Model Cars Magazine Forum

Actually, the letter designation in A, B or C trains specifies the type of connection between the two trailers. A trains typically have an 'A' shaped dolly that connects with a pintle hook. B trains have a lead trailer with an extra two axles under a 5th wheel. C trains are really rare as they are costly upkeep, but essentially its an extension off the lead trailer to a 5th wheel, causing lots of wear on tires during turns.

If that's a dolly under the front of the 2nd trailer that set is an A train.  Hauled  both A & B trains load limit here in Washington State, BC, Oregon is 105,500.

Drove sets of drybulk cement sets in A/B configurations.

Also A/B sets of lumber flats hauling Canadian Cedar from BC to Oregon then Oregon wood to Washington then Washington wood to BC. 

14 hours ago, NothingAsFineAsaW9 said:

If that's a dolly under the front of the 2nd trailer that set is an A train.  Hauled  both A & B trains load limit here in Washington State, BC, Oregon is 105,500.

Drove sets of drybulk cement sets in A/B configurations.

Also A/B sets of lumber flats hauling Canadian Cedar from BC to Oregon then Oregon wood to Washington then Washington wood to BC. 

That is a dolly.

1 hour ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Well I just learned something too. Is a set of standard pups consider an A Train then or just doubles? We don't see anything like this in North Carolina. I still remember when doubles weren't allowed at all here.

Very nice build by the way!

I want to say just doubles but I could be wrong!! Lol

Okay back up here a second partially my bad. 

A train 2 flatbed trailers with a dolly. 

Per dot i looked this up under their interpretations

Doubles/triples 2 or 3 trailers with dollies not flatbed.

B train flatbed trailers attached via a fifth wheel mounted to the lead trailer and or following trailers to make a larger aka Australian road train. 

Your tanker model falls into a doubles combo set because of the dolly. 

I've driven triples in Oregon, Idaho,  Utah. 

Triples will earn your respect in a hurry 1/8th to 1/4 inch on the steering wheel equates to 2-2.5 feet of lane sway on the last trailers rear axle works great on tailgaters we call it cracking the whip.  Lol. 

Drove triples with an IH 9600 Cat 9 speed those were the day's. 

Edited by NothingAsFineAsaW9

Clayton Doubles can have single Axles & or Tandem rear trailer axles depending on their use, also if it's a 28' or 32' trailer. 

Now the dolly tounges can get quite confusing, Clayton i've pulled 4' tounge dollies but not into Canada.

Canada we had to have a dolly with a sliding tongue like a log trailer before we crossed the Canadian border.

We by Canadian law had to stretch the tongue out to 10 feet to meet their bridge laws. 

But coming back into the US we had to shorten the dolly tongue back to the 4'-6' dolly length for US bridge laws and overall length.

Very confusing but effective.

Edited by NothingAsFineAsaW9