Model Cars Magazine Forum

Techno Bubble 41 Willys Bonneville car

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 9:59 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Thank you for the kind comments. 

To Barry's point, many grey beards like me believe that Bonneville is the purest form of automotive sports left... simply because it is still mostly AMATEUR, meaning without major sponsors. A bunch of faithful show up, and weather depending, go at it! I read all that is avail on le salt flats, but I've never been there. It IS on my bucket list.

In the meantime, I try to built at least one Bonnie car per year. This Willys is the latest member of my  imaginary  Flat Earth Society. 

If only the GSLMCC could coincide with the running of the races, I would be there for both!

And thanks Mr. Woodruff, for the encouragements. It's an honor. My wife was curious: any relation with Bob Woodruf, the news anchor at ABC?No relation that I am aware of. It would be great if I could claim any connection to him,but alas.....this end of the Woodruff gene pool is the shallow end:)

Hi!

Thank you Mike for the praise. Salt flats devotees are few and far between, but I keep mining that vein, and I'm not finished yet!

4 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Thank you Mr.Woodruff. Since we are on the subject of genealogy... any relation with Len Woodruff, the famous modeler from Texas? If so, it would prove that styrene fever runs in the family... 

CT

To all of you out there that have not been to the "Flats", GO! You will see everything from semi trucks, electric vehicles, Vintage type cars, imports, you name it. There`s something for all. The sound of a BIG HORSEPOWER streamliner kicking up a white rooster tail screaming across the salt is most definitely exciting! A trip to Bonneville might just inspire you to do a build.

Edited by Nitrobarry

On 27.6.2019 at 12:02 AM, Nitrobarry said:

To all of you out there that have not been to the "Flats", GO! You will see everything from semi trucks, electric vehicles, Vintage type cars, imports, you name it. There`s something for all. The sound of a BIG HORSEPOWER streamliner kicking up a white rooster tail screaming across the salt is most definitely exciting! A trip to Bonneville might just inspire you to do a build.

Barry, do they have any cold beer out there for observers and visitors?

3 hours ago, Nitrobarry said:

You know that`s a good question. I can`t say for sure as I didn`t see any. I doubt it though since it`s located in Utah. However, I`m sure there were a few, shall we say, 6-packs floating around the place.....

Excellent, and many thanks for this valuable info.  lol.

Cool cars and cool beers go together well, so I've been told.

5 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Excellent, and many thanks for this valuable info.  lol.

Cool cars and cool beers go together well, so I've been told.

Hi guys!

Come to think of it... I can't remember any "well known" Bonneville car being "sponsored" by a beer brewer... Do you?

CT

On 7/1/2019 at 9:44 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Lucky you to have had that experience! 

CT

i was a member of 2 race teams though I also helped a few other friends while out there. I was a partner in a 32 roadster with a small block chevy in it. Went nearly 147 with a hurt sleeved 283..My personal goal out there is 250 in a car/truck I build.

42 minutes ago, chris chabre said:

i was a member of 2 race teams though I also helped a few other friends while out there. I was a partner in a 32 roadster with a small block chevy in it. Went nearly 147 with a hurt sleeved 283..My personal goal out there is 250 in a car/truck I build.

Interesting! Do you have any pix of this very 32 roadster? Might be a good subject foir my next salt flat car build...

CT

On 7/2/2019 at 10:33 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Interesting! Do you have any pix of this very 32 roadster? Might be a good subject foir my next salt flat car build...

CT

If you look up "Rolling Bones High Speed Division" Im sure youll find some stuff. The car number is "8892" ...the numbers are the bith years of the 3 partners in the car. Bill and Donnie were born in 1948, I was born in 1979, the car being a 32. It started life as a 32 5 window east coast hot rod in the 50s and then was put back on the street by Bill in the late 90s/early 2000s. If you send me an email address, I can send some photos over as well

in this photo, Good friend Derek is on the passenger side, Im behind the door with Bill behind me

Bville_calendar_004.jpg

On 07/07/2019 at 11:16 PM, chris chabre said:

this was the other roadster I was a crew member for. Car number 2321, Rolling Bones xf/FR

1852.jpg

Hi Chris!

Thanks for the pix.

Very interesting cars, and they embody the "home crew" spirit of Bonneville, for sure! 

If you wish to send me a few pix, showing if possible the interiors and the engine comptartments, I might well try to built one this coming winter. Who knows?

My email is: info@topshapes.ca 

Thanks!

CT