Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some kits you know will never be available again . . .

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

As much as I love the Jo-Han classic car ktis,  I think it's pretty clear that they aren't coming back.

You would suppose that the Johan lineup would be a good "just tool these" list for Moebius or Revell if they ever get a bit fuzzy on what to do next. The world needs an AMX kit that isn't antiquated.

Those Revell Double Car Kits were big in the 60s....extremely hard to find now. Basically a collection of their Parts Packs put together in the form of a kit...youd think they could re- do them if the molds still exist.                                 As for extinct kits never to come back...I suppose the Uncertain T must top the list?                                              And what about that companion kit to Revell's relatively recent '29 2in1 Model A roadster ....the '30 Coupe? Were the molds really stolen/vandalized in China?

1 hour ago, Justin Porter said:

You would suppose that the Johan lineup would be a good "just tool these" list for Moebius or Revell if they ever get a bit fuzzy on what to do next. The world needs an AMX kit that isn't antiquated.

I was talking about the Cadillac V-16 and Mercedes-Benz 500K kits, but a decent AMX or Javelin would be nice..

Does anybody know why the Beverly Hillbillies truck can't be re-issued?  If it's a licensing problem, seems like Round 2 could dodge that by just dropping the name of the TV show. Call it a "Vintage Olds"  or "Okie Moving Truck."  Or have the molds been damaged or lost?

That last AMT/ERTL re-issue, shown above, was in 2004. So 15 years ago. And it sure seemed to be popular.  Many people automatically bought 2 of them, to build the TV version and Granny's hot rod. 

Edited by Mike999
goof

52 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

And if Revell thinks there's a market for nostalgia about Grease, and Starsky and Hutch, why not The Beverly Hillbillies?

It's an AMT kit, and AMT is owned by Tom Lowe who is a very astute licensing guy for TV and movie memorabilia. If there's a market, he'll reissue it.

We can be pretty sure it still exists, they even had the Jolly Roger version parts.

Last time around I did this....

MVC-008F

L2 Right : AMT Leva Car , Hubley 1960 Ford Country Squire wagon  , AMT 1961-3 Ford F-100  , AMT 1961-2 Buick Special wagon . all these subjects are in the "Obscure " category , thus rendering them not popular enough to resurrect

1960 AMT Ford Leva car instructions 2.jpg

1960 Hubley Ford Country Squire wagon 1.jpg

AMT 1962 Ford F-100 bx top.jpg

1961 AMT Buick Special wagon done as a custom.jpg

I built a couple of the double car kits when I was a kid. I liked them a lot. They're rare and crazy expensive now. I would absolutely love to see those reissued. I'd buy a couple copies of each one. 

Unless my memory has fallen to excessive nostalgia, the Slingster kit is basically Sizzler 2.0. It too is a nice kit, and lots of fun to build. 

42 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

MPC-303-2.jpg

I wouldn't be so quick to rule this one out.  Much of it still exists as the Barnabas Vampire coach.  I wouldn't put it past Round 2 to restore it.  I've learned never to say never. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised!

Even more of the stock version should still exist as the ex-MPC '32 Chevy Cabriolet. I think it was last issued as the AMT-ERTL "Connoisseur Classics" version, back around 1987.

I found the "Gangbusters" version of the Panel Truck/Cabriolet at a flea market a few months ago. That was one of my Grail kits. A few parts are glued together, mostly wheels/chassis. But everything is there, including the very hard-to-find divider panel for the paddy wagon version, the machine gun and other Gangbuster parts.

32chevy.jpg

11 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

amt2128-150boxonly.jpg

I thought Round 2 announced fairly recently that they had found 90% of the missing tooling for this one and they were looking into the viability of retooling what was missing for a reissue?

The only ones that will be guaranteed to never come back, are the unusual cars.

I suppose if you're talking about exact copies of a lot of the kits shown above, I suppose you're correct.

But does anybody really think that there is absolutely no possibility that there will ever be a '28 Model A, a '68 Coronet or a '72 Roadrunner?

I think that these are pretty high possibilities.

If we are really talking about kits that will never return, and will never be replaced with a new tool, pretty much any Johan kit prior to about 1967 is a pretty good bet.

There is zero possibility that you will ever see a Johan 1966 Chrysler 300 again, and an almost zero probability that anyone else will ever do a new one.

This can be said for hundreds of old models, not just Johans.

Steve