Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell "Extras": Sandman Dune Buggy, Snowmobiles, Jet Ski's etc.

While not standalone kits, these add-ins from the late seventies through the mid eighties are pretty interesting. I understand that they have pretty low parts counts, but they all seem to look the part nonetheless. I believe there was also a Formula Vee racer as well (or maybe a smaller cycle-powered single seat open wheeler). Any observations, photos, and references to kits they were released with would be welcomed.

Edited by garagepunk66

There was a Malibu Grand Prix racer as part of this kit series.  It was a full detail replica of the real car used at the Malibu go kart type tracks....it was paired with Revell's late 1970's early 1980's Toyota pickup truck and a trailer if I am recalling correctly.    TIM .  

12 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Oh yes, they made some cool stuff! These kits are a big part of my childhood building years! 

Just before time getting into the hobby,  I would of loved to be partaking in the hobby during this time,  these are really neat.

Edited by martinfan5

These are some of my favorite kits! The Malibu Grand Prix Kit is my most favorite! I finally just found one, mint, still sealed for $40.00 on EBay! I then found just the Virage race car by itself. It’s assembled but will be rebuilt and detailed. I built three of those sets back in the early eighties when they first came out. I bought them at a Malibu Grand Prix track we had here in San Antonio. My second favorite is the Mean Mudder van set. I’m building one of those fully detailed with actual four wheel drive suspension. (The Kit is only two wheel drive) its also getting actual tool boxes and accessories inside to replace the molded in ones.

12 hours ago, alexis said:

I have this kit.  I have never seen another.

Boxart 4x4 Chevy Blazer 6508 Revell

This was a very weird time for Revell, being owned by a French Co. that wanted show biz tie ins, but, they where mostly for some odd stuff. 

Tom West told me about this and tried to talk them out of doing some of this stuff, but, they insisted and the rest is history.

I remember seeing them on the shelves, but I found them a bit too silly for me at that time. Should have bought them all when they cleared them out at $2 bucks a pop! 

Image result for revell stomper 4x4

Edited by Daddyfink

15 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

This was a very weird time for Revell, being owned by a French Co. that wanted show biz tie ins, but, they where mostly for some odd stuff. 

Tom West told me about this and tried to talk them out of doing some of this stuff, but, they insisted and the rest is history.

I remember seeing them on the shelves, but I found them a bit too silly for me at that time. Should have bought them all when they cleared them out at $2 bucks a pop! 

Image result for revell stomper 4x4

Were the tires hard plastic in these Stomper kits?