Model Cars Magazine Forum

Madgnific: Monte-Carlo based custom wagon

Claude Thibodeau

Hi!

I was impressed by a Steve Stanford illustration, a couple of years ago, depicting a Nomad wagon based on the 1970 Monte-Carlo. Seemed feasible by mashing a Monte-Carlo and the 1964 Chevelle wagon. Hours of fabrication, mostly for the rear cabin & canteliver roof. Scratchbuilt pace-car lightbar made of Dollar store coloured plastic felt pens spliced lenghtwise. 

Tamya's TS 87 & testor's Wetlook clear. 

I'm a big fan of ANYTHING Mr. Stanford illustrates...

CT

DSC00142 (2).JPG

DSC00144 (2).JPG

DSC00147 (2).JPG

DSC00146.JPG

Hi!

To Espo's point, the tailgate is simply the MC rear panel (trunk) slightly extended in an arc at the top. The glass is the one-piece unit from the 64 Chevelle, trimmed height-wise, with grooves to simulate the sliding side window & opening pillar-less rear glass & top hatch panel in the roof.

The Chevelle roof is mostly stock at the rear, but with the corner pillars gone, it makes for a more contemporary look. The front of the Chevelle roof had to be substituted with the windshield and upper header panel from an MPC 1972 GTO, to have a glass that matched both the cowl & top windshield proportions. The B-pillar is .040 styrene sheet trimmed to fit. 

Mr. Sanderson's sketch had dark tinted window... but the rear platform was a lot of work, so out of vanity, I left the glass clear. 

CT

DSC00149.JPG

Hi!

Thanks for the comments. 

As you can see in the illustration provided by Bruce, Mr. Stanfordd took the licence to lower it even more, with larger diameter rollingstock. I tried it with bigger wheels at mock-up, but it would have required tubs in the rear, and getting rid of the front wheels splash pans altogether.

I felt the roof design was strong enough to make a good impression without going so far. Next time, maybe. 

If one of you guys does an encore on this design, and go for the big wheels, please post it here. I'd be delighted to see it. 

Long live Steve Stanford!

CT