Model Cars Magazine Forum

Joe Weatherly NASCAR '61 Pontiac

Shambles

This is looking really great.

I recently got the Moebius stock '61 Catalina, it's a nice model, and am currently attempting to mix some Pontiac colors using Vallejo Metallic Polyurethane Acrylics.

Looking forward to getting the same Joe Weatherly version of the kit which I ordered two weeks ago from your side of the pond.

I don't know very much about NASCAR,  but am learning about the drivers and their cars.

Edited by Wm David Green

NASCAR has gotten pretty boring lately. I loved it back in the 50s, 60, and 70s when they were still "stock" cars. I'm enjoying researching the old stock car drivers and my goal is to make models of some of them that the model kit makers didn't.  This a Buc Baker project. On hold until i get my new model room set up.

IMG_1504.jpeg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2d79.jpg

This is just one Nascar project, but got a couple of kits to experiment. Back then, some left the chrome trim on, some removed it. I tried grinding off all of the trim then using putty to smooth it over. I'm still working on that.

Edited by Shambles
clarification

13 hours ago, Shambles said:

This is just one Nascar project, but got a couple of kits to experiment. Back then, some left the chrome trim on, some removed it. I tried grinding off all of the trim then using putty to smooth it over. I'm still working on that.

I find cutting and then side scraping with a #11 exacto blade to get the chrome trim of the body is good. It does less damage and you don have to use putty to fix any damage. It takes longer then a grinder but the time you save not puttying and  sanding the putty smooth makes up for it.

Thanks, Mark. I've. used that method before but on these '58 kits the side trim is really thick so I thought I'd try grinding it off. It's one of several projects I have on hold until my house projects are don.