Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just getting started

I have built models over the years, but never with any attention to detail.  As a kid I was given a couple of Snap-Tite models without paint or glue and enjoyed putting them together.  I joined the military after high school and tried to do a couple in my dorm, but time and space did not allow good results.  Later, as a young father, I tried again.  Life and kids got in the way. 

About a month ago, I decided to try again.  I found a 58 Edsel about 80% complete in the closet that I started about 20 years ago and finished it.  I am not good at fine details, and have a lot to learn.  I will never win any contests, but I enjoy the creativity that comes with the kits. 

I live in North Pole, Alaska.  We do not have a hobby store here (other than Michaels).  Getting supplies has proven to be a challenge, but I am getting there.

Edsel.jpg

Ha! Same story as the rest of us.  I built as a kid through teens until real cars and girls took over.  I attempted to build again in my 20s with a young family but got poor results because I was still using my 15 year old skills!   Finally in my 30s I found Scale Auto Enthusiast Magazine on a magazine rack and that changed my life forever!  In the classifieds there was a small ad for the Tri-State Scale Model Car Club.  I responded and wound up joining the club in the late 1980s.  Suddenly my models took a super leap in quality. The people in the club took me under their wing and taught me the tricks.  It wasn't so much skill, but techniques and materials I hadn't discovered on my own.  I was on my way!

Today you have the Internet so you can learn 24/7, you should do very well here on the board!  Just ask questions and heed the advise.

And it's interesting that there's a Michael's at the North Pole!   :D    You still have the Internet to order more specialized kits and supplies.

Welcome Brain. You became a member of a fantastic forum. You’ll learn so much from the members here and everyone here is more than willing to help with questions you might have.  Build where your heart takes you. Whether it’s a stock build or something of your imagination. Model building should be a fun hobby. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...