Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Dodge Charger Daytona


john66
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am about 1/2 done with this. I have the interior done and the engine done. I am currently priming the

chassis flat white getting it ready for the yellow. I see the instructions show putting the body on the

frame-chassis unit then adding the nose. Is there any construction reason why the nose can't be added

to the body before adding it to the chassis-frame unit? I want to paint the nose-body as one unit to get

a good uniform paint job. Here's a few pictures of where I am at.---John

zDEg7su.jpg

X9IC82O.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could tape the nose on while you do the color coat.  You could also tape it on and see if the chassis will fit before gluing.

I built the Superbird a long time ago and painted the nose separately,  which I regretted because the color difference is very obvious.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well the noses on many of them were ever so slightly different. I'm sure there is a more informed mopar fan here, but I think it had to do with the different materials and that they were painted separate. So you could claim you were super detailing. ?

Edited by FredRPG
Grammer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Steamboat said:

You could tape the nose on while you do the color coat.  You could also tape it on and see if the chassis will fit before gluing.

I built the Superbird a long time ago and painted the nose separately,  which I regretted because the color difference is very obvious.  

 

 

12 hours ago, FredRPG said:

Well the noses on many of them were ever so slightly different. I'm sure there is a more informed mopar fan here, but I think it had to do with the different materials and that they were painted separate. So you could claim you were super detailing. ?

I agree, the nose didn’t always match the car!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried the nose on the body. From what I see the best way to paint this is glue

the belly pan to the nose. Then paint the nose and body at the same time but

not connected with tape or glue. If the fit is off a bit it shouldn't be noticed as

the nose has that rubber seal all around it anyways.I also tried it with the chassis

in the body and the belly pan goes over the frame so you can't glue the nose to

the body first, it won't fit right. I will prime the nose and body white then paint both

yellow at the same time but not connected as shown in the last picture.---John

qFLKlpa.jpg

pGBw3Jt.jpg

Qa6SSJP.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, john66 said:

I tried the nose on the body. From what I see the best way to paint this is glue

the belly pan to the nose. Then paint the nose and body at the same time but

not connected with tape or glue. If the fit is off a bit it shouldn't be noticed as

the nose has that rubber seal all around it anyways.I also tried it with the chassis

in the body and the belly pan goes over the frame so you can't glue the nose to

the body first, it won't fit right. I will prime the nose and body white then paint both

yellow at the same time but not connected as shown in the last picture.---John

 

 

74654391-CEB4-42A9-BE58-A59CBC4BF4C9.thumb.jpeg.c391f1540b906509fc52c532b06b6cda.jpeg I noticed the first time I built this kit that the seal around the nose should be flush if not recessed a little bit. It also should extend into the engine bay slightly. To do this I simply scribed along the seal on the nosecone itself to create a new edge of the steel nosecone. Then I sanded down the seal. I also added some plastic to the seal to enter into the engine bay. I hope this helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...