Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Revell Landrover Kit.

Re-posting the link to Chuck Most's article about the Monogram Land Rover.  It should answer all your questions about the kit. TL;DR Version: the Monogram Rover is the only kit with an engine, and the only 2-door, short wheelbase version ever made. The ESCI/Italeri kits are all 2-door, long wheelbase versions. The kit was a giant flop, and the molds probably no longer exist.

http://chuckmost.wixsite.com/madhouse-miniatures/single-post/2015/04/07/The-Sad-and-Sordid-tale-of-Monograms-Land-Rover

is there any info on whether it has an engine? If it has the V8, it would be a good source for copying some in resin for use in your MGBs or Morgans; and if it doesn't, there are at least two aftermarket Rover V8s that could be slotted in...

http://modelkars.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1237

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

On 02/07/2019 at 9:33 PM, Matt Bacon said:

is there any info on whether it has an engine? If it has the V8, it would be a good source for copying some in resin for use in your MGBs or Morgans; and if it doesn't, there are at least two aftermarket Rover V8s that could be slotted in...

http://modelkars.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1237

best,

M.

It's being modelled on an early 1970 109" station wagon, I've seen a few photos of the 3D model there working on, I'm not sure if it's going to have an engine, but it's being classed as a level 3 model,the Citroen 2cv has the same level and does indeed has an engine, the V8 didn't come out until 1979 and the front panel was totally different to the regular Series 3,plus permanent 4x4 as it used the gearbox from the Range rover.

Edited by GeeBee

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I love Land Rovers and while it's great they are making one, they are making a mistake in creating this version. This is a near re release of the old ESCI kit.

Why not make a model of the Defender 90?  That's easily one of the most desirable Land Rovers of all time.  What about the Discovery I&II? That was one of the all time best selling SUV's. Those kits would see easy.

It's Revell, I would be surprised to see them make a "modern" Land Rover kit when they haven't even yet made a glue 6th gen Mustang or non-snap current F150. Those Land Rover subjects would be more likely under Fujimi or Aoshima, maybe Tamiya though they seem to have cut back on the new subjects.

From the link that Luc posted, translated from German so you don't have to.

Positive:
- Detailed engine, engine compartment and underbody
- Open hood
- Front axle movable
- Model can be built as a right or left-hand drive
- Optional seats
- Numerous details on the outside of the model
Negative:
- All doors are shown closed
- Smaller details of the interior were not considered

Edited by martinfan5

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Negative:
- All doors are shown closed
- Smaller details of the interior were not considered

If the worst thing you can say about the kit is the doors don't work and some inconsequential interior parts were sacrificed to the budget in order to make the part of the model kit you actually see when it's sitting there on your display shelf better.  Well that's a balance I'm willing to accept.

Edited by niteowl7710

49 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

If the worst thing you can say about the kit is the doors don't work and some inconsequential interior parts were sacrificed to the budget in order to make the part of the model kit you actually see when it's sitting there on your display shelf better.  Well that's a balance I'm willing to accept.

I think this sums it up perfectly

Ye9PMjU.jpg