Model Cars Magazine Forum

On 5/23/2019 at 10:06 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I'm going to have to get you to give me a class on weathering. Great work as usual!!

Thanks guys for all the great comments. My way of weathering is really more laziness than technique. I usually rebuild old buildups I get from ebay or swap meets. The good part about that is sometimes they're painted & I don't strip them. I never know what kind of paint someone used before me so I just lightly layer some red oxide primer, flat black & new paint color right over top. I always get cracked paint or it wont stick well in spots so I end up with a crappy paint job and that's just what I'm looking for. I don't even wait for the paint to harden that good, I use an old foam sanding block (dollar store nail fine) to get through the layers and chip and scratch the paint with a toothpick. If I sand too deep & hit the plastic or find a spot that the paint wont stick well I use "sophisticated finishes rust". I wish I had taken a picture of this before I redid it. It was blue, red, green, purple candy with spear style scallops on the nose and the chrome painted yellow. It looked like a clown & unicorn puked on it.  

• 3 weeks later...

sure..."nothing great..." you're kidding!

On ‎12‎.‎05‎.‎2019 at 3:02 AM, redneckrigger said:

Excellent weathering on the paint...............................looks perfect!

agreed! it Looks awesome and so real!