Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz 426

This time I think it was easy. I got 16 answers and they were all correct. As usual it was hard to got the model year correct, but I was ok wit a 1961 - 1964 Studebaker Champ. It looks like a car due to the Lark front and it o

looks odd due to the wide pickup box. This box is originally from Dodge. did you know that the champ was the first pickup that was for sale with a sliding rear window. 

I wish that there is a resin kit of it.

The winners are:

68shortfleet

ElRoberto

Landman

crazyjim

bobthehobbyguy

sjordan2

Pete J.

Ace-Garageguy

Khils

Bucky

dw1603

ChrisR

Draggon

thatz4u

Sluggo

Earl Marischal

Well done guys.

This one is a ‘62 apparently. I was trying to guess the age based on the belt moulding, the slim grooved example shown here featured on a ‘60 sedan but I didn’t find any positive evidence of when it appeared on the Champ, I wrongly went for ‘63. Most examples I saw had a much broader moulding that tapered away to a point at the rear edge of the fender, some had a thin moulding extending across the door too. I even saw some with the “flyaway” fender moulding from the ‘62 Lark, were they factory fitted? I don’t know. As several people pointed out, it is very difficult to age a Champ accurately.

Whoops, Michael beat me by two minutes on the age, fair enough, it was him who told me anyway.

Edited by dw1603

One thing I noticed about the main subject in this thread is the mounting of the front bumper. It seems to be different from most of the pics I found in a GOOGLE search.

I did find one with the bumper mounted in this manner:

41541030045_c96e933852_b.jpg

Most of them appear to be dropped down a bit, showing a gap at the top, right under the grille:

1962_Studebaker_Champ_-_Collector_Truck_

Edited by Bucky

44 minutes ago, Bucky said:

One thing I noticed about the main subject in this thread is the mounting of the front bumper. It seems to be different from most of the pics I found in a GOOGLE search.

...Most of them appear to be dropped down a bit, showing a gap at the top, right under the grille:

The blue one appears to sit a little higher than the red one. I don't know what weight ratings these trucks came in, but a 3/4 ton could likely sit higher than a 1/2 ton, for instance. In that case, the bumper might be mounted lower slightly so as to line up with other vehicles better. Just a thought.