Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 904 Indy

89AKurt

This is phenomenal Kurt!    Just fantastic work all around.. I love the mixing up of the carbon styles and colors, really adds a lot of detail!  How awesome are those S&S bolt heads?   I really wish they still made those... :unsure: my stash is getting low.

Edited by Impalow

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:34 PM, 89AKurt said:

You guys are killing me!  I see other projects that truly are art, Teresi comes to mind.  Compared to the metal, machined, etc. work, this is just another model.  But do appreciate the good vibes.

Welcome, glad to boost the world economy.  LOL

Thank you very much.  I'm too humble, I call it crapsmanship, when you can hide the ugly with a pretty color.  Seems like I tend to mar things with final assembly, so keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm thinking of making another interior mirror already, it doesn't look like Porsche Design.

Okay, bud, to me, plastic modelling is an art in itself, as is the soldered metal works of people like Randy. What you do with plastic, and what AFX does with plastic is OUTSTANDING!!! -Just because someone doesn't feel the need to use all the high-tech upgrade stuff, doesn't mean its inferior....actually, I think its harder, and takes more skill to create things out of plastic. To me, its like my fellow bodybuilding friends; I'm a successful natural, and they are successful steroid competitors. They don't say their better than me, and vise versa. Metal builds, and plastic builds CANT be judged against each other. I'm pretty good with making BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH happen with plastic, but I could NEVER do what Randy does. You are a true artist!!!

3 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

[...] You are a true artist!!!

Thank you sir!  

FINAL ASSEMBLY!!  I've put together/taken apart at least 100 times, surprised I didn't break it, but I did reinforce with wire screen at critical points.  No matter how much I tried, there was still something that did not allow complete gap reduction, during construction things went together, but the accumulation of so many tiny pieces glued together tends to exacerbate fitment issues.  For the door jamb, I applied Water Effects as a filler and adhesive (besides the super glue with baking soda underneath).  Will paint flat black when cured.
IMG_0590_Fotor.thumb.jpg.98489636e1225704d65d296b82c2573f.jpg

The Fuches wheels painting took many pieces of regular masking tape, cut with a new #11 on glass.  I had the third wheel partly done on the rim for the picture, forgot to finish, good thing I unmasked right away, was able to remove paint with a cedar stick.
IMG_0591_Fotor.thumb.jpg.03e605a6675266edddfcc434fe8d9221.jpg
IMG_0592_Fotor.thumb.jpg.b1dab013c0d68f296cc79e9eef6450b9.jpg

Last parts to get airbrushed!  I tried for the first time Aizu masking tape on the headlights around the curve, Tamiya on the straight, with regular masking tape overall.
IMG_0593_Fotor.thumb.jpg.c5b56963e06de0aeeec66ea893a0b1bb.jpg

Added the Porsche emblems, wire valve stems.  It was at this point that I noticed the rim and center design front and rear are a little different, like different brands, or one is a Chinese counterfeit, but I'm sure they came from the same Fujimi Enthusiast kit.  Need to hunt down lug nuts.  Debating about using the big emblems on the fenders.
IMG_0594_Fotor.thumb.jpg.220fbe78282e2f0a96d6e8da7c1e44a4.jpg

I still need to finish the passenger door, engine bay.  Think I should add an alternator to the engine, I noticed one picture of the engine with one.  And of course a once over to clean up everything.  But for now, it's looks done!
IMG_0595_Fotor.thumb.jpg.f1b2a3791e4fd2638d684607f4cae7cf.jpg

4 hours ago, cobraman said:

Very cool !

Glad you think so!

4 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

What Porsche should have built...a certified Ferrari killer. ?

I know right?  I read that there was a V8 version of the 904, somewhere.

4 hours ago, Rider said:

Wicked building through out this WIP. I really like how this turned out, the colour is a real great. 

Thank you.  I could say it's a Toyota Pious color.  :lol:

On 6/5/2019 at 7:04 AM, Impalow said:

This is phenomenal Kurt!    Just fantastic work all around.. I love the mixing up of the carbon styles and colors, really adds a lot of detail!  How awesome are those S&S bolt heads?   I really wish they still made those... :unsure: my stash is getting low.

For some reason missed you comment earlier, thank you very much!  I did not know S&S is out-of-business, I have other hex head p-e, but the phillips screw heads are few on that "sheet", so I better use judiciously.

21 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Wow what a beauty. Love the color.

Thank you!  Nail 'polish' aisle is more exciting than the Hobby Lobby model aisle for me.

I have added Turbo style fender protectors, stuck the big Porsche emblems on the front fenders, worked on door and engine bonnet fitment.  Here it's Friday already, where does the time go?  Work. :wacko:  Being sociable. :unsure:  Sleep. ^_^  Saturday is my birthday, I don't want more models for presents, just time alone to build. :rolleyes:

Calling this 99% DONE!  The last detail will be the lug nuts.  I will post a new topic in the Under Glass section.  I'm also not happy with these photos, need to learn how to use the Nikon camera.  I'm about 90% satisfied, now that it's together I see the paint job is inconsistent.
Today was my birthday, so completing a model was more satisfying than getting a new kit, have about 300 years worth as it is.

DSC_0416_Fotor.thumb.jpg.99952bd0b94b41155210facedd0b29bd.jpg

DSC_0425_Fotor.thumb.jpg.a31d32dc52cb4275dd5b8c28444fe17b.jpg

DSC_0430_Fotor.thumb.jpg.956f88f15529be821ed28eeaf6dde177.jpg

DSC_0426_Fotor.thumb.jpg.cbc333f97b03e8940f54f9be998aeca2.jpg

DSC_0429_Fotor.thumb.jpg.208ec1644aa281046ccb80a424c368a0.jpg

Wow! Had a bit of concern about the open space forward of the rear wheel opening and the back of the door opening, but that black fender flare protector really lessens the empty area very nicely.

Exterminator will help with the bees/butterflies/grasshoppers infestation ...

Edited by Russell C

11 hours ago, Russell C said:

Wow! Had a bit of concern about the open space forward of the rear wheel opening and the back of the door opening, but that black fender flare protector really lessens the empty area very nicely.

Exterminator will help with the bees/butterflies/grasshoppers infestation ...

It was approaching limo proportions.  That's why I added the Indy nose and tacked on the license plate that way.  Maybe I should have painted yellow:P

Happy birthday and congratulations, the Porsche looks spectacular. I've truly enjoyed watching this one come together. Ditto on the comments about the fender protector helping the proportions out back...lots of unusual features in this car but they all came together beautifully! 

Feeling inspired now...

6 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Happy birthday and congratulations, the Porsche looks spectacular. I've truly enjoyed watching this one come together. Ditto on the comments about the fender protector helping the proportions out back...lots of unusual features in this car but they all came together beautifully! 

Feeling inspired now...

Thank you!  Good, that's what this forum is about, get models built!  The 904 took only 55 years for coming to life.

14 hours ago, Spex84 said:

One of the first car models I ever built was a 904. I still have it sitting on the shelf, ill-fitting hood and all. Very tempted to try another, but build it Outlaw style this time!

Was it the later kit, with an engine?  I have most of my models, some in the junkyard.

This needed an alternator.  I've had one in the parts box for decades, started with cutting off the pulley side, then adding a scrounged electronic device gear for the fan portion, and another scrounged thing that looks too cool to not use.  I punched out the aluminum pulley faces, a photo-etch screw head added.  Made the mount out of aluminum printing plate, I know it could have bolt heads, and adjustable mount for the alternator, but it wouldn't really been visible.  Made it more of a challenge gluing in place *after* everything else has been installed, like a ship in a bottle.

DSC_0431_Fotor.jpg

39 minutes ago, Italianhorses said:

Wow, just read through all 5 pages. Quite a project!

LOL it certainly was.  I started looking at resuming my Paris-Dakar 959, which become a cluster-you-know-what, one reason because it's a real car, needs to be representative and not made up.  I should be able to finish it, you know?

On 6/10/2019 at 9:48 PM, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Nice fabricating on this wild 904 !  I built the 1/32 scale version 904 in 1969 at age 5. Still have it. Love what you did with this one.. Thanks for sharing the build.

Happy belated Birthday!

Thank you!

On 6/11/2019 at 3:41 AM, Dann Tier said:

Absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!!!...bet it feels good to have another one done!

Thank you too!  Well, 98% complete.  I ordered lug nuts from Australia, and someone is sending number decals.  I had to grind/sand the belly at the front, to get it off the ground.  I could say it has air suspension, that is adjustable, this is the lowest car I have built.  I've also been tweaking, and touch-up painting, and adding small things when I see it would help, such as insulation near the exhaust pipes.  Also having storage issues with my iPhone, so can't take pictures, and the Nikon 300mm zoom lens is not working for this task, extremely short depth of field. 

lug nuts.jpg

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Thank you!

Thank you too!  Well, 98% complete.  I ordered lug nuts from Australia, and someone is sending number decals.  I had to grind/sand the belly at the front, to get it off the ground.  I could say it has air suspension, that is adjustable, this is the lowest car I have built.  I've also been tweaking, and touch-up painting, and adding small things when I see it would help, such as insulation near the exhaust pipes.  Also having storage issues with my iPhone, so can't take pictures, and the Nikon 300mm zoom lens is not working for this task, extremely short depth of field. 

lug nuts.jpg

Nice, bud!!.....You did a Fabulous job masking those wheels too!!   Love those lugs too!!