Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Do You Fit Warped Hood

The first thing is, that you probably should have addressed it before paint. -_-

It's hard to tell, but it looks like it has a fairly mild twist, but a pretty pronounced bow.

You could try putting it in a tub of hot water, putting enough weight on top to press it flat, and then let it cool like that.

I haven't had a lot of luck fixing warped parts myself.

I usually just try to "massage" them out with a little careful bending if they're mild, but something this pronounced will probably require some sort of heat solution.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

On 5/12/2019 at 3:39 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

The first thing is, that you probably should have addressed it before paint. -_-

Steve

Steve:

This is a builder I`m attempting to rebuild; it was painted when I acquired it. :D

I assure you I would not have wasted paint nor my time to apply several color coats to it then attempt to straighten the hood on the back end!<_<

Edited by 69NovaYenko

4 hours ago, 69NovaYenko said:

Steve:

This is a builder I`m attempting to rebuild; it was painted when I acquired it. :D

I assure you I would not have wasted paint nor my time to apply several color coats to it then attempt to straighten the hood on the back end!<_<

Got ya Greg.

I assumed, when I saw that the body was attached to a paint rack in the photo, that it had just been painted.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

On 12.5.2019 at 10:39 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

something this pronounced will probably require some sort of heat solution.

I agree, maybe a food dehydrator could be of some use for warming up the plastic in this case. With it's possibility to create a continous and controllable temperature window, I gather this will be more effective than hot water, hairdryer etc. 

Been following this topic and by no means do I have first hand experience but, considering any attempt to soften the plastic may soften the paint as well, I would think that the paint may get damaged while manipulating the plastic to straighten it out. If this was my project I think I would just strip it first then try any or all the great ideas for softening and straightening it then repaint! Just my two cents!?

13 hours ago, randx0 said:

Be careful with the food dehydrator it's just as likely to make the warp worse .

Yes, the same as you'll ALWAYS have to be, using one for this purpose. It goes without saying that a FH with temperature control and timer should be used. Low temperature setting and frequent control of the plastic's state is mandatory. 

9 hours ago, JohnU said:

Been following this topic and by no means do I have first hand experience but, considering any attempt to soften the plastic may soften the paint as well, I would think that the paint may get damaged while manipulating the plastic to straighten it out. If this was my project I think I would just strip it first then try any or all the great ideas for softening and straightening it then repaint! Just my two cents!?

I guess the paint is not the issue here, as far as I understand, the paint was already on when he bought it, so he'll likely strip off the paint anyway...

Edited by Tommy124