Model Cars Magazine Forum

61 Impala build

Johnt671

I started this model in 2013 when I first got back to building. I picked up a 61 Impala convertible since I owned one years ago. The hood was badly warped and I couldn't make it look right so I posted a needed post. A member sent me the entire hard top kit for the hood, but it didn't fit the convert. I painted it with Paint Scratch paint that I had for my Mercedes. I'll post the color later. I had problems getting the paint right so I set it aside until now.

I got the paint right finally, and will now finish it up. It's stock because I didn't have very many parts stashed away.

I impressed myself when I flocked the floor, this is the best I've done so far.

20190520_172443[1].jpg

20190520_172451[1].jpg

20190520_172521[1].jpg

On 5/21/2019 at 6:27 PM, Modlbldr said:

That's looking like a good start. Keep us posted.

Later-

Thanks. Jury duty slowed me down some. I also realized I didn't have the glass in the box so I had to hunt for it. But I found it.

21 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Did you intend to flock your vinyl floor mats?

As it's a top of the line for 61, it was ordered with carpeted mats instead of the cheaper vinyl style. A few more pictures. Two coats of Pledge and a light buffing gave the hood some shine. I'm getting closer to the dreaded BMF.

20190524_171337.jpg

20190524_171407.jpg

20190524_171732.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, geetee66 said:

Well worth the effort.

it looks great!

how did you get the flocked carpet to look so nice?

Mostly luck. The first job I did came out OK, but not great. After it did that one I didn't have any luck at all. I brushed paint on the floor but it wasn't working out. Either the paint dried too fast or I didn't get enough flocking down fast enough because it wasn't a nice smooth coating. For this one I used Painters Touch tan spray and a heavy load of flocking, pressed it down with my thumb and then another heavy coat of flocking which was left to set overnight. I removed the excess and you see the results.

Maybe I didn't let my earlier attempts dry long enough?

Thanks for the info. I've used double sided tape, with good results.

allowing everything to dry properly is probably where I've been going wrong. I tend to tap off the excess flocking too soon. Then it looks lumpy. Tape is smoother ?

On 6/10/2019 at 2:45 AM, geetee66 said:

Thanks for the info. I've used double sided tape, with good results.

allowing everything to dry properly is probably where I've been going wrong. I tend to tap off the excess flocking too soon. Then it looks lumpy. Tape is smoother ?

You're welcome. I may give the double stick tape a try.

More pictures.

20190616_135501.jpg

20190616_135509.jpg

20190616_135518.jpg

On 6/16/2019 at 5:08 PM, NOBLNG said:

Very Nice! I have a Lindberg '61 Impala that I just started. I will be inspired by your build.

Thanks. I was working on the other day and while trying to get the last major piece on, dropped it on the floor and some It broke off and went flying some where. I'm still looking for a few pieces. So for now it's back in the box. I was so close too. After that one piece all it needed was the chrome trim and it would have been done.

3 hours ago, Johnt671 said:

Thanks. I was working on the other day and while trying to get the last major piece on, dropped it on the floor and some It broke off and went flying some where. I'm still looking for a few pieces. So for now it's back in the box. I was so close too. After that one piece all it needed was the chrome trim and it would have been done.

Oooh, that is maddening! I have never dropped an entire model (touch wood!) but I have had pieces disappear into the carpet forever.

• 2 weeks later...

This one is done. A teaser picture with a 61 conv which was the second kit I did after returning to building in 2013. The convert. is modeled after one I owned in 1969, just before I went in the service.

Thanks to all who commented and checked this thread out. I'm going to post some pictures in Under Glass.

IMG_0234.JPG