Model Cars Magazine Forum

Last Gen (2013-2017) Viper

ismaelg

Hello,

After finishing my Ford GT and having it parked next to one of my Corvettes, it occurred to me I need one more All American powerhouse 2 seater: a Viper.  I like the first and the last generation Vipers.  Actually my favorite is the 1996 GTS coupe.  I like the looks of the last gen but unfortunately it was discontinued in 2017.
Since there are no kits of last Gen Vipers (insert rant here about a dying hobby because we don't cater to the young ones), the only alternative is a 1/24 Maisto.  I found this abused puppy on ebay and rescued it.  Now I know what they mean when they say "from smoke free home" in some items.  This one didn't and as soon as the package was opened, the smell of smoke and cigarette hit me like a freight train! YUCK!
So this baby is missing the mirrors and it is all scratched up.  But the most important parts; the "glass" (windshield, rear window, headlights and tail lights) are in good shape. Just dirty.
So this is how it came in the mail:

2v2EicfPjxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EicfiMxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EicfSNxJ21ND.jpg

Typical diecast, the gaps are awful, no brakes, stance can be improved and the "engine" is a joke so the hood will be shut for good.

Within minutes it looked like this:
2v2EicfLMxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EicfgzxJ21ND.jpg

The stripper did the job...  Wait, that doesn't sound right....  :)   I mean.....
2v2EifFjMxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EifFr8xJ21ND.jpg

I have no idea where this is going except that it is not going back to original and it will be blue.

Thanks,
Ismael

Cool.  I've always found die-cast cars are immediately identifiable by their soft panel lines and chunky panel gaps, even when re-built by excellent modelers. That has led me to wonder--is it possible to build up the edges of the panels (say, with JB weld) and sand/re-scribe them to get sharp, in-scale panel gaps? It could make a big difference in realism, especially on the hood and doors of this Viper.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Hello,

This kind of project comes out of nowhere and next you know you are immersed in it!

Filed a lot of material from the front of the driver's door to align with the front fender.  Added material to the back of the door.

2v2Ei67Y8xJ21ND.jpg 

Quick burst of primer shows the gap is still uneven but moving in the right direction.  Once tweaked will concentrate on the front of the door.

2v2Ei67RFxJ21ND.jpg 

Thanks,
Ismael

• 8 months later...

I know this is a bit of a high Jack, but I just boxed up a Welly BMW to go in the mail this evening.  I was amazed at the shut lines.  Took photos.  This is a real cheap, but check out the panel gaps.  Pretty tight and sharp.  

With the or if the way, this viper is looking great!  Keep going.  Really like to see it completed

IMG_20200130_190546520.jpg

IMG_20200130_190551074.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I was finally able to start clearcoating this thing. First light coat of clear and already hard to photograph due to the shine :P
More coats will follow before letting it rest, before polishing the heck out of it.  Should be done in less than 10 more years
Scalefinishes 500 series single stage clear
2v2HQ34A5xJ21ND.jpg

2v2HQ341nxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HQ34eyxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Hello,

While the clear dries for a few days before polishing, there is still a ton of work left on this thing to make it halfway decent.  There are no brakes in this thing so I have to fix that.  To me, brakes are a huge part of the appearance of a performance car.  There are no factory stock brakes available in scale for this generation Viper.  So I made my own. I don't have a 3D printer so I cut 2 level stacked calipers and rotors. Front and rear calipers are different and the rotors slightly bigger up front.  Stack 'em up, paint and you get something like this.  
May not be the best but it looks the part.
2v2HQn11GxJ21ND.jpg 
Thanks,

Hello,

This was supposed to be just a repaint.  But I can't live with that interior.  Added seatbelt and buckle, some painting and drybrushing some light gray to bring out some texture.  After all, it will barely be seen at the end. 

See that lump where a shifter is supposed to go? Stay tuned.....

2v2HQyyEjxJ21ND.jpg

Can you notice the difference?

2v2HQyqQrxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Hello,

Printed some Brembo logos in my computer.
2v2HbQST5xJ21ND.jpg

The interior is as basic as it can get but I tried to put some life in it with paint. 
Added carpeting. Hey! This is an expensive car!
Scratchbuilt the shifter and seatbelts.  You can't see it in these pics but I did the "H" pattern in the shifter with the hobby knife. 

2v2HbQSVrxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HbQSSNxJ21ND.jpg

As for the dashboard, nothing spectacular to write home about.  Detail painted and dullcoated the plastic for a better look.
2v2HbQVFnxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello,

After a long hibernation, THIS ONE IS DONE!!!

While I make sure in the pics it looks as good as it can be, the truth is that this model is nowhere near any of my others.  I don't go to model shows. But if I did, this will most probably stay home.  But I'm happy it is done.

This one is dedicated to Bill Brown, a fellow modeler from the Scale Motorsports forum  who passed away a few months ago.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, presenting my 2016 Viper GTS coupe.

I adjusted the ride height but I still think it needs to be a tad lower in the back.  But I tried to lower it more and the paint chipped very ugly in the wheel well.  So I think it is what it is.  Home printed inspection sticker, license plate and 3rd brake light.  Emblems shaved off.  Scalefinishes Viper GTS blue.
2v2HmhHJdxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HmhH9qxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HmhEDGxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HmhETFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HmhECNxJ21ND.jpg

Interior is nothing to write home about.  Flocking carpeting and seat belts were added.

2v2HmhHo5xJ21ND.jpg

And the reason for this build:  I envisioned this picture in my mind when I finished the Ford GT last year.

My 3 American 2 seater powerhouses

From left to right, Night street racer (2 extra cylinders),  Top Speed toy (2 missing cylinders), Daily driver and weekend toy (correct number of cylinders) :)

2v2HmhEFyxJ21ND.jpg

2017, 2016, 2015 model years respectively
2v2HmhEjqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HmhEyNxJ21ND.jpg

Hope you like it.  What do you think?

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg