Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT go kart

Paul Payne

Well, it's been awhile since I posted anything, but in between working on my 1936 Ford 3 window coupe I put together what I consider one of the great bonus kits by AMT. I got an upper body, canopy, and belly pan of the streamlined go-kart as part of a trade- no chassis, engine, wheels or tires. I decided to go radical and built a dohc straight four from half of a grand prix racing engine, mounted sidewinder style, with a supercharger and dual throat carb. The belly pan was not salvageable (I decided to display it as though it had been wrecked), so I asked Norm Weber for a replacement which he graciously supplied. The frame, drive train, and running gear were put together from bits and pieces. The original exhaust exit holes in the body were filled in and a new one cut in the belly pan for the 4 into 1 exhaust. The wheels are cut down salt flats discs from the AMT Avanti, and the tires are o-rings. The seat is from a Green Hornet with a scratch built head rest.The trailer was a built-up haul away trailer I modified to fit the kart (needed to be wider between the fenders). For fun, I decided to use my rebuilt Black Widow as the tow truck. All the pictures were shot with my wife's I-phone- amazing how good camera phones have become!  I will have some additional photos soon when Betsy has a chance to resize and e-mail them to me.

gokart display01sm.jpg

gokart01sm.jpg

gokart02sm.jpg

gokart03sm.jpg

Theraif, thanks much for sharing that great picture. Definitely looks like AMT may have been inspired by this little car. I wonder what kind of engine, and what displacement was used? If you have any info or a link, could you send it on?

Thanks all for your positive responses to this different little project.

• 2 weeks later...