Model Cars Magazine Forum

Early Funny Car Reference

Not well versed on Funny Cars of the 60s-70s but have always liked them.  Does anyone have a reference source (book, website, etc.) where I might study up on their construction details?

Edited by afx

I think it has been posted around here - there is a good set of Tom West's early 1970's funny car reference photos from the old Straightliner model builders forum - excellent detail shots from a model builders perspective.  They were from the time that he was working on the 1/16 Aurora kit projects.  Googling his cutaway drawings will also provide a lot of information.

The Revell 1/16 scale instruction sheets have good ignition wiring and plumbing details that weren't included in the 1/25 scale kits.  The Aurora 1/16 instruction sheets are probably just as good, 

A Google image search for Enderle injector diagrams will have lots of information on the fuel system plumbing - in the '70's, it wasn't as complicated as it looks. 

hope this helps

Edited by Muncie

JC,

Tom West's X-ray drawings are beautiful!

Your link for the 1/25 instruction has all of the detail that is on the 1/16 instruction sheets.  Good to know.  It's interesting that the 1/25 sheet that I just checked didn't have any ignition or plumbing detail.   Must be some do, some don't.

Do a search, look for Jim Keeler's "Unraveling the Snakepit" series of articles in the old CAR MODEL magazine from the late Sixties.  Those articles break down routing of brake lines, fuel lines, coolant lines, and throttle linkage.  Between those articles and any of the Revell 1/16 scale kit instruction sheets, you should be good to go.  

For information on a particular car, the best source will usually be a feature article from a period magazine.  When that can't be had, the websites and books referenced earlier should be fine.

I have the entire Unraveling The Snake Pit article, along with a fair amount of other photos of the  restored Hawaiian. I'll use them, if I ever resurrect the StraightLineModeler website. The article files are pretty large, but, I am happy to post them, if there's interest.

Edited by Straightliner59

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I have the entire Unraveling The Snake Pit article, along with a fair amount of other photos of the  restored Hawaiian. I'll use them, if I ever resurrect the StraightLineModeler website. The article files are pretty large, but, I am happy to post them, if there's interest.

I for one would love to read them Daniel.

11 hours ago, afx said:

The Gene Snow 1/25 scale kit does have some wiring/plumbing info.

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/revell-instructions/straightline-competition/revell-gene-snow-sn/?view=roll#1

Anyone have a scan of the Revell 1/16 scale kit instructions?

Those instructions are great resource (I'm also gathering this info for when I eventually start the Black Magic car)!  Not only they provide "plumbing" info, they also describe what each component is!  Too bad that the Fotki site is missing few page scans.

2 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Here are photos I took in the shop, during the Hawaiian's restoration. Interesting story as to how these came about. I threw in the hula girl in Gregg's honor! :D

pitsh0003.jpg

This would be a Logghe chassis - correct?  These are great!!  This is the kind of info I'm looking for, detail shots.  I understand every car will have variations but it would be nice to have good general information on the most common type of chassis used during the period.

Edited by afx

58 minutes ago, afx said:

This would be a Logghe chassis - correct?  These are great!!  This is the kind of info I'm looking for, detail shots.  I understand every car will have variations but it would be nice to have good general information on the most common type of chassis used during the period.

It is, indeed, a Logghe. The article is easily the best single source reference for funny cars of that era, and likely any era. Glad I could help!