[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

Board Maintenance   03/14/2019

The board is going offline Saturday, May 25th, from 9 AM PDT until 3 PM for a software upgrade. See posting in General.
GLMFAA1

Chinese tariff war and models

3 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Price increases might not affect the old fellas with “enough for a lifetime” but it sure does affect the new guys. Keep that in mind. Without people buying the new issues the hobby would be in a worse state of affairs.

They can always buy Japanese kits from aboard.

Please remember to keep the discussion focused on how this impacts our hobby. Folks are starting outright political discussions and that will get the thread locked down. I have removed several posts recently.

2 hours ago, Xingu said:

Please remember to keep the discussion focused on how this impacts our hobby. Folks are starting outright political discussions and that will get the thread locked down. I have removed several posts recently.

Bravo!

8 hours ago, fumi said:

Japanese kits do not always interest me. So eliminating options doesn’t really help either:wacko:

8 hours ago, fumi said:

True, but the Japanese manufacturers usually have a completely different subject matter than the US based companies. For those who love American muscle or old hot rods, kits from abroad are not an option.

Short term I think there will be increases which will affect sales. Hopefully when the dust settles the greed factor won't kick and and part of the tariff cost won't end up permanently.

For those of us who have enough kits to build for several millenia might be a time to reduce the kit stash.

For those  without a lot of kits more time detailing might be a way to extend the modeling experience.

Also might be the time to explore doing some scratchbuilding.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy
Additional comment.

Holy broken bones Batman! You will soon be paying similar prices to Europeans for your kits!

Joking aside, Ebay and second hand sales at model shows should keep most of us happy if things get a bit expensive.

Can't remember the last time I actually bought a new kit!

Now what happened to that Bogwart 500 Deluxe Convertible that I had in my stash?

Edited by Bugatti Fan