Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Revell Landrover Kit.

I hope the kit is the LWB that Revell showed earlier.  I have the Italeri Kit in both forms, and of course, like all Landrover fans, I lust for the Legendary Monogram SWB Kit. I know that the Monogram kit will never be seen again (Does Atlantis Models have it! I'd love to ask). I place my new Landrover hopes in this new kit. I'm anxious to see what is in it. I know I'll be getting more than three or four on these kits.

Is there any more info other than just a pic I saw in a Revell email?  

It had a link to sign up  for something on the Germany site but it never revealed any more info about the kit that I could see or translate.

No photos of the actual kit yet that I could find. The ONLY pic I've seen is the one of the real Land Rover with the roof rack.

Several non-US vendors have it available for pre-order. But only one vendor, Spot Model, is showing a release date: October 14, 2019

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=52324&language=en

5 hours ago, alexis said:

like all Landrover fans, I lust for the Legendary Monogram SWB Kit. I know that the Monogram kit will never be seen again

any idea why the Monogram version hasn't been reissued ?? I'm kind of hoping this might be it

just hoping this will be 1/25-1/24 th scale and not some 1/35 th reissue

Edited by 440 Dakota

Nobody seems to know the status of the Monogram Land Rover. Link below to Chuck Most's great 2015 article about the kit.

Some trivia: years ago on the internet, a guy posted that he had worked on the real Land Rover Monogram measured for that kit.  He said it lived in Burbank, CA. He knew it was that Land Rover because the real vehicle had a U.S. spec carburetor, and so did the kit.

The bad news, I guess, is that this can't be the Monogram kit.  The Monogram kit was a short wheelbase 2-door Land Rover. All of Revell's descriptions/photos say the new one is a long wheelbase 4-door.  The good news is that it isn't 1/35 scale, which is what I suspected at first.  Assuming the Revell photos and descriptions are right, of course...

http://chuckmost.wixsite.com/madhouse-miniatures/single-post/2015/04/07/The-Sad-and-Sordid-tale-of-Monograms-Land-Rover

9 hours ago, High octane said:

A few/several years ago I bought the ESC! LWB Land Rover and it looks like a decent kit, hopefully one of these years I'll build it.

That's a rare kit you have there.  The 1/24 ESCI Land Rover with the soft top is the only one never re-issued by Italeri (yet). The other 2 were the "Paratrooper" military version with no top and the "African Safari" version with the hard top.

Just a couple of years ago, Italeri upgraded its ancient 1/35 scale military Land Rover kit with some new parts: a different hard top, police lights/decals to build a Spanish "Guardia Civil" version, and even options for left or right hand steering. 

I keep hoping they will do that with the 1/24 kits. Italeri did upgrade their 1/24 Jeep and (ex-ESCI) Toyota BJ-44 kits with a new .50 caliber machine gun but that was quite a few years ago and the BJ-44 is Unobtainium now.  A straight re-issue of their BJ-44 "Savannah Master" kit would also be great. It had a roof rack full of nice accessories:  jerry cans, wooden crates, 2 spare tires and some tarps.

Edited by Mike999
omit

36 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

That's a rare kit you have there.  The 1/24 ESCI Land Rover with the soft top is the only one never re-issued by Italeri (yet). The other 2 were the "Paratrooper" military version with no top and the "African Safari" version with the hard top.

Just a couple of years ago, Italeri upgraded its ancient 1/35 scale military Land Rover kit with some new parts: a different hard top, police lights/decals to build a Spanish "Guardia Civil" version, and even options for left or right hand steering. 

I keep hoping they will do that with the 1/24 kits. Italeri did upgrade their 1/24 Jeep and (ex-ESCI) Toyota BJ-44 kits with a new .50 caliber machine gun but that was quite a few years ago and the BJ-44 is Unobtainium now.  A straight re-issue of their BJ-44 "Savannah Master" kit would also be great. It had a roof rack full of nice accessories:  jerry cans, wooden crates, 2 spare tires and some tarps.

Mike, I'm hoping to build my Land Rover into a "tour vehicle" like I rode in when in Bora Bora several years ago.

image.png.44204f818fc66ab8ca5d06db66ca0d62.png

• 1 month later...

They sent out a new email, no real info on the kit (all back story on the Rover still) but it does have a pre-order link now.

29.99 Euros
Kit #07047
105 parts
185mm long

Coming out in Europe, Sept 2019.  

https://www.revell.de/produkte/modellbau/autos/young-oldtimer/land-rover-series-iii.html?utm_source=discoverrevell&utm_medium=teil-1&utm_campaign=landrover

Edited by hpiguy

18 hours ago, mk11 said:

I want one of these  ^_^

lndrvr.jpg

Would love to find a kit of one of these a bit more reasonably priced. I drove one of these in high school working at the Mercedes/BMW dealer, we used it to pull cars in from the back lot and run errands. Never worried about getting a speeding ticket, but it had no problem going thru snow or mud!

Inspiration!  Nick Nolte's ride in the 1978 movie "Who'll Stop the Rain."  ImcdB identifies this one as a 1958 Land-Rover 109'' LWB Series II Station Wagon.

I think all available 1/24 kits are Series III. But I don't know much about Land Rovers, and identify them as "headlights inside the fenders" (Series II) or "headlights on the fenders"  (Series III). 

lr_ds.jpg

I'm another guy who would like to see that Monogram Land Rover released again.  I've seen it built up, but I've never owned one myself.  The examples I've seen have all been over $100.   Now If I wanted to take a hit for the team,  I would buy one of these.  That would instantly result in the kit being reissued!   Here's the three that pop up on an eBay search:

image.png.e287ee7155fe45ad8bd0ba43433cdf97.png

IF Revell has this tooling, it would make sense to release it as a Revell of Germany kit.  I'm sure the rest of the world would be more apt to buy this than the US market.  

Every substantial rumor about that Monogram Land Rover is that the tooling doesn't exist for it anymore, and versions of that tale I've heard have it sourced to Monogram employees from that time. If it existed you'd think it would be reissued to compliment the new kit.