Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Greg Myers

Some kits you know will never be available again . . .

Recommended Posts

On 5/14/2019 at 9:18 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

To my knowledge, the Mach 1 version (which depicts an actual FoMoCo showcar) was never reissued.

Image result for AMT mach 1

The tooling was modified into three successive versions (listed in what I believe is their release order, I could be wrong). One of these versions should still be viable, whichever one was issued last probably.

Iron Horse

Image result for AMT mach 1

 

Superstang

Image result for AMT mach 1

And the Autolite Special

Image result for AMT autolite special

this was the first model i built way back in 71.  if memory serves me correctly it had decals for a ficticious driver named jimmy carson...i seem to remember another kit "driven" by kit carson but cant remember what kit it was.  anybody know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 10:51 AM, Bob Ellis said:

I think the demographics are guaranteeing that some models will never return. Young kids don't care. I remember waiting for the new cars to arrive. that doesn't happen any more. If you could combine a model kit with and electronic or computer toy?

my idea is to include a "gotta have it" app in a model box that cant be downloaded until model is built...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im too lazy to post pics but the lindberg motorized ford truck(never could get one of those motors to work) ive got one with motor pieces intact so someday ill give it another shot, the charger III(found a built one, stripped n ready for paintI)and inaccurate flying dutchman funny car-found one and built it -rare kit beda@#ed, the cosma ray (cant find one)along with the 1/16 CLEAR body petty charger(got one but ill never build it probably) are some i'd like to see reissued but will never happen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kay Sun - Strombecker - Hawk all released from the same tooling . Both of these are  Jefferies Rambler . The first year of Jefferies Production . 1902 . They also released the 1909 Hupp . I have a pic .. just cannot find i today . IMHO .. Gems and beautiful scale replica Bras Era Cars . Thanx 

I1902 Jefferies Rambler 2.JPG

1902 Jefferies Rambler 3.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I came across this one at the local hobby store somewhere around 1974 and was instantly taken in by the box art.

amo.jpg.8a0e12d7c016fdb28b8db99c5575bc22.jpg

I found it to be a well-designed kit and was especially pleased that it was a non-Hemi-powered Funny Car.  Kind of a rarity when compared to virtually every Funny Car Revell and MPC had to offer.  Never saw one again before the advent of the internet, and unfortunately, due to some major setbacks in life, I'll never be able to swing the usual $100 - $150  asking price.  

I'm told AMT reissued it a number of years later in this form

 amo..jpg.11f2799c0d8095c002c6f383d37511d2.jpg

but I never saw that version.  To be honest, at the time, this box art might've dissuaded me from buying it, where the original almost compelled me.  

 

 

 

Edited by Monty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Along with the aforementioned ITC Jaguar I also inherited an unbuilt Aurora Curved Dash Olds.  Here it is as it looked in the late '80s or early '90s.  Sadly I didn't set the parking brake and it rolled off my shelf one day, breaking a few things in the process.  Someday I should replace the molded rod stock with brass.

 

AuroraOlds.jpg.7e577ad57718ff027b5ce6716a1bfb6a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 2:43 PM, Trendsetta68 said:

Maybe these ...

I might be the only one person who'd think that these would be a cool subject for a newly tooled kit...

 

Screenshot_20190617-164059_Google.jpg

 

You're not the only one, though the Jo-han kit is pretty nice for the standards of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

You're not the only one, though the Jo-han kit is pretty nice for the standards of the time.

yes it was a very nice kit for its time !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 1:47 PM, Brian Austin said:

Along with the aforementioned ITC Jaguar I also inherited an unbuilt Aurora Curved Dash Olds.  Here it is as it looked in the late '80s or early '90s.  Sadly I didn't set the parking brake and it rolled off my shelf one day, breaking a few things in the process.  Someday I should replace the molded rod stock with brass.

 

AuroraOlds.jpg.7e577ad57718ff027b5ce6716a1bfb6a.jpg

This is 1/16 Scale IIRC. Nice build .. wow . I am planning to scratch build a 1901 Curved Dash , first year . No fenders , Wire Wheels . In 1/24 Scale to fit in my collection .  Thanx ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a kit that doesn't have much of a chance of reissue.  It was produced here in Massachusetts in the late '40s or so, in a range of old-time horse-drawn fire truck kits and other wagons.  These were produced in rough cut wood shapes, plastic wheels and other materials such as cast plaster items and rubber hose sections.  Small detail parts come packed in a war-surplus field ration wrapper. 

Two members of my model club knew the son of Mr. William H. Low, the manufacturer, who produced these kits in his basement.  There was even a brief period magazine article on him and how he made his kits.  I borrowed this kit and three others for study and photography. 

I have seen a small number of built-up models of these kits in the collections of area fire museums, though the staffs there don't appear to know anything about them.  I have also stumbled upon a blog of someone who kitbashes these kits into various types of fire wagons, so there's at least one person building these.

img231 copy.jpg

IMG_8287_copy.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW!!! That's a cool one, alright!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:38 AM, Trendsetta68 said:

I have a feeling that the '68 will see hobby stores in the near future.....😁👍🏼

So wait are you implying that Round2 is going to modify the Ertl Era 1967 into a 1968?  Because THAT 1968 is gone forever, unless you're implying that Round2 is going to permanently backdate the Heavy Chevy 1970 Impala - because that's where those annual Impalas ended up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:21 PM, Brian Austin said:

Here's a kit that doesn't have much of a chance of reissue.  It was produced here in Massachusetts in the late '40s or so...

That's amazing, both the craftsmanship to produce those kits and the fact that they survived all these years.  I really like to see these early examples of our hobby.

Here's another one that will probably never be seen again: the NITTO New York City Horse Car, in oddball 1/30 scale. A very early version of a city bus.  The car body is pre-painted red with gold trim, and the 2 horses are also painted: one white, one brown, with their harness gear pre-painted in black.  But no figures. I saw this on eBay for a low price. Part of the NITTO "Transportation Series," which seemed to only consist of 2 kits: this one and a 1/10 scale Japanese rickshaw.

horse-car.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/19/2019 at 12:38 AM, Trendsetta68 said:

I have a feeling that the '68 will see hobby stores in the near future.....😁👍🏼

I could see that there may be a slim chance that the '68 Impala would be reissued Only because it shares the '67 body style. But the '69 would have to be back dated from the '70 Impala. Wouldn't round2 have to make new molds of  all  the chrome parts as well for both kit's?  I don't think that MPC or AMT would just keep those molds for the Chrome for either the '68 or '69.

Edited by ranma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever did happen to the MPC '68 Impala molds? The chassis might have ended up in the 69+ kits but no way the '68 body could be altered to a '69+. I don't recall that the '68 Impala was ever turned into a custom (the sad fate of too many MPC annual tools in those days), but maybe I'm forgetting something. 

For that matter, what became of their '66 Bonneville molds? I can't recall any subsequent use of that one, either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Whatever did happen to the MPC '68 Impala molds? The chassis might have ended up in the 69+ kits but no way the '68 body could be altered to a '69+. I don't recall that the '68 Impala was ever turned into a custom (the sad fate of too many MPC annual tools in those days), but maybe I'm forgetting something. 

For that matter, what became of their '66 Bonneville molds? I can't recall any subsequent use of that one, either. 

I have a '68, the chassis and engine is definitely the same as the following years.

Also, I firmly believe the '71-'73 "hardtop" body is a different tooling than the '74-'76 "colonnade" top body. Way too many small changes to things between them that did not change on the 1/1 cars such as the shapes of wheel openings, trim around the windshields, the long body crease that runs the length of the car, etc. Not to mention tool marks on the inside of the bodys.

Edited by Can-Con

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2019 at 7:52 AM, Snake45 said:

Whatever did happen to the MPC '68 Impala molds? The chassis might have ended up in the 69+ kits but no way the '68 body could be altered to a '69+. I don't recall that the '68 Impala was ever turned into a custom (the sad fate of too many MPC annual tools in those days), but maybe I'm forgetting something. 

 

On 6/27/2019 at 3:50 PM, Can-Con said:

I have a '68, the chassis and engine is definitely the same as the following years.

I've also had the same thoughts on the MPC '68 Impala.  It's pretty well known that the chassis and drivetrain were reused all the way through the '76 annual, but as Snake noted, the '69 body was completely different, including the roofline, so.we.know the '68 didn't get modified for that.  I also don't know of any custom butchery of the '68 body, so theoretically the body, interior and glass tooling COULD still exist, if they weren't simply scrapped at some point.

I have a personal attachment to '68 Impalas, since we had a 1:1 as our family car back in the day.  If the remaining '68 components did still exist, it would be a dream come true if Round 2 did a mashup with the new tool '67 Impala mechanicals/chassis.  That and the '69 are the only missing links in the Impala chain nowadays.

Edited by Robberbaron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2019 at 11:55 PM, niteowl7710 said:

So wait are you implying that Round2 is going to modify the Ertl Era 1967 into a 1968?  Because THAT 1968 is gone forever, unless you're implying that Round2 is going to permanently backdate the Heavy Chevy 1970 Impala - because that's where those annual Impalas ended up.

Don't forget, the currently available 1970 Impala from Round 2 is the AMT version.  MPC had their own separate 1970 Impala kit, which was updated from their 1969 Impala SS 427 tool.  The MPC '70 Impala retained the bucket/console interior from the '69, even though they had been discontinued for the '70 MY.  I believe it even still has the SS fender badges.

The MPC '70 Impala convertible WAS released in a goofy "The Bat Machine" version, but I believe it could still be built factory stock, so I don't believe that tooling was butchered, either.  We don't really need a different 1970 Impala, since we still have the AMT '70.  However, it seems like the MPC '70 could be pretty easily backdated into a '69 SS 427, which again would fill a gap that currently exists. (also assuming the MPC 1970 Impala body/interior/glass tooling still exists)

vintage-mpc-1970-chevy-impala_1_a1d34bbabf9a3da65cc8b20813b5629e.jpg

vintage-mpc-1970-chevy-impala_1_a1d34bbabf9a3da65cc8b20813b5629e (2).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 3:50 PM, Can-Con said:

Also, I firmly believe the '71-'73 "hardtop" body is a different tooling than the '74-'76 "colonnade" top body. Way too many small changes to things between them that did not change on the 1/1 cars such as the shapes of wheel openings, trim around the windshields, the long body crease that runs the length of the car, etc. Not to mention tool marks on the inside of the bodys.

Steve, years ago my brother scored a '73 Caprice built-up kit, and we compared it to the '76 Caprice.  We were surprised by the differences and came to the exact same conclusion as you.

If that body tool still exists, it seems like it would be very easy to combine with the '76 Caprice chassis/mechanicals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

Don't forget, the currently available 1970 Impala from Round 2 is the AMT version.  MPC had their own separate 1970 Impala kit, which was updated from their 1969 Impala SS 427 tool.  The MPC '70 Impala retained the bucket/console interior from the '69, even though they had been discontinued for the '70 MY.  I believe it even still has the SS fender badges.

The MPC '70 Impala convertible WAS released in a goofy "The Bat Machine" version, but I believe it could still be built factory stock, so I don't believe that tooling was butchered, either.  We don't really need a different 1970 Impala, since we still have the AMT '70.  However, it seems like the MPC '70 could be pretty easily backdated into a '69 SS 427, which again would fill a gap that currently exists. (also assuming the MPC 1970 Impala body/interior/glass tooling still exists)

The question would be whether that was scrapped at some point in the past during the various ownerships going into the Ertl years.  I mean "The Bat Machine" is an 40+ year old kit at this point too, I'd think if it still existed and was buildable in something resembling factory stock condition it would have gotten reissued at SOME point since then as a compliment to the Heavy Chevy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be curious to see how that turbo system is set up on that Bat Machine. It looks like it would not be functional from the pic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 9:54 AM, Scott Colmer said:

I'd be curious to see how that turbo system is set up on that Bat Machine. It looks like it would not be functional from the pic. 

Not sure how that would work, but it's in the MPC '69 Impala convertible kit. The '68 Impala convertible kit I have doesn't have the turbo set-up, and the AMT '69 Impala hardtop kit doesn't have it, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can add the other Cadillac kits

image.png.b7bc24e5804af99189046377ca9eeacd.png

image.png.f7a06eaded7c6aaaa459b378ef9f5789.png

and the Mercedes 500K Sports Roadster

image.png.8e1d419aa77df5115a0ee5e951eaff91.png

to the list. Wonderful examples of model engineering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...