Model Cars Magazine Forum

Forum Software Upgrade -- Failed

I will be taking the forum offline for a software upgrade on Saturday, May 25th, and starting about 9 AM Pacific Daylight Time. That's high noon for you east coasters, and other denizens of the eastern time zone. 

I anticipate the upgrade will take about 6 hours, but it could take longer, or if I'm really lucky, it will all go smoothly, and we're back on the air sooner. 

Contributions to the sysadmin coffee fund are gratefully accepted. 

When I am done, you can expect the appearance, and some of the functionality to change. I'll try to document the changes best I can, but it probably won't be complete. I'll start a couple of threads here for problems, hints, and hacks. 

I know you can all find something to do while the board is down. Take pictures of what you're doing, and we can all post them afterward. 

I'd like to think this will fix our 404 problem, but it may well not. It will let us work on the solution as the current software is so out of date that the vendor doesn't want to try diagnosing any problems with it. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

-- Dave Ambrose

1 hour ago, RichCostello said:

How can I find out what my log-in password is, in case I have to sign back in? I've had it saved for years, and don't remember what it is.

You will probably have to setup a new one. Click on forgot password, at log in, and follow the instructions.

Good luck.  Having been through many software upgrades professionally over the years, I’ve had ones that went very smoothly and some that have been disasters.  At least it’s not at night like they usually are, but having to do it on a Holiday Weekend kind of sucks. 

On 5/19/2019 at 8:44 PM, Rob Hall said:

Good luck.  Having been through many software upgrades professionally over the years, I’ve had ones that went very smoothly and some that have been disasters.  At least it’s not at night like they usually are, but having to do it on a Holiday Weekend kind of sucks. 

Thanks. It's not my favorite time slot, but I need to do this when I'm fresh, rested, and aware of my surroundings.   :D There will be a stop at Starbucks prior to the start of the upgrade. 

• Dave Ambrose changed the title to Forum Software Upgrade -- Failed

Well, that didn't go as planned. Ran into a couple of problems that caused the update to fail, and I had to restore the site from the backup made at the beginning of this process. I know what went wrong, but it will take some time to fix. 

I'll let you know when our next attempt will happen. 

I do apologize for it taking so long. The backups are 170 GB. They take a long time to make, and a long time to restore. 

Please let me know if you encounter any problems. Thank you all for being patient. 

16 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Well, that didn't go as planned. Ran into a couple of problems that caused the update to fail, and I had to restore the site from the backup made at the beginning of this process. I know what went wrong, but it will take some time to fix. 

I'll let you know when our next attempt will happen. 

I do apologize for it taking so long. The backups are 170 GB. They take a long time to make, and a long time to restore. 

Please let me know if you encounter any problems. Thank you all for being patient. 

Thanks for the efforts to maintain the site, it is much appreciated that it is kept up. I know it is not a source of revenue, but is a source of information, fellowship, and inspiration for many.