Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge 330 question.

I’ve a few Mopar max wedge cars on the bench, and on the 64 Dodge, can anyone shed some light on the inner headlamps? We’re they omitted on lightweights? I’ve seen super stock pics of cars with them and without. Is the Lindberg kit incorrect, with the Polara front assembly? 

Ive also looked on the internet for all the info I can find on the 330 cars, like interior and body colors that were available? All I can find is that they are a B body that was produced from 62 to 64. 

I know there are some people that know a ton of Mopar facts on these boards more than I do. I’d appreciate any info, as I’ll be building a 62 Savoy, a 62 Dart, a 63 Plymouth, and 63 Dodge, and the 64 Lindberg Dodge 330. All 413 and 426 max wedge cars 

AE2765BD-A87C-4255-ACD6-CC97AEEC4A64.jpeg

CADE30BE-B553-4A8E-9FE8-304980F7F871.jpeg

B87B9B95-3435-494B-B2C2-F9AD1B87D577.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

No inner headlamps is a Race Hemi thing   ( Race Hemi started mid 1964 , then all of 1965  only,, early 64 was still Max wedge )

Had nothing to do with lightweight or not. As some Max wedge cars were lightweights and had stock grill / head lamps

ps, Light weights from Mopar  in 1963 and 64 carried  aluminum front end. ( there were other parts that were aluminum as well )  1965 was acid dipped sheet metal .

A company called Amblewagon assembled the initial 1965 AFX cars  ,,,, I think its 12 or maybe 13 cars ,,,  these car had fiberglass for the bolt on body components .

As a side note  ALL of them were 2 door hardtops btw . AND, I think only 3 still exist , last I heard at least one of the said 3 its legitimacy is questionable. One of them is well documented to be the actual car its advertised to be  ( the Landy car )

The sedan body style AFX cars were privateer builds and found to be stiffer thus better cars  in most racers minds.

Edited by gtx6970

The book "We Were The Ramchargers" contains photos from the tech bulletin used by an outside contractor to convert the altered wheelbase bodies.  Several were built by the contractor (a company that built ambulances) while many others were built by race teams and independent racers according to the template.  Rear wheels were shifted forward 15", front wheels 10".  The front and rear subframes were tied together also, creating in effect a full-frame car.  The roll bar also stiffened the overall structure.  

The rearmost cut was made across the center of the trunk floor.  Front suspension was moved forward.  Some other Mopar book might have the bulletin photos, but the Ramchargers book is worth getting if these cars are of interest to you.

Thanks for all the replies. 

Bill... So even the 64 Plymouth with the one head lamp on each side denotes a Hemi car?  I always wondered about that because the Plymouth with one light really stands out more than the other Mopars do. That car looks way better with the four  lamps. 

Gotta add that book to my library. 

1 minute ago, Brutalform said:

Thanks for all the replies. 

Bill... So even the 64 Plymouth with the one head lamp on each side denotes a Hemi car?  I always wondered about that because the Plymouth with one light really stands out more than the other Mopars do. That car looks way better with the four  lamps. 

Gotta add that book to my library. 

As a general rule , And as far as Mopar produced ?  Yes. 1 head light per side, and the wider flatter hood scoop

Keep in mind ,,, back then privateers used a lot of the same tricks the big 3 used. So its not 100% out the question you might find a single head light grille in a wedge powered car in vintage pictures . So keep that in mind.

There are several pictures out there of a particular Golden Commands car. At least ONE of there race cars back then started life as and per the VIN # is/was a Max wedge car then evolved into a hemi car

Thanks Bill. Man I really am getting into these old MW cars. I’m still waiting for my 62 Savoy, and 63 330 from MCW. I have a 63 Fury started, and I just also stared the Color Me Gone car, to be built as white with turquoise interior. I got some real nice rims and hubcaps from Chief Joseph. His stuff is simply the best. 

Edited by Brutalform

On a related note : the 1965 calendar year harboured-in a new mandate : reverse ( "back-up" ) lamps . A number of early , built-in-1964 cars' tail lamps were sans these back-up lamps ---- the Landy Coronet had , in addition to the 1964 pushbutton shifter for the trans , one tail lamp with the back-up lamp , and one without the back-up lamp . It's alleged that he had to get a replacement for a cracked tail lamp , and the dealership's parts dept. only had the 31/12/1964 & earlier setup in-stock as a replacement !

Let me see if I can find an image of the interesting two-different-styles lens / bezel :

landy-dodge-1.jpg.b8a0713c6248264b34f9f0019a3a6f34.jpg

Note that the left-side has the back-up lamps , whereas the right-side has a "filler" . 

landy-dodge-2.jpg

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

On a related note : the 1965 calendar year harboured-in a new mandate : reverse ( "back-up" ) lamps . A number of early , built-in-1964 cars' tail lamps were sans these back-up lamps ---- the Landy Coronet had , in addition to the 1964 pushbutton shifter for the trans , one tail lamp with the back-up lamp , and one without the back-up lamp . It's alleged that he had to get a replacement for a cracked tail lamp , and the dealership's parts dept. only had the 31/12/1964 & earlier setup in-stock as a replacement !

Let me see if I can find an image of the interesting two-different-styles lens / bezel :

landy-dodge-1.jpg.b8a0713c6248264b34f9f0019a3a6f34.jpg

Note that the left-side has the back-up lamps , whereas the right-side has a "filler" . 

landy-dodge-2.jpg

Pretty cool info there. I can really see it on the second picture. 

6 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Pretty cool info there. I can really see it on the second picture. 

The "filler" has the Dodge "tri-star" insignia cast-into it . There was another , much better photo of the bezels and tail lamp assemblies floating around the 'net ; now I can't find them !

EDIT : I apologise if it seems that I'm pulling your thread in another direction ----- here's a link to Hamtramck Historical (thee best Chrysler site , period) , and the 1965 Coronet dealership info catalogue (similar to a brochure) . Apparently , the back-up lamps were included in the higher trim level models , whereas the base model marques the lamps as 'optional' ; this is an early piece of literature .

65_Coronet0012.jpg

10 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

The "filler" has the Dodge "tri-star" insignia cast-into it . There was another , much better photo of the bezels and tail lamp assemblies floating around the 'net ; now I can't find them !

EDIT : I apologise if it seems that I'm pulling your thread in another direction ----- here's a link to Hamtramck Historical (thee best Chrysler site , period) , and the 1965 Coronet dealership info catalogue (similar to a brochure) . Apparently , the back-up lamps were included in the higher trim level models , whereas the base model marques the lamps as 'optional' ; this is an early piece of literature .

65_Coronet0012.jpg

No apologies needed. This is great stuff. I’ve been a GM guy during my drag racing years, and know a lot about them, but I enjoy talking and learning Mopars. 

I’d  like to build the most correct car I can, except for correcting kit manufacturers mistakes, like the AMT 69 RRs rear quarters. I can live with that. They may not look 100% correct, but I build them anyway. 

Edited by Brutalform

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

Garbage, dropped it in a box , most likely never to be seen again

Yea, no doubt it was a mistake. The maker said I needed to remove the front support, to make it fit, but that would spread the fenders way apart because of that ridiculous width. 

Edited by Brutalform

3 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Yea, no doubt it was a mistake. The maker said I needed to remove the front support, to make it fit, but that would spread the fenders way apart because of that ridiculous width. 

Yea, I got a six pack style  duster hood for my Sox and Martin build from the same seller. It and this grill are in the same box