Model Cars Magazine Forum

2006 Cadillac Escalade

My new project and the return of McNally, Boston PI.  This story is called The Other Woman and it is a work of fiction.  All persons described in this story are not related to any one living or deceased.

The Build

Revell's Cadillac Escalade kit #85-4482.  My paint will be Tamiya TS-18 Metallic Red with Tamiya AS-15 Tan (USAF).  Upon opening this kit, I was kind of disappointed that this kit is a curbside and not a full detail kit.  The box art is deceiving as well.  The box art shows a long wheelbase Escalade and the model is a standard wheelbase model.  I need to find some mesh for the grille and I may attempt to convert the exhaust system to a true dual tailpipe system.

The Story

The tall and well dressed man walks off the elevator and into Attorney Charlotte Rothmann's new office suite and he checks in with Mandi, Charlie's receptionist.  He is about 50 years old, but he looks much younger than he actually is.  Charlie calls him into her office and offers him a seat across from her desk.  "I have been served with papers for divorce by my wife, Liza."  He presents her with the papers and Charlie quickly reads through them.

"I need all your financials and assets papers if we are to move forward," says Charlie.  Damian Williston agrees to Charlie's request and then they discuss her fees and the process ahead.  Damian says thank you and he leaves Charlie's office.  McNally is sitting outside in the waiting room and Charlie calls him in.  "I have a new assignment for you," she says.

McNally will return... 

Escalade01.JPG

Escalade02.JPG

Escalade03.JPG

On 5/11/2019 at 11:16 AM, shoopdog said:

I'll be watching. The kit I saw at Michaels was molded in orange, wish they had the white kit. Personally I like the shorty over the ESV version.

I am curious about the orange plastic kit you saw.  Every kit I have seen has been white plastic.

The box art should match the product inside the box.  I bought the kit based on the box art on the front of the box and was a little disappointed when I notice the differences between the two.  But, I now have the kit and it is nicely detailed, so it's going to be built!

13 hours ago, mrmike said:

I am curious about the orange plastic kit you saw.  Every kit I have seen has been white plastic.

The box art should match the product inside the box.  I bought the kit based on the box art on the front of the box and was a little disappointed when I notice the differences between the two.  But, I now have the kit and it is nicely detailed, so it's going to be built!

I'm excited to see McNally back and I love the 2nd gen Escalade. I just happened to pick up 2 copies of this kit last week. I checked the box, and sure enough it says molded in orange. I opened one of them and it's molded in white, just like your kit. I guess using the ESV on the box art wasn't the only mistake.

16 hours ago, mrmike said:

I am curious about the orange plastic kit you saw.  Every kit I have seen has been white plastic

Just curious Mike, did your box say molded in white?

12 hours ago, shoopdog said:

Mike, here's a link to the same kit at Tower Hobbies...

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXHABW&P=W

I do believe it is a 2003 model also.

Thanks Jacob, Keith and Andrew!

2 hours ago, avidinha said:

I'm excited to see McNally back and I love the 2nd gen Escalade. I just happened to pick up 2 copies of this kit last week. I checked the box, and sure enough it says molded in orange. I opened one of them and it's molded in white, just like your kit. I guess using the ESV on the box art wasn't the only mistake.

It sure makes me happy to see that some people enjoy reading my McNally stories.  I do try to keep them interesting as I have deleted a couple of stories over the years that didn't have any connection to a model in the stash or on the bench and I got "stuck" writing them.  Out of curiosity,  I just checked my box and the side of the box says, "MOLDED IN: White."  The longer wheelbase ESV model would have been nice to have, but come on Revell, how about some truth in advertising.  Is that too hard to accomplish?  

3 hours ago, avidinha said:

I checked the box, and sure enough it says molded in orange. I opened one of them and it's molded in white

Well I'm gonna take my chance on the kit at Michaels and see what I get. 

Mike, I think we are ready for some build pics!

The Story

At home, McNally starts doing background checks on Damian and Liza through the apps he has on his computer.  Liza works part-time from home for a make-up manufacturer and retailer.  She has a savings account with about $2500 in it.  She has been driving an older 2009 Land Rover Discovery with about 80,000 miles on it.  She has kept up the massive house and property in Brookline on her own for the last 6 months and she keeps a good eye on her two children.

Damian Williston has a home on Beacon Hill on Beacon St.  His sports car and his motorcycle are back in Brookline.  He has a savings account with about $40,000 in it.  He owns two small businesses and a large software firm.  He has a 2006 Cadillac Escalade in excellent condition with about 90,000 miles on it.  The Escalade is treated better than he or his family is.

The Build

I started off with assembling the wheels and tires.  I am not too crazy about the overly large wheels and tires in this kit, even if the tire sidewalls do have detail on them.  I have a set of Pegasus 23" Phat Daddy's that I may use instead.  They are five spoke wheels and are generally the same as the HUGE kit wheels.

teDvXF1.jpg

I spent about 10-15 minutes searching for moldlines and flash on this body.  I found some on the cowl edges and a little flash near the rear hatch opening.  The body is ready for a good washing and then primer and paint!

1RUiHiV.jpg

LyVTR5L.jpg

So far, I haven't gotten too much done on the Escalade.  I should have more done on Wednesday.

More to come... 

The Story

McNally needed more information from Damian and he drives out to Damian's home on Beacon Hill, were he was greeted by the sight of several Police cars and the Crime Scene Unit truck.  He is allowed onto the scene after he shows his PI credentials and asking to talk to the detective in charge, Lt. Det. Adam Troy.  Damian's girlfriend, Tina Leavitt was found murdered in his kitchen.  Lt. Troy tells him that Damian is in the living room with his personal attorney, Wilmot Jackson and McNally thought that Charlotte Rothmann was his attorney.  In the living room, McNally is introduced to Attorney Jackson who tells the Boston PI that he and Attorney Rothmann are no longer needed and that he needs ot leave the premises.

McNally asks Damian is that what he wants and Damian just shrugs and stares to the floor.  He turns and leaves the house, walking down the granite steps to the sidewalk and pulling out his cellphone and calling Charlie.  He tells her about the dismissal by Attorney Jackson.  Charlie says she'll find out from Damian what is going on and she'll figure out what to do next.

The Build

The exhaust system has been upgraded to a true dual tailpipe system instead of the dual into one into two exhaust.

F6t9T1I.jpg

I painted many parts of the Escalade yesterday.

oCODZ6t.jpg

yEruGmc.jpg

Now for some detailing and assembly.

McNally will return...

Edited by mrmike

The Story

The following morning, McNally arrives at the Courthouse to give testimony in another case that he had worked on, but walking down the hallway to the courtroom, he sees Attorney Wilmot Jackson.  Attorney Jackson asks why McNally is in the Courthouse and tells him that he is no longer wanted on Damian Williston's case.  "Until I am told by my superiors, I will remain investigating this case."  Attorney Jackson says that McNally is in his way of defending his client and McNally replies that if he is in the way, then Attorney Jackson is the reason for his being there.  

McNally gives Damian's attorney a hard look and continues walking to the Courtroom.  Attorney Jackson says, "BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH fool!  I'll show him."

The Build

The chassis is nearly finished.

j7xBmTl.jpg

fhEEVBe.jpg

Ub7rNS6.jpg

McNally will return...

15 hours ago, mrmike said:

Sean, I used Tamiya AS-15 Tan (USAF) straight from the can.  Grey would have been the correct factory stock color, but tan in my eye, looks better.

Thanks... Ill note that to correct some stuff on a couple builds

The Story

That evening, Attorney Charlotte Rothmann arrives at Damian's home and rings the doorbell.  He opens the door and looks surprised to see Charlie.  Allowed inside, Charlie then asks what is going on with him.  Why was he allowing Attorney Jackson to make demands upon her and McNally?  Damian doesn't know the answer to her questions.  He says that he can't think right now with all that has been happening.

Charlie asks if he wants her to continue being his divorce lawyer and he says, he doesn't know.  After a few minutes, he finally says for Charlie to send him her final invoice for her services.  Charlie replies that was the answer she was looking for and she leaves the brownstone.  She calls McNally from her car and says that Damian has fired them, but for McNally to continue looking into Tina Leavitt's death.  He says he will continue investigating.

The Build

More work done on the chassis today.  With the exception of the wheels, the chassis is done and I started on the interior.

McNally will return...

Escalade13.JPG

Escalade14.JPG

Escalade15.JPG

The Story

The following morning finds the Boston PI sprinting up the stairs to Lt. Det. Troy’s office on the 4th Floor of Boston Police Headquarters.  He approaches Adam’s officeand sees Capt. Frank Bladen in the office with him.  Adam sees McNally approaching the office and waves him in.  He is introduced to Capt. David Bladen, the head of the Homicide Unit.  McNally asks if he can see the Homicide file on Tina Leavitt's murder and Capt. Bladen asks what is his involvement on this case.

McNally explains how Damian Williston hired Attorney Rothmann as his divorce lawyer and a day later, his personal attorney wanted them dismissed and their wanting to find the killer of Tina.  Capt. Bladen, satisfied with McNally's explaination, grants access to the BPD File on the murder of Tina Leavitt.  Capt. Leavitt shakes McNally's hand and says goodbye and leaves Lt. Troy's office.

Adam says to McNally, "He told me that he wasn't going to like you."

"Must be my winning personality and charm," replies the Boston PI.

The Build

I added the tow hooks and the wheels to the chassis.  I'm still thinking on how to finish the exhaust system.  I finished the interior with decals and side panels and a mockup of the chassis and interior.  I really like the raised suspension I created!

McNally will return...

Escalade16.JPG

Escalade17.JPG

Escalade18.JPG

Edited by mrmike

The Story

The Tina Leavitt Murder Investigation was becoming as cold as the weather outside.  McNally was acting in a very, very professional manner, especially around Attorney Wilmot Jackson like he was walking on eggshells.  It was time to shake this Investigation loose and find Tina's murderer.  The best way to draw someone out of the woodwork was to annoy somebody.  He has to be very careful annoying someone so he can obtain the evidence necessary for a conviction.

Since he has been working other cases, he has been away from Boston Police Headquarters for about a month, so he'll stop there and talk with Lt. Det. Adam Troy for the latest information.  But, Adam doesn't have anything new for McNally to go on.  The case has gone cold as the weather outside and Det. Darvell doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.  Adam calls Det. Darvell into his office for any new information on the case and Darvell says he hasn't been able to find anything new on the case.  Everytime Darvell visits with Damian, his attorney is there.

McNally asks why is Damian's attorney always there.  Darvell explains that whenever he wants to talk to Damian, he has to make an appointment to see him by order of his attorney, Wilmot Jackson, which he does.  But, Damian was cleared as a suspect months ago, so why the special treatment?  McNally says that making an appointment will give Attorney Jackson time to be at Damian's house for questioning and all questions are not answered by Damian.  His attorney blocks them all!

The Build

I decided to add the body to the chassis and interior to get a good idea of my progression.  The suspension lift and the Pegasus wheels look great!

McNally will return...

Escalade19.JPG

Escalade20.JPG

Escalade21.JPG