Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Ford Chopped 4-Door Sedan Conversion

Dennis Lacy

Scan0002.thumb.jpg.7f1bab23f9d9a1116bb9aa5c16ad50c1.jpgHello Dennis.  Will the staggered chop work on a 32-34 5-window or 3-window coupe? Very nice work. Found an old issue of #11 of the little pages Kustom&Hot Rod Models mag. It features four of your builds.All worth checking out.

wmobie Walt O'Brien Green Mountains VT

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!

After a round of sanding & primer followed by a round of filler, sanding and primer here is where the Fordor conversion is at. Just a couple of nit-picky things to address and the body will be ready to send to Ed at Drag City Casting where it will be reproduced in resin and available for public consumption.

1561433514207-vi.jpg

1561433633802-vi.jpg

1561433546490-vi.jpg

1561433620107-vi.jpg

1561433608010-vi.jpg

1561433565812-vi.jpg

1561433556581-vi.jpg

B)

Dennis, I am in awe of your craftsmanship around the window openings!  I have been modelling forever and have a reasonable skill set but the biggest obstacle I come across to completing my chop top projects is getting all of ol' Henry's window mouldings back to perfect.  It seems like just one extra swipe of the file or sandpaper and you have a gouge or a groove or some mark that requires more putty and then you're back to square one.

So here you are with a car with no less than six windows and no less than eight posts and you have them looking absolutely flawless.  That is a skill that I will continue to dream of mastering.  My hat is off to you, sir, that is truly magnificent.

And, might I add, that is a very  fine chop.  We have a fair few chop top 4 doors here in Australia, simply because very few two door sedan anythings were sold pre-48. 1928, 29 Model A Tudors and 39/40 slopers are about the only ones I can think of.  Go to an Aussie rod run and you are bound to see at least one chopped 32 4 door and a maybe a few more chopped 33-34 four doors.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton
typo

On 6/27/2019 at 12:40 AM, alan barton said:

Dennis, I am in awe of your craftsmanship around the window openings!  I have been modelling forever and have a reasonable skill set but the biggest obstacle I come across to completing my chop top projects is getting all of ol' Henry's window mouldings back to perfect.  It seems like just one extra swipe of the file or sandpaper and you have a gouge or a groove or some mark that requires more putty and then you're back to square one.

So here you are with a car with no less than six windows and no less than eight posts and you have them looking absolutely flawless.  That is a skill that I will continue to dream of mastering.  My hat is off to you, sir, that is truly magnificent.

And, might I add, that is a very  fine chop.  We have a fair few chop top 4 doors here in Australia, simply because very few two door sedan anythings were sold pre-48. 1928, 29 Model A Tudors and 39/40 slopers are about the only ones I can think of.  Go to an Aussie rod run and you are bound to see at least one chopped 32 4 door and a maybe a few more chopped 33-34 four doors.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks so much for your nice comments, Alan!

This is, by far, the most extensive body modifications I've attempted to date and I'm no body-man! I've chopped other tops before but with the extra door posts and all those windows (and seams to make all those windows) it was very time consuming. I'm glad it's nearly finished!

B)

On 6/29/2019 at 2:50 AM, Cpt Tuttle said:

Now that's a nice conversion, you don't see many fordors in scale, and even nicer with a top chop.

Thank you!

There was a company, Hendrix, offering a '32 Fordor (2 actually, one AMT based and one Revell based) but it was stock roof. I'm not a huge fan of a stock roof '32 Fordor but I love them chopped. I hope this one is a good seller for my friends resin business because it's chopped and way more Hot Rod. 

B)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bringing this thread back up because I'm happy to report that resin duplicates of this 1932 Fordor Sedan conversion are now on-line and available to order from Ed at Drag City Casting. For more info check out the thread that I made in the aftermarket forum.

As a reward for my efforts creating the master body I received the first two production bodies out of the mold a couple of weeks ago.

1570717741293-vi.jpg

I am going to keep the first one simple with some basic kit-bashing and relatively minor modifications for the sake of being able to see one of these finished. So far (using Revell's '32 Sedan as a donor) I have modified the suspension to sit a couple of scale inches lower, widened the rear axle a half inch and replaced the kits disc brakes with early Ford drum plates from Revell's '40 and '48 Ford kits. The front wheels are also Revell '48 Ford set into slightly modified Modelhaus T120 tires. The rear tires are Monogram '41 Lincoln with modified Revell-based wheels that I mastered and Ed at Drag City also currently sells. (He casts the tires, too, as long as you don't mind painting them black.) The engine is the Sedan kits optional flathead but I will be replacing the Edelbrock equipment with the Navarro pieces from Revell's '48 Custom Coupe. The stock looking firewall is also from Drag City. (You guys should definitely check them out!)

1571020101995-vi.jpg

1571020123175-vi.jpg

1571020263170-vi.jpg

1571020366290-vi.jpg

1571020410942-vi.jpg

Edited by Dennis Lacy

12 hours ago, mrm said:

Looking nice. How much are the bodies going for? I can’t find contact info. Phone, site, e-mail?

There are few items I would like to get. 

If you were to punch my name or the business name into a Google or Bing search you'd find my contact info all over the place! LOL! It's at the top of my Fotki albums, should be in my business card logo signature at the bottom of many of my posts in certain forums; and more recently through the business page on Facebook. Shoot me a line if there's anything I can help you out with! Ed

lowcab36@epix.net

16 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

It's nice to see a correctly and nicely done chop on any vintage Ford body and this one is certainly not disappointing. With all drip moldings and window molding intact as they should be.Thanks foe sharing your exceptional talent with us.

Talent with a huge splash of luck! ?

In all seriousness, thank you! That means a lot coming from you. ?