Model Cars Magazine Forum

Primer question

A lot of us here use Duplicolor sandable primer, you can get it at most auto parts stores.  Tamiya makes a "better" primer, it goes on super thin, but it's much more expensive than the Duplicolor, and not nearly as available.  I use Duplicolor pretty much exclusively these days.  

28 minutes ago, gijoe said:

A lot of us here use Duplicolor sandable primer, you can get it at most auto parts stores.  Tamiya makes a "better" primer, it goes on super thin, but it's much more expensive than the Duplicolor, and not nearly as available.  I use Duplicolor pretty much exclusively these days.  

Duplicolor also has a nice primer/sealer that I use a lot.

Just keep in mind that Duplicolor primers are designed for automotive use and are hotter than hobby primers.

Duplicolor primers are every bit as good as Tamiya or any other hobby primer, (better than some) at half the price.

Steve

5 hours ago, mariojr said:

So do I just do more lighter coats

Exactly.

Sometimes I'll lay down a coat of a cheap primer, or something like Testors primer, prior to spraying Duplicolor, just to add a little protection against the hotter Duplicolor.

Then several light coats of the Duplicolor.

Of course, this all depends on what kind of paint you're putting over it.

If you're using a hot paint like automotive lacquer, you need a good barrier to prevent plastic crazing.

If you're using a simple hobby enamel or a "pseudo" hobby lacquer, all you need is some cheap dollar store stuff.

Steve

Hobby primers are packaged in smaller cans and therefore cost more per ounce. As with any paint, light coats are easier to deal with than one heavy coat. Trial and error will help you learn how to apply primer and determine which one works best for you.

On a side note, if you haven't already discovered, some of the Ace Hardware stores in the Waukegan area have models and supplies. I grew up there years ago and remember when there were hobby shops and models could be found EVERYWHERE in town!

7 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Hobby primers are packaged in smaller cans and therefore cost more per ounce. As with any paint, light coats are easier to deal with than one heavy coat. Trial and error will help you learn how to apply primer and determine which one works best for you.

On a side note, if you haven't already discovered, some of the Ace Hardware stores in the Waukegan area have models and supplies. I grew up there years ago and remember when there were hobby shops and models could be found EVERYWHERE in town!

They’re all gone now. I use to go to friends hobbies that was the best. Only place that I know of that sells models now is ace hardware 

1 hour ago, mariojr said:

They’re all gone now. I use to go to friends hobbies that was the best. Only place that I know of that sells models now is ace hardware 

Not sure if it's still around, but there was an old school hobby shop in Kenosha called Don's Hobbies. I think it was near 63rd St and 22nd Ave. He had models stacked and priced cheap. Nice old guy, I am sure he has since sold or closed it but worth a look next time you are in Kenosha. If you can drive to Milwaukee, The Model Empire is a cool place, lots of old kits as well as new issues. It's down the street from the State Fairgrounds in West Allis.

I only use spray cans, so this may not help you, but I always use Duplicolor because it comes in several colors, several types and is available at every auto parts store near me. I've never had any trouble with it, it is always consistent dries quickly and doesn't react to any paint I use.The only prier I've ever had trouble with is the generic hardware store type and the Rustoleum primers. My Hobby Lobby just started carrying the Mr. Surfacer and the Tamiya primers. I haven't tried them yet but I hear they are good.

On 5/21/2019 at 3:00 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Duplicolor also has a nice primer/sealer that I use a lot.

Just keep in mind that Duplicolor primers are designed for automotive use and are hotter than hobby primers.

Duplicolor primers are every bit as good as Tamiya or any other hobby primer, (better than some) at half the price.

Steve

I do use Duplicolor almost exclusively, they are very good.  But, if money wasn't a concern, I would use Tamiya, I think it's a better primer, just not better enough to justify the price difference over Tamiya.  

On 5/25/2019 at 10:48 AM, gijoe said:

I do use Duplicolor almost exclusively, they are very good.  But, if money wasn't a concern, I would use Tamiya, I think it's a better primer, just not better enough to justify the price difference over Tamiya.  

Certainly, everybody has their own preferences.

Personally, I would choose Duplicolor over Tamiya simply for the much better spray nozzle alone.

Steve

On 5/21/2019 at 11:32 PM, mikemodeler said:

Yeah I rememember those days. And, I recently discovered that Ace had some hobby paint and supplies. Not quite a Hobby Lobby, but some basic paints and stuff.