! One. Or the other is up for a winter build.