Model Cars Magazine Forum

Techno Bubble 41 Willys Bonneville car

Hi!

A very sliced and diced Revell's 41 Willys coupe body (chopped, sectionned, fenders molded shut, opened trunk etc.), hiding a scratchbuilt AWD custom chassis that integrates modified Corvette Indy front & rear suspensions + rear engine. Parts box skinny tires & disc wheels. All the rest scratchbuilt, with painted carbon fiber finish on belly pan/floorpan & bulkhead panel. Testor's White lightning pear over grey primer. Home-made decals. 

Another member of the Flat Earth Society!

Long live the Salt!

CT

DSCF3682 (2).JPG

DSCF3666 (2).JPG

DSCF3669 (2).JPG

DSCF3671 (2).JPG

DSCF3685 (2).JPG

DSCF3686 (2).JPG

DSCF3679 (2).JPG

Hi Bill!

Actually, I used the rwd powertrain from the Corvette Indy, which was low on details. I added many components, plus a custom driveshaft that goes to the front differential, which is a Winters-type unit out of the Mickey Thompson quad-engine car. Said driveshaft passes under the driver's seat and the front bulkhead panel, to join the fixed quick-change third member. The IFS was converted from twin to single transverse mono-shock, for packaging issues.  

CT

DSCF3676 (2).JPG

DSCF3675 (2).JPG

DSCF3668 (2).JPG

Hi!

Thank you for the kind comments. 

To Barry's point, many grey beards like me believe that Bonneville is the purest form of automotive sports left... simply because it is still mostly AMATEUR, meaning without major sponsors. A bunch of faithful show up, and weather depending, go at it! I read all that is avail on le salt flats, but I've never been there. It IS on my bucket list.

In the meantime, I try to built at least one Bonnie car per year. This Willys is the latest member of my  imaginary  Flat Earth Society. 

If only the GSLMCC could coincide with the running of the races, I would be there for both!

And thanks Mr. Woodruff, for the encouragements. It's an honor. My wife was curious: any relation with Bob Woodruf, the news anchor at ABC?

CT

Hi Jon!

Well... I try to think "out of the box", and come up with things that are different, if not really unique or innovative. To that end, Bonneville cars are a blank canvas, because all kind of engineering marvels have raced the salt. There are rules of course, mostly for safety, but salt racers are an imaginative bunch. I just try to see things like I think they would!

It's still just a fantasy, hence my Flat Earth Society theme... 

CT

Hi!

Thanks for the comments. To Alexi's point, that blue "cannister" sticking trough the belly pan is a part of the Corvette Indy transaxle unit. I figured it is (and wired it) as the starter... but I can't swear to it. I could have "shaved it", but for the sake of realism, I left it on.

Might create wind drag, however. What do you think?

CT