Model Cars Magazine Forum

Larger vintage model car to customize (I hope)

Got this large older 1964 car model and really want to redo as a custom..paint, interior, chrome and such. I joined here to get some advice, help and ideas from this group. 

Chrome is the biggest obstacle so far,,,too much to send in to a rechroming shop,,,paint so far is not working. I tried the Melotow chrome markers but cannot do a smooth larger surface with them. Also saw a YouTube video of a guy testing the Melotow chrome paint and it does not look as deep or mirror like as the marker does..he said to break open the marker and use that in your spray gun (sounds like it could go wrong for sure).

So ideas on chrome...

Paint is not a big problem but what I want to do might be...love to do a 70s multi color paint job but talent might be lacking in that direction...

Interior,,again lots of chrome there but seats come apart so covering them with thin vinyl should be ok...

Thanks for the time and here are a few pics of the project..(taking it apart was a breeze as all parts snap together or are screw attached).

c5-L.jpg

c6-M.jpg

c7-L.jpg

c4-X2.jpg

1964 toy car made to resemble a few USA vehicles of the day but not just one. Not worth a whole lot so custom is what I want,,,new paint, chrome,,and more maybe. Has clear headlights and tail lights so might also try to make the lights work. 

Welcome to the forum Paul. You have an interesting looking project there.

Sorry, I have no knowledge of the Molotow pens or paint. I have a Molotow 1mm pen, it's still in the blister pack:rolleyes:. Their paint may depend on the fluid needle/nozzle of the airbrush. I do not know what it's viscosity is.

You may want to consider painting at least some of the chrome body base color. That would solve part of your issue.

Being the model is so large you could do a considerable amount of paint work on it. Here's a link to a post on the forum that I love, as you can tell if you click on it. Might give you a few ideas.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/142046-70s-paint-jobs/

Crusader 101...They go for good money on Ebay. I had one as a wee lad.

Saw one at a swap meet at a very nice price and bought it. Put it on Ebay and tripled my moolah

Barbie doll collectors want them as they are pretty much the right scale from what I was told

Molotow pens and also Alclad II Chrome are nice but very fragile finishes.  They will not withstand much handling.  There is a current discussion (fairly lengthy) about Alsa Chrome system. It is pricey, but you can do it yourself and it is supposedly very durable.  See:

That is so cool! What is it called so I can find one? 

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

OK, never mind I found it! Something else to add to the wish list!

Edited by twotonegmc
updating information