Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 AMC Ambassador

Tom99

I finished this 1966 AMC Ambassador in Scalefinishes AMC, Marquessa Light Mauve (P-21A).

It was a bear to assemble. A lot of cutting and fitting was required. There were deep gouges across the front fenders and hood.

The drip rail on one side, was missing.

100_3081.JPG

100_3082.JPG

Yes, very nice paint and assembly; and a great color to boot!  Speaking of us old guys knowing the real cars, I distinctly remember a family trip up the road to Kenosha for a factory tour of the assembly line and marveling, as a six year old, at the line of '66 Ambassadors (and other Ramblers and AMCs) moving along as they became complete, new cars!  Reminded me of a car assembly line toy I wanted called "Barney's Auto Factory".   

I've never seen that model before, and I've been building kits since the late 50s. There was an old doctor that lived across the street when I was growing up. He always had Ramblers and I remember one he had that was very similar to this.

Very nice job on a car that's simply not seen anymore! My Mom had a close friend for many years and AMC's were what she always bought including a car like this. These cars could be tough as nails if it weren't for the tinworm claiming a lot of them.

22 hours ago, Peter Lombardo said:

Too bad these old kits are so hard to come by..... in a few years, us old guys who knew the real cars of this age will be gone and so will a desire to build them, I fear. 

I was just talking to a fellow earlier at work before he left for the night about this very thing. He's a lot younger (mid 30's) and I was talking about the cars I used to see as a kid in the '60's that just aren't seen including this one. So yeah, it's a reality that as time goes on less and less of these types of cars will be talked about and built. :(

Edited by MrObsessive

22 hours ago, Shambles said:

I've never seen that model before, and I've been building kits since the late 50s. There was an old doctor that lived across the street when I was growing up. He always had Ramblers and I remember one he had that was very similar to this.

Me neither , never saw it in the last 50 years.

Very nice. I think that AMC was a much underappreciated company. They did build some rather nice vehicles in their time. It's a shame that most younger folks don't know what an AMC is. Fortunately for this 26 year old, I happen to love automobiles of all kinds.