Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are YOUR favorite old kits ?

As great a pain as it can be to build, the old Revell Austin-Healey 100-6 is a kit I love because it does hold up as a great replica even with its age. Granted, it's also the best argument that a 100% new Big Healey kit needs to be tooled up (Hasegawa? Ebbro?) but for now it sits nicely alongside classic sports cars built from much more modern tooling. 

I was partial to the Jo-Han flat box kits from days gone by. Especially the ones that had customizing parts in them. I have several flatbox kits in the stash. Hafta be careful with them....they don't stack very well!!

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

My favorite oldies are AMT, MPC and Johan '60s-70s annuals...have most of the ones I've wanted to collect over the years, w/ a few gaps. 

Same here and Ive got just about all of the  original annuals  between 1958 and 1964 with just a few holes to fill in

But if I have to narrow it down a bit . It would be  REALLY close race between my Johan 1969 GTX  and my MPC  Barry Setzer Vega AA/FC

My favorites are the Monogram Exotics from the 70s. They made the Porsche 911 and 924, Datsun 260Z, Mercedes Benz 450SL, Ferrari 308 and others. Great curbside kits for the beginner and fun kits for the advanced modeler to relax with. I actually emailed Revell a couple years ago and got a fantastic response from the guy who designed them. They are mostly out of production, but the 911 shows up occasionally on the release lists.

ModelsPorsche1.PNG

15 hours ago, JJ Deuce said:

I know it's not the best kit if this car but I've built it probably a dozen times over the years and I have a couple in the stash right now - the MPC Dukes Charger.

favorite old kits that are no longer made?

That thing is reissued just about every other month. You ain't lookin hard enough.:lol:

7 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

favorite old kits that are no longer made?

That thing is reissued just about every other month. You ain't lookin hard enough.:lol:

lol fair enough. I didn't read that closely.  although the mid '90s and later reissues have some differences from the 1979 kit.

I'll revise my answer to the Jo-Han pro stock Ford Maverick. 

I seem to have developed a real fondness for original AMT '63-'67 Corvettes. I've now accumulated somewhere around 30, at least one of each body style and each box, in all conditions from barely-rebuildable glue bombs to mint unbuilt. I've only actually restored about 3 so far (two '63s and a '67), but I have at least four more on the bench as we speak. 

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I seem to have developed a real fondness for original AMT '63-'67 Corvettes. I've now accumulated somewhere around 30, at least one of each body style and each box, in all conditions from barely-rebuildable glue bombs to mint unbuilt. I've only actually restored about 3 so far (two '63s and a '67), but I have at least four more on the bench as we speak. 

And I bet you have a stack of re-issued '63s for parts, right?  

I need a '65 coupe and a '67 roadster to complete my set (although I have a "THE Cat" '67 in the beater pile).    

17 minutes ago, pack rat said:

And I bet you have a stack of re-issued '63s for parts, right?  

I need a '65 coupe and a '67 roadster to complete my set (although I have a "THE Cat" '67 in the beater pile).    

Yup. B)

I have a couple of '67 roadsters (my favorite). At least one of these will get built with the "panel truck" top. 

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Now I know where I contracted this C2 affliction from. ;)