Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some kits you know will never be available again . . .

4 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

The Pyro car kits....nice 1/32 scale range.

image.png.585b3ed92a556b763d1979d40666e03e.png

I got this one in September.  In my glee to snag it for $10 I didn't notice a previous owner had carved rear doors into the body.  Not a bad job, so it will have to be built that way.

Another unusual 1/32 scale PYRO kit we'll never see again: the '34 Plymouth 4-door sedan.  Military modelers hoarded these PYRO oddballs for WWII conversions and wrecks in dioramas. 

That was historically correct. The German army "requisitioned" every vehicle in Europe that would roll, especially leading up to the invasion of Russia.  Somewhere around here, I have a picture of a '30s 4-door Plymouth in Russia that the Germans converted into a radio car, with a big "clothesline" rail antenna mounted on the roof.  They also hacked up American sedans and converted them into troop carriers.  Those were literally throwaway vehicles, driven until they died, then abandoned.

pyro-plym-1.jpg

On 5/12/2019 at 3:51 PM, vamach1 said:

Well will never see this one again.  Picked it up at a swap meet.  Only missing the kit wheels and the gas caps which I have.

IMG_4523.JPG

What makes you so sure? If you're talking about the original version Mach 1 you have pictured here, then yes, you may be right. Since it was modified into 3 other versions after this, at least the last version should still be viable though (I think it was the Autolite Special, but I could be wrong)

Really wish I could get my hands on a set of the Mach 1 version wheels though. They are sweet.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

What makes you so sure? If you're talking about the original version Mach 1 you have pictured here, then yes, you may be right. Since it was modified into 3 other versions after this, at least the last version should still be viable though (I think it was the Autolite Special, but I could be wrong)

Really wish I could get my hands on a set of the Mach 1 version wheels though. They are sweet.

This was reissued a few times 

31 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

This was reissued a few times 

To my knowledge, the Mach 1 version (which depicts an actual FoMoCo showcar) was never reissued.

Image result for AMT mach 1

The tooling was modified into three successive versions (listed in what I believe is their release order, I could be wrong). One of these versions should still be viable, whichever one was issued last probably.

Iron Horse

Superstang

And the Autolite Special

Image result for AMT autolite special

On 5/10/2019 at 10:33 AM, Greg Myers said:

Yeah, I know never say never. Some of these have certainly been shot down for ever, but a few could possibly be resurrected.

2b67d74226e04ee1baa318ac9dcb9fd7.jpg

I'm hoping Atlantis ended up with all the parts pack tooling. For a company looking to cash in on the nostalgia dollars, this would be right up their alley or offer them as individual packs.

14 hours ago, ratdoggy said:

How hard would it be for a manufacturer acquire an unbuilt kit and scan it into a CAD CAM to cut the tooling? 

The days of pantographs and hand tooling molds are pretty much gone aren't they? 

Polar Lights did that very thing with the Aurora Green Hornet's Black Beauty. I think we're probably more likely to see scanning the kits into files to make 3-D prints, on a cottage industry level at least. (I'd like to have my Lindberg 1/32 Granada scanned into a 1/25 3-D print! :))

23 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

To my knowledge, the Mach 1 version (which depicts an actual FoMoCo showcar) was never reissued.

The tooling was modified into three successive versions (listed in what I believe is their release order, I could be wrong). One of these versions should still be viable, whichever one was issued last probably.

Iron Horse

Superstang

And the Autolite Special

Image result for AMT autolite special

A reissue with all those parts would be swell.

13 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

A reissue with all those parts would be swell.

I whole-heartedly agree! Even if the parts remaining don't build one of these versions, release what they do have and make a new version.

However, since Round2 has been willing to tool up some small parts to backdate things, how about the original issue wheels? PLEASE!?!

image.jpeg.7c6026c16ab5ba84ecb2849717c5d867.jpeg

4 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I whole-heartedly agree! Even if the parts remaining don't build one of these versions, release what they do have and make a new version.

However, since Round2 has been willing to tool up some small parts to backdate things, how about the original issue wheels? PLEASE!?!

image.jpeg.7c6026c16ab5ba84ecb2849717c5d867.jpeg

If you want to look for them among aftermarket resincasters--or ask for them by name--they're Appliance Apache wheels, and were also found in the original annual AMT '67 Camaro. 

37 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

If you want to look for them among aftermarket resincasters--or ask for them by name--they're Appliance Apache wheels, and were also found in the original annual AMT '67 Camaro. 

(Your PM box is full)

Hi Richard,

Just spotted this on eBay - vintagemodelcarparts is parting out a complete '65 Craftsman Chevelle (scroll down):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sofindtype=0&_byseller=1&_nkw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=60062-7542&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=vintagemodelcarparts&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_fosrp=1&_pgn=3&_skc=400&rt=nc

Happy bidding!

(Sorry for the interruption, but it is kinda on topic. Now back to our previous broadcast, already in progress. :rolleyes:)

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, Tom Geiger said:

It wouldn't be hard to reproduce old Johan kits.  Remember that Polar Lights started out by reverse engineering old Aurora figure models.  Just a matter of having a fresh kit, and 3d scanning the trees.  CAD cut aluminum tooling and you could indeed to runs of old Johan kits.

A manufacturer would need the standard automobile company licensing, but Johan is long gone, and nobody would be there to defend any expired rights.

The flip side of it is that although Johan had very accurate bodies etc, their kits would indeed be too "old school technology" for today's market.  Shallow interiors with molded in seats, inaccurate engine compartments and low detail, low parts count chassis. Yes, those of us into the nostalgia aspect would eat them up, but they'd be a tough go in the larger market as casual modelers, 90% of the kit market, would be looking for detailing and parts counts of contemporary kits, and wouldn't understand what they were looking at.  Kinda like they got gypped into buying a Palmer kit!   That was the reaction to the reissue of the 1959 Imperial. Which is why it would be more appropriate to have a new full detail kit of important subjects like the AMX.   Maybe in the future 3d technology would be so easy and affordable that we could make our own quick copies of a friend's kit,  as simple as making a xerox copy.  Never say never!

My thoughts on Johan- I started building around 1968 and probably bought my first Johan kits in 1969. The Mickey Thompson Pinto and Mustang funny cars as well as the Gene Snow Challenger had very accurate representations of unique chassis designs of those cars. Various other details of those kits were also great and spot on. Same with the Sox and Martin Cuda. Too bad the Dyno Don/Fast Eddie Maverick Pro Stocks as well as the AMX/Javelin Pro Stocks weren't as detailed (no separate rear axle/suspension for one). I know that was because they were based on the stock tooling. So outside of a few kits I would agree newly tooled kits of important subjects would be more appropriate. 

6 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

(Your PM box is full)

Hi Richard,

Just spotted this on eBay - vintagemodelcarparts is parting out a complete '65 Craftsman Chevelle (scroll down):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sofindtype=0&_byseller=1&_nkw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=60062-7542&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=vintagemodelcarparts&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_fosrp=1&_pgn=3&_skc=400&rt=nc

Happy bidding!

(Sorry for the interruption, but it is kinda on topic. Now back to our previous broadcast, already in progress. :rolleyes:)

Couldn't find it. Maybe it went off already. Thanks for the heads-up, though. B)