Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 904 Indy

89AKurt

I added something that was not on the list.  There was a huge void under the hood, thought a spare tire would fit.  Scrounged the parts box, found what I needed:
Monogram Pirelli P7, removed the inside disk portion.
Fujimi Mercedes 190 wheel, more like hubcap, drilled out the lug nuts and center hole.
AMT wheel from the 250SWB, removed the horrid wires and hub, cut to depth.
Made the mount from flashing aluminum, which is thicker and shinier than the newspaper printing plate that I like to use.  Made a cardboard pattern, then bent the aluminum.  A couple of photo-etch bolt heads, and steel from the electronic part used for the tow hook.  Sprayed flat clear with a drop of leather brown on the tire and under the car.
I know this adds weight, but fills that space like I planned it. :lol:

DSC_0432_Fotor.jpg

Due to mission creep, added more details, back to 99% complete.  Lug nuts are in transit.....

Someone on Facebook tracked down the Big Bend Open Road Race logo for me, I got it reduced to assumed size, printed onto Testors decal paper, sprayed with Krylon artist archival flat clear lacquer.   If anyone wants some, let me know!
DSC_0433_Fotor.thumb.jpg.cb0c44bf664ebd8288a48585c587481c.jpg

cobraman helped me out with race numbers, thank you!  I used the Indy driver's helmet, removed the face, hollowed out a little, used up the last of the nail 'polish', used the Indy pinstripe decals which happen to look like double yellow lines, added chin strap.
DSC_0434_Fotor.thumb.jpg.fd4c3a20db6ec36a3d63383fa66ff6fa.jpg
DSC_0435_Fotor.thumb.jpg.87d3919cd11472bd6a8524427d9161c9.jpg

I'm cropping side shots, makes it look a mile long.  :lol:

On 6/23/2019 at 4:11 AM, oldnslow said:

This has turned out fantastic , another gold star build .

Thank you very much! :D

Took it to the monthly model meeting, where I'm the only car builder, got home and found my order from BNA Model World arrived!  ~happy dance icon missing~  Plan to finish tomorrow. 

DSC_0470_Fotor.jpg

Promise, last installment of this build!  I got all 20 lug nuts installed.  Since the fit of the wheels to hubs was practically non-existent, I relied on the 'Water Effects' for goober glue.  I applied to the back of the wheels, pushing some into each hole, then dropped in the tiny nuts, then stuck onto the hub.  I used the wood jig again.  Was adjusting for awhile until I was happy with everything, then let it sit for several hours.  These nuts are nice, the only criticism is they are four sides, not six.  I tweaked the helmet straps.  I have also added a couple wires to the battery, but not going crazy with more wiring, it's something I don't really like to do.

If it's not windy, will take finished pictures in the morning with the gas station diorama.

DSC_0472_Fotor.jpg

DSC_0471_Fotor.jpg

• 3 years later...

Dredging up this build from almost 4 years ago.....

Since I finished, got some stainless steel tubing, so that was the excuse to replace the pitot tube that is (barely) seen in the last picture above.  I had knocked it off, so I needed to fix it.  This time, there is wire in the tube so it wouldn't collapse when bent.   Also added kit boxes on the passenger seat.

IMG_6210.thumb.jpg.c1ef573f32f3a36777bdb3349c7a47f0.jpg

• Like 1