Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some kits you know will never be available again . . .

2 hours ago, slusher said:

I still think we have a chance we might see a Matador again."

My understanding is that the Matador body tool is actually shared with the Bobby Allison "Stock" (Race) Car kit. They had to wipe the stock details from the body to bring the race car back some years ago (or perhaps that was the last state in which the body tool was in from the '70's).

The race car and stock kits shared their basic body, chassis, & engine. The kits differed in the wheel/ tire, interior, exhaust, engine and engine room pieces they provided with each kit. 

IF Round 2 wanted to, they could restore the stock details, but then it would hamper their ability to reissue the race car, which they have put out at least 3 times since the '90's.

I do remember picking one of the later issues of the race car up, and a stock grille was included in the chrome shot (along with the race grille, which was an unplated piece on another sprue). The first reissue of the race car did not come with the stock grille, it looks like the gates were opened up some time after that first reissue from the early '90's.

I guess if I ran Round 2, I would run the race car again once or twice with Retro box art under a "one (or two) run (runs) of fun" deal, then I would have the stock stuff restored to the body, IF the tools for the stock interior, stock wheels, custom parts and engine room could be found.

In my opinion, it's almost always easier for a modeler to make a stock body into a race body, than the reverse, and most of the time, a given model manufacturer's race body might differ from how it appeared in real life, which might necessitate further mods, so I'd rather see the stock body details on this one.

The stock/ custom Matador kit would make a great companion piece to the Gremlin & Pacer kits we have seen lately.   

Edited by CapSat 6
More/ accurate info

2 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

My understanding is that the Matador body tool is actually shared with the Bobby Allison "Stock" (Race) Car kit. They had to wipe the stock details from the body to bring the race car back some years ago (or perhaps that was the last state in which the body tool was in from the '70's).

The race car and stock kits shared their basic body, chassis, & engine. The kits differed in the wheel/ tire, interior, exhaust, engine and engine room pieces they provided with each kit. 

IF Round 2 wanted to, they could restore the stock details, but then it would hamper their ability to reissue the race car, which they have put out at least 3 times since the '90's.

I do remember picking one of the later issues of the race car up, and a stock grille was included in the chrome shot (along with the race grille, which was an unplated piece on another sprue). The first reissue of the race car did not come with the stock grille, it looks like the gates were opened up some time after that first reissue from the early '90's.

I guess if I ran Round 2, I would run the race car again once or twice with Retro box art under a "one (or two) run (runs) of fun" deal, then I would have the stock stuff restored to the body, IF the tools for the stock interior, stock wheels, custom parts and engine room could be found.

In my opinion, it's almost always easier for a modeler to make a stock body into a race body, than the reverse, and most of the time, a given model manufacturer's race body might differ from how it appeared in real life, which might necessitate further mods, so I'd rather see the stock body details on this one.

The stock/ custom Matador kit would make a great companion piece to the Gremlin & Pacer kits we have seen lately.   

I forgot all about that. Your right it's easier to make a stock body into a race car then the reverse. Thanks...

1 hour ago, fairlane1320 said:

2v2udt3ydxfjhLg.jpg

Man- wouldn't THAT be nice to have back!!! I wonder if there is a tooling insert that could be used on their fastback body to recreate this? Other than the '69 Cobra Fastback we saw back in the '90's, what might be left of this one???

1 hour ago, CapSat 6 said:

Man- wouldn't THAT be nice to have back!!! I wonder if there is a tooling insert that could be used on their fastback body to recreate this? Other than the '69 Cobra Fastback we saw back in the '90's, what might be left of this one???

Motor City Resin makes a beautiful '69 hardtop body to convert the fastback Cobra kit. I recommend it highly. 

I think the demographics are guaranteeing that some models will never return. Young kids don't care. I remember waiting for the new cars to arrive. that doesn't happen any more. If you could combine a model kit with and electronic or computer toy?

On 5/14/2019 at 9:32 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

What makes you so sure? If you're talking about the original version Mach 1 you have pictured here, then yes, you may be right. Since it was modified into 3 other versions after this, at least the last version should still be viable though (I think it was the Autolite Special, but I could be wrong)

Really wish I could get my hands on a set of the Mach 1 version wheels though. They are sweet.

Craig.....you are exactly correct.  My guess is that this one (in its later form) has a better than 50/50 chance of being reissued at some point in the future......TIM 

JM.02 but I think that a Javelin or an AMX is a very needed / overlooked subject matter .....
Lots of options with one of these being made .....

Just imagining an all new tooled box being opened for the first time (in the parking lot)
and touching the new subject matter ... (sigh 
:rolleyes:) Those were the days ...

1970 Johan javelin.jpg

1974 JOHAN javelin.jpg

1971 JOHAN Javelin amx.jpg

19 hours ago, Trendsetta68 said:

JM.02 but I think that a Javelin or an AMX is a very needed / overlooked subject matter .....
Lots of options with one of these being made .....

Just imagining an all new tooled box being opened for the first time (in the parking lot)
and touching the new subject matter ... (sigh 
:rolleyes:) Those were the days ...

1970 Johan javelin.jpg

1974 JOHAN javelin.jpg

1971 JOHAN Javelin amx.jpg

Next Holly Grail after the AMT AMC Matador 

On 5/18/2019 at 11:15 AM, Straightliner59 said:

These guys:

Aurora Racing Scenes pg04 & 05.jpg

cat1.jpg

fcdriv.gif

pintofc.gif

spshopdisplay.jpg

sadly I had all of these race scenes kits still unbuilt and many others before the tornado here...I had been collecting the kits I loved for 40+ years while I had money to but at least 75% of my collection of old kits...promos..and builds are gone now...got to try and restore/repair whats left.   Here is some I would love to see or get again i know or highly doubt will never see the light of day again....shame too....

MPC 67,68,69 Bonnevilles

MPC 69-72 Grand Prixs

AMT 70/71 Pontiac Ventura/Sprint II

Johan 67,68,69,70 Cadillac coupe devilles

Johan 67,68,69,70 AMC Rebel...Ambassador...SSTs

Johan 70/71 Maverick...Hornets

AMT 66-69 Falcons

AMT 70/71 Ford LTD 4 door HT

Hubley 61 Ford 4 door wagon

AMT 67-69 T-Birds

MPC 75 Firebird

AMT 66 Buick Skylark GS

MPC 70,71 Cyclone Spoilers

MPC 71-76 Dodge vans...pickups in there original version options.

Johan 65,66 Chrysler 300s

MPC 65,66 Dodge Monacos

AMT 68,69 Implalas

MPC 71,72 Impala/Caprices

AMT/MPC Dodge Demon

Johan 66-72 Toronados

Johan/AMT 64-68 Chrysler Imperials

AMT 60-63 Ford pickups

Monogram large scale funny car Mean Maverick

Monogram show rod Un-Real Roller

IMC Touch Tone Terror with all the original versions

MPC 1/20th Ford 2wd vans..custom/workshop/ambulance/window van.

Normatt Winnebago motorhome

Johan hearses....Hualin Hearse...Heavenly hearse...etc.

There are too many that would be a huge blessing to see back out someday....make a lot of builders very happy if they ever could.

Edited by disabled modeler