Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1970 Chevelle SS 454

crowe-t

Here's an AMT 1970 Chevelle SS 454 I'm working on.  I'm combining an AMT 1970 Chevelle with parts from an AMT 1970 Monte Carlo.

I started by shortening the chassis and floor from the Monte Carlo.  I removed the engine compartment from the Monte's body and glued it into the Chevelle.  In order to get the Chevelle's interior tub to fit onto the Monte's floor I had to remove the transmission tunnel.  I still have to glue it in place.  I considered using the Monte's interior but it was different from the Chevelle's.  I also removed the center console from the Chevelle's seats.

I did my best to correct the sides of the fenders and quarter panels.  I forgot to take before pictures.

This car will be painted Autumn Gold with black stripes and a black vinyl top.  I got the Autumn Gold as a custom order from Splash and I'll be using black textured paint from Model Car World for the vinyl top.  I sprayed some of the textured paint on a spoon and it looks like an in scale vinyl top.   

I got some paint on the body and will spray some clear so I can apply the stripe decals which I got from Keith Marks.  The emblems will be photo etch from Model Car Garage.

IMG_0082 Small.jpg

IMG_0084 Small.jpg

IMG_0086 Small.jpg

IMG_0090 Small.jpg

IMG_0093 Small.jpg

IMG_0095 Small.jpg

IMG_0098 Small.jpg

IMG_0107 Small.jpg

IMG_0112 Small.jpg

IMG_0263 Small.jpg

IMG_0265 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks guys!  A few years ago a friend had a 1970 Chevelle SS 396 in Autumn Gold with a black vinyl top and black stripes.  The Autumn Gold looked great with the vinyl top.  This is my favorite color for a '70 Chevelle.

22 minutes ago, afx said:

Nice project Michael.  Is the Monte chassis more detailed than the Chevelle, is that the reason for the kit bash?

The Monte Carlo chassis and floor are much better detailed and are separate pieces.  The Chevelle's chassis and floor are one piece and not very detailed.  The Monte also has nice engine compartment.

Edited by crowe-t

23 minutes ago, crowe-t said:

The Monte Carlo chassis and floor are much better detailed and are separate pieces.  The Chevelle's chassis and floor are one piece and not very detailed.  The Monte also has nice engine compartment.

I've done similar kit bash projects, I'll be following to see how your's work out.  It's off to a very good start.

• 6 months later...

It's been a while since I posted an update.  I had to start over with a new body.  The passenger side a-pillar kept breaking so it was easier to start over.  

I did my best to correct the side bulges on the fenders and quarter panels.  I also applied the molding and the over laps for the vinyl top.  I'll be using black textured paint from Model Car World for the vinyl top.  The paint is Autumn Gold from Gravity Colors. It's a better color than I first used.  The stripe decals are from Keith Marks.  The body has clear sprayed on which I will polish soon.

I researched the under side and found that the Atlanta built '70 Chevelles' had a medium greenish-gray primer followed by body color overspray and some undercoating in the transmission tunnel and in and behind the rear wheel wells.  For the greenish-gray primer I used Tamiya Acrylic paints.  I mixed 1 part XF-12 J.N. Grey, 1 part XF-19 Sky Grey and 2 parts XF-2 Flat White.  It has a slight greenish tint under different lighting but mostly looks gray.  I painted the gas tank with Alclad Dark Aluminum.

IMG_0849 Small.jpg

IMG_0851 Small.jpg

IMG_0856 Small.jpg

IMG_0861 Small.jpg

IMG_0864 Small.jpg

IMG_0866 Small.jpg

IMG_0873 Small.jpg

IMG_0879 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks guys!

I feel the AMT '70 Chevelle has the best overall shape of the available '70 Chevelle models.  The fender/quarter panel bulges are the main drawback on the body of the AMT kit but with some work can be made to look closer to correct.

A couple of months ago I painted an AMT '70 Chevelle body for a friend that he's going to be using as a slot car for drag racing.  I modified the side fender/quarter panel bulges on that one as well.  I used the kit stripe decals.  I cut the hood stripes apart and narrowed the fronts so they lay down straighter over the hood hump.  They aren't as accurate as the Keith Marks decals but don't look that bad.  Here are a some pictures.  

With the original body this makes 3 that I modified.  I guess it's starting to come easier, well sort of. lol 

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

Edited by crowe-t

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2019 at 4:55 PM, crowe-t said:

I did my best to correct the sides of the fenders and quarter panels.  I forgot to take before pictures.

IMG_0082 Small.jpg

IMG_0084 Small.jpg

You got the body sides looking pretty darn good. Can you give us some idea of what you did to correct? 

I ask because I recently got hold of a rare '71 Chevelle that will need this same mod. 

Thanks! B)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

You got the body sides looking pretty darn good. Can you give us some idea of what you did to correct? 

I ask because I recently got hold of a rare '71 Chevelle that will need this same mod. 

Thanks! B)

I used a 100 grit sanding stick from Stevens International.  I find these are the best sanding sticks.  I ran the sanding stick, going slowly, along the top of the bulges holding it on an angle until I felt the groove looked about right.  Under the bulges I filled in with putty.  It's hard to fully explain but this about what I did.  You need a good sanding stick with sharp edges.  The ones from Stevens International do a great job.  Mega Hobby sells them.  I hope this helps.

Thanks. I tried my own version of this last year with a glue bomb '72 body, but I basically just removed the bulges altogether, which is not correct. I think you've pointed me in the right direction by mentioning using putty to build up the lower sides of the bulges instead. Thanks for the tip! B)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks. I tried my own version of this last year with a glue bomb '72 body, but I basically just removed the bulges altogether, which is not correct. I think you've pointed me in the right direction by mentioning using putty to build up the lower sides of the bulges instead. Thanks for the tip! B)

You might want to try running a sanding stick along the tops of the bulges.  If the sanding stick has a nice sharp edge you'll be able to shape the tops of the bulges and the groove above them.