Model Cars Magazine Forum

Techno Bubble 41 Willys Bonneville car

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2019 at 7:29 AM, Foxer said:

WoW!  Amazing!!  love that underbody.

Hi!

Actually, the belly pan is made of a CD case, traced, trimmed, grooved and painter to mimick carbon fiber. I han no such decal on hand, so a fryin splatter screen from the Dollar store had to do, with two shades of Tamya gray to create the effect. Poor man's Kevlar!

CT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
4 hours ago, rustybill1960 said:

This is one spectacular build

Well done, immaculate detail and fine construction values

I am very glad to have seen this 

Thank You for sharing with Us here

Hi Sir!

Thank you for your comments. It was a long built... but very gratifying. To my surprise, the most painful part to produce was the "mail slot" windshield. I made it of thin CD case plastic, and it is so short vertically that I broke a few in final shaping before being capable of having a perfectly flush fitting unit. 

On a different note, I'm still mystified by the fact that so few modelers seem to be familiar with the "salt cars". Of course, it doesn't get the coverage of, say, Nascar, but nevertheless... 

CT 

35 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

For having seen it in person I can confirm that this build is simply awesome and ultra clean as for all the models built by Claude!

He is a passionate and very skillful man... besides being a good friend!!!

Hi Francis!

Thank you for the compliments my friend. Coming from a MASTER, it's much appreciated!

CT

Flat Earth Society....I like this!   Driving around in circles doesn't seem to be especially interesting.  To me, this is similar to watching a tennis match....only good for neck exercising.

My first contact with Bonneville, was when the neighbor bought a new  Bubbletop Pontiac.  Amazing!

Meantime though, I have a plans for a Salt Flats car, a chopped 32 Ford coupe.  Might be interesting with a Potvin Hemi, they model nicely.  Lots of research needed though to figure out the classification.

Claude, your car is exceptional, amazing the detail in such confined spaces, and the modeling work is utterly believable.  A truly fine model experience, a joy to view.

3 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Flat Earth Society....I like this!   Driving around in circles doesn't seem to be especially interesting.  To me, this is similar to watching a tennis match....only good for neck exercising.

My first contact with Bonneville, was when the neighbor bought a new  Bubbletop Pontiac.  Amazing!

Meantime though, I have a plans for a Salt Flats car, a chopped 32 Ford coupe.  Might be interesting with a Potvin Hemi, they model nicely.  Lots of research needed though to figure out the classification.

Claude, your car is exceptional, amazing the detail in such confined spaces, and the modeling work is utterly believable.  A truly fine model experience, a joy to view.

Hi Mike!

Thank you for the comments. Much appreciated, coming from the Brass Master!

Funny you should mention a 32 Ford. This winter, I completed my "annual" Bonneville car (I try to built at least one a year...), and it is a 32. I was inspired by a feature in The Rodders Journal, about a car under construction on a 32 platform, albeit extremely modified for the speed trials. 

So, I used the bare 32 frame from AMT's Phantom Vicky, lengtened and kicked it up, built a full roll cage, put the Monogram 87 turbo coupe 4L in it (heavily modified), and all sorts of other extensive details. The body is the AMT ProShop 32 roadster, with a scratchbuilt loooooong hood and nose cone, full belly pan, air ride fore & aft, etc. 

To poke fun at the famous So-Cal lakester... I called mine S0-CAN Speed Shop. (is there such a thing as southern Canada, anyway?)

I must do a photo session for the 8 models I built this winter, and post them here. Just can't pry myself away from the bench to shoot them all, Tomorrow, maybe... 

Keep having fun with styrene.