Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone make an '84 Trans Am with factory aero kit?

I feel like a fool asking this one! I found a hardtop Firebird at the MAMA show the other day, and want to turn it into the LSx-powered monster I'll build in full scale some day. 

With the MPC / AMT kits, there is a gap between the first, plain-bodied, '82 Firebird with its slatted, front "intakes," and the more bulbous, no-grilles 85+ body style. There are some crazy aero pieces in some of the kits, and I know I can piece together something that looks right for an '84, but it would be great to find the factory kit in ready-made form. If I recall, the Revell kit was slightly different in scale, but I'll certainly use it if it contained optional pieces that fit the bill. Here's how it looks. My favorite of the third-gens, save for that silly rear wing. 

The optional pieces in the '82 kit remind me of the Mecham T/A. Not bad, just a little extreme lol. 

Thanks for any input you can give me : ) 

Nick 

84transamcd.jpg

I don't remember ever seeing a kit with that aero package. Just the earlier ones and the '85-up like my 1/1.

Shouldn't be too hard to make though. You can make the grille block offs easily by just flipping the grills over and sanding the backs smooth and swapping them side to side.

That hardtop you have must be the MPC '82 with the black car on the box? As far as I can tell, it's the only 3rd gen Firebird 1/25 that dosen't have the T-tops. I used that body when I built a replica of my car.

IMG 2187

On 5/17/2019 at 9:23 PM, Can-Con said:

I don't remember ever seeing a kit with that aero package. Just the earlier ones and the '85-up like my 1/1.

Shouldn't be too hard to make though. You can make the grille block offs easily by just flipping the grills over and sanding the backs smooth and swapping them side to side.

That hardtop you have must be the MPC '82 with the black car on the box? As far as I can tell, it's the only 3rd gen Firebird 1/25 that dosen't have the T-tops. I used that body when I built a replica of my car.

IMG 2187

That's the one, yep! Thanks for your replies, fellas, and I'll post whatever I come up with...