Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Is It?

Tom99

No idea what it is, but looks like someone was trying to turn a Toronado into a "pimp-mobile".  Looks like the top is either from an AMX or possibly a Mustang, maybe a combination of both, and that nose piece is almost a Firebird.  Either way, some really questionable styling ideas. 

14 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

No idea what it is, but looks like someone was trying to turn a Toronado into a "pimp-mobile".  Looks like the top is either from an AMX or possibly a Mustang, maybe a combination of both, and that nose piece is almost a Firebird.  Either way, some really questionable styling ideas. 

it looks like a toronado and amx combined to me ?

Hi!

Harry Bradley did a lot of "outstanding" designs in the early 70's. I remember a feature in Car Life titled: The wagon as a GT.  The crop of pony-cars (Mustang, Cougar, Camaro, Javelin, Cuda, Challenger, Pontiac Trans-Am ) were given the "shooting brake" treatment, or sport station wagon if you prefer, à la Nomad. It was very well done. 

This, however, looks more like an answer to the Neo-Classics: Excalibur, and the design exercises made by Virgil Exner for Renwall... revisiting Stutz & Al. glory days. 

Well, the detroit Big 3 were playing catch-up with each other... so for the kit companies to do the same is not a suprise, isn't it?

CT

I've always like Harry Bradley's awesome illustrations and renderings. He could draw like crazy, but I'm struck by the absolutely unimpeded exuberance of many of his designs. That's both good and bad...very fresh and creative, but also lots of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" going on, especially in cars like The Californian. Artists tend to get worn down by people telling them "no, that's nuts, we can't do it", but Harry Bradley apparently had the freedom to keep pumping out crazy ideas, probably with the idea that every so often he'd land a solid punch.  It must have been rewarding to him as an artist!

This has to be a rare kit, right? I can't imagine they sold very well, haha!

On 5/22/2019 at 2:09 AM, Russell C said:

I was hoping you were kidding on that, but I guess not.

4258200521_32395fc273.jpg

I would call that "jumping the shark". Some artists seem too get too creative. :wacko:

But then again, there is plenty of "art" out there that looks like it was created by a finger-painting gorilla, and it fetches huge amounts of mullah!